Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:23

Review 206. Sarah Maas - The assassin's blade.

Title: –0.1: The assassin and the pirate lord.
          -0.2: The assassin and the desert.
          -0.3: The assassin and the underworld.
          -0.4: The assassin and the empire.
Author: Sarah J. Maas.
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA.
Sort: Novella’s from ‘Throne of glass.’

Rating
:

”She knew the world still passed by, unaffected by the death of a young man, unaware that he’d ever existed and breathed and loved her. She hated the world for continuing on.”

13415554On a remote island in a tropical sea, Celaena Sardothien, feared assassin, has come for retribution. She’s been sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect on a debt they are owed by the Lord of the Pirates. But when Celaena learns that the agreed payment is not in money, but in slaves, her mission suddenly changes—and she will risk everything to right the wrong she’s been sent to bring about.
4 out of 5.
First of all, I have a girl crush on Celaena. Flawed and arrogant as she is, this girl is one kick-ass assassin. I like how she stood up for her opinion and how she tried to save lives by risking hers. It gives her even more complexity.
13419891
The Silent Assassins of the Red Desert aren’t much for conversation, and Celaena Sardothien wouldn’t have it any other way. She’s not there to chatter, she’s there to hone her craft as the world’s most feared killer for hire. When the quiet is shattered by forces who want to destroy the Silent Assassins, Celaena must find a way to stop them, or she’ll be lucky to leave the desert alive.
4 out of 5.
I liked how she changed because of her punishment for her trick in the first novella. She becomes a bit more humble an she seems to grow more conscious about her life and her bad treatment. The silent assassins are fascinating.
13546173
When the King of the Assassins gives Celaena Sardothien a special assignment that will help fight slavery in the kingdom, she jumps at the chance to strike a blow against an evil practice. The misson is a dark and deadly affair which takes Celaena from the rooftops of the city to the bottom of the sewer—and she doesn’t like what she finds there.
4 out of 5.
It was so cute to see the feelings between Celaena and Sam develop. He is a perfect match for her and I liked their bickering. Celaena is tough and it’s a good thing she finally realizes that her life can be better.
15757508
Celaena Sardothien is the assassin with everything: a place to call her own, the love of handsome Sam, and, best of all, freedom. Yet, she won’t be truly free until she is far away from her old master, Arobynn Hamel; Celaena must take one last daring assignment that will liberate her forever. But having it all, means you have a lot to lose . . .
5 out of 5.
Wow, just wow. You already know how this story is going to end, but it still ripped a hole in my chest. I never thought it would have such an impact on me, but it did. It was beautiful to see what an raw and soft side Celaena can have, but boy, I did regret his death. I started to really like him and Celaena together (still team Chaol though)

“Never to see that half smile. Never to hear his laugh, never to hear him say her name like it meant something special, something more than being Adarlan’s Assassin could ever mean. She didn’t want to go out into the world where he didn’t exist. So she watched the light shift and change, and let the world pass by with her.”

 

Overall review.
These are probably the best novella’s I’ve ever read (together with the one from Rae Carson named Shadow cat’s) What I loved is their length. Sarah took much effort and time to really create separate stories to get to know Celaena. These aren’t just 18 pages long stories like most novella's with hardly any background, no, these are well-thought long stories which add something to the series. These novella’s are worth your time and money. What I also liked is how they are tight together. Each story starts where the other ended, so it’s almost like reading a complete book with short time jumps. I definitely recommend reading these books if you are a fan of Throne of glass or if you want to see Sarah’s writing-style (which is perfect). I think it's even better to read these novella's for Throne of glass. I know some people have problems with Celaena, but I think these create the perfect step-up to the book. I re-read Throne of glass and I felt even more connected to her than I did the first time.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

42 comments:

  1. Haven't read a single novella from this series must remedy that soon. ;) Awesome review Mel. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I am glad that you loved them all so much :D I'm still not sure when I will give the first book another try :\ didn't even finish it the first time I tried to read it. Sigh. But oh, I'm not sure I could read these novellas. Love interest who then dies? Not fair. And it would probably feel like a love SQUARE to me, because of the love triangle in the main books, lol (A) but they do sound interesting, and I'm glad you enjoyed them :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, really? That surprises me Carina! I actually find this also a 'you' book, haha. I hope you're giving it another shot :)

      Delete
  3. So since I am a HUGE fan of this series (that is probably even an understatement) I bought all of these novellas a while ago but have yet to read them because I never really think about novellas in general. In fact, I've never read a single novella. But I do want to read them and they shouldn't take up much of my time (I didn't realize they would only be ~18 pages). I am glad that you enjoyed them so much and felt that they were well done. I'll definitely have to read them soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, no, I see that my sentence could be interpreted like that. I changed it now. They aren't 18 pages long like most novella's. They are much longer and that was so good about them! Yes, HUGE fan is an understatement for me as well.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you liked these! I'm not always a novella person, but I agree that Sarah J. Maas has done a fantastic job with them here. And I think I have a bit of a girl crush on Celaena too. ;) Fantastic reviews, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Novella's are not really my thing either, but I want to read everything from Maas :D

      Delete
  5. Yay thanks for sharing your review on these novellas! I'm planning to do a back to back read of Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight, I'll add these into the mix as well, they sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! They really add something special to the series :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't tried out the novellas yet,but I love this series.Looks like they will make me understand Celaena more.I should go for these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really should read this series. I don't know what's holding me back. These novellas sound wonderful as well. So...someone died? Gawd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have yet to start this series but I've been meaning to for ages and I definitely will soon. I'll keep these in mind when I do, I'm glad they're not just short and superficial, but definitely worth your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, I hope you get started in Throne of glass soon <3

      Delete
  9. Annnnd this is where I get upset I don't have a Wendy clone, because I still haven't read the first book yet. *sigh* Four stars for all of them, though, is pretty impressive--novellas tend to vary so much in appeal.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed by these stories. I wish I could help you clone yourself, because Throne of glass is worth the read!

