Monday, October 14, 2013 11:59

Review 205. Julie Kagawa – The iron traitor.

15811405Title: The iron traitor.
Author: Julie Kagawa.
Pages: 304.
Expected publication: October 29th 2013 by Harlequin Teen
Sort: Part two of ‘Call of the forgotten.’ Spin off to the Iron fey series.
Part one: The lost prince.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.

In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice. After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as "normal" as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for-his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again. But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, "normal" simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all.
Rating

Such a cruel way to end your book, Kagawa! But credits for not frustrating me, because I kind of liked it. It seems like Kagawa is someone who knows how to handle cliff-hangers with grace. I think I liked the first book, The lost prince, better. There was something off about this book. Whether it’s the rough beginning or the fact that I miss the charm from The Iron Fey, I didn’t fully love it. (And I hate the cover, he's creepy!)

Summary
.
Ethan and Kenzie are back in their world and they are in trouble. Not only is he forbidden to see her by her father, Ethan is contacted by Meghan. Keirran is missing and she has no idea where he can be. Ethan decides to find him together with Kenzie and they disappear into the land of faeries for a second time. They have no idea what they will be facing, but Keirran is deeper in trouble then they realize. A desperate person is ready to do anything – and Keirran wants to bargain everything to save the love of his life.

Review.
The first thing that surprised me is the fact that it took me a long time to get invested in the story. Kagawa normally knows how to hook me to her story, but it had to grow on me. The first half feels like a set-up for the true story, which starts towards the ending. In the beginning it’s more talking than action. It wasn’t bad, but it made the story a bit slow. When the plot finally kicked in, I remembered why I love her books. It was great to see Puck, Grimalkin and a glimpse of Ash. These characters are still my favorites. The character in this book just seem to miss something.

I was surprised by how much I liked the romance. I’m someone who prefers action, but it was adorable. Kenzie and Ethan’s feelings are growing and it was cute to watch them together. I also liked Keirran and how he is willing to do everything for Annwyl. This was one of the first times I didn’t mind how romance-based the plot was and it suited the story.

The ending is the way I like it. Be prepared for a shocker that makes you hungry for more!
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

49 comments:

  1. I had to skim your review because I haven't read this series- I'm planning too! Don't punch me :P But it's a shame to hear that this one couldn't get you right in within the first pages. I loved her vampire series and it was so easy to get into so I see what you mean.

    Fabulous review, hun! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could have read the review, there are no spoilers, but I hope you get to read it soon!

      Delete
    2. Haven't read anything by Julie Kagawa hehe xD I'm planning to start her serieses when my current TBR has decreased haha Great review! I'm a bit wary though since I don't normally enjoy romance based plot but hopefully I'll still manage to enjoy it :)

      Delete
    3. I think it's best to start with The immortal rules :D!

      Delete
  2. I read the first book in the series and I liked it a lot! I don't know why I didn't keep up with it. I agree with you about the cover. That guy is kind of creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps because there are so many other books? :p I sometimes loose track of all the books I still need to read.

      Delete
  3. I was so happy to be back in the Iron Fey world that I loved every single word of this book. And hey, the traitor has to be creepy, no?
    I do get what you're saying though, the pace is a little different, so I can see how it was harder to get into.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never expected Kierran to be SO creepy :p Not with his two good looking parents.

      Delete
  4. I finished this one some days ago, and I really liked it. I don't like Keirran, that was my main problem. He could be Megan and Ash's son, but I don't feel anything about him. But I love Ethan to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was slightly disappointing with a strong finish as well. But I will keep reading when more come out though. LOVE Kagawa!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the first book in The call of the Forgotten-series. I hope this one will be as good - or even better! I'd loved The Iron Fey and I enjoyed this series so far. It's about time I get my hands on this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I am the only one who hasn't read this series :P I don't plan to because The Iron Fey really did not work out for me :(
    Although Kagawa does have a way with cliffhangers doesn't she? :P

    Hopefully the next book will be better for you though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, if you don't like the Iron fey I don't think you'd love this either, so great decision. Did you try The immortal rules? :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a shocker of an ending! I do agree, the cover is scary lol. Great review, thanks for keeping it spoiler free :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you like this one. I think you're right, The Lost Prince is stronger. I wasn't as in love with the romance as you are. I felt like Kenzie just interjected herself into the plot too much, and that irritated me a bit. But