      Delete
  10. Wow that is a lot of novella! I still haven't read this book. I actually asked people on Twitter whether I should read it or not. Half said no and half said yes.. I heard that the MC is an assassin who didn't even assassin anyone? So that kinda turned me off. But it's also kick-ass which I love. I'm kind of torn! Maybe I'll DO read it one day, just not right now. Glad you are enjoying the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, but she makes up for it in Crown of midnight, which was epic ;)

      Delete
  11. I haven't read the novellas but the books are pretty good. I was rather meh about ToG but CoM wowed me. I ought to read these sometime. So great to see that they got better in each novella!

    Lovely mini reviews, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not really a novella reader because they tend do disappoint me. I also find it hard to connect to short stories. These, however, seem REALLY good and I'll probably give them a try! I really love how they are one story in several novella's and that they actually add to the books - way too often novella's are just random extra scenes, or something from the books from the POV of the love interest, which is really only for the hardcore love interest fans. They usually bring nothing to the story and are just a little 'present' for the fans, so I'm really glad these actually have a story to tell!

    Thank you for the reviews! I now know that I definitely need to read these ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Novella's and short stories aren't really my thing either. I like to be able to spend a lot of time in the book, but these were just fantastic. These novellas just felt like they complete the story and I love that!

      Delete
  13. Oooh I have Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight on my book shelf and hope to start them soon. Do you think I should wait until after reading those before reading the novellas, or can I do the novellas first? Either way, it's promising to see someone say it's worth your time and money to read these. I wasn't sure if I would read them or not, but now I'm pretty excited just knowing they're not the general half-story blandness that novellas can sometimes be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think reading these novella's before Throne of glass gives you a background of Celaena and why she acts that way. There are sometimes hints in Throne of glass and those events are explored in the novella's, so it's up to you what you like :D Knowing it or first vague hints in ToG! And if you read the book first, I recommend reading the novella's and then CoM :)

      Delete
  14. I love characters that leave you with a serious case of girl crush! :D Caleana sounds awesome. I haven't read any of the books or novellas *I know.. right?! WHY?!* but I just LOVE how much thought Maas have put into the world and character building. I can't wait to get started on this series!! :) Thanks for the awesome mini reviews, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, there is something awesome waiting for you :D I hope you get to read it soon!

      Delete
  15. I'm hoping to officially start Throne of Glass soon. The plot and characters both sounds awesome. I'm glad the novellas are great, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to start this series (I just bought the first book) -- and I love that the novellas don't feel like a waste of time and a moneymaking ploy. Ones that feel like they connect to the actual story (and are meaty) are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great reviews, Mel! I'm so excited to read these myself, though I'm not a fan of ebooks/readng in that format, unfortunately.
    I really liked Celaena from the moment I started reading, but I will really enjoy seeing this background, what she was like working and what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are going to be published in a bundle :D!

      Delete
  18. Wow, such high ratings for these novellas! I can't wait until it releases out in paperback so I can finally read it (I sadly don't have a ereader. D:)
    I wish I can see how Celaena changed like you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Despite my firm standing against novellas -- I don't hate them; I just kind of think they're a waste of time as mostly they don't add much to the story -- I have to say that after reading several reviews for some other novellas, that mindset is changing. And now your rave reviews for these! >.> It would be wonderful to be able to return into the world of Celaena while waiting for my book buying ban to be over so I can get CROWN OF MIDNIGHT. I love that we're given more insight into her character in these books, because I felt that I didn't really understand her much in THRONE OF GLASS, and I didn't find her to be the "deadly assassin" the author wanted her to be.

    "Each story starts where the other ended, so it’s almost like reading a complete book with short time jumps." -- I love the sound of this! Mostly novellas take place from the POV of a minor character, and it usually doesn't happen right after the events of the first book in the series, which only makes things more confusing. So I'd appreciate this a lot!

    Great review(s), Mel! I'm definitely more intrigued to try out these novellas. Who knows? They might change my overall opinions for these mini-books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a novella fan either, but I'll read everything from Maas :p I hope you try these out. It would be funny to compare our thoughts and it might change your opinion too :D

      Delete
  20. YES! SO thrilled you liked these!! I recently read the ToG series, LOVED it. But I only heard after that I should have read these novellas first! I finally managed to get them this week & seeing your review for them guarantees that I will be diving in very, very soon :D Thanks for sharing ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you think about them :D

      Delete
  21. I STILL haven't read any of these yet! I really need to make time to. I love the series so much.

    My Friends Are Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the chance to read them soon :D!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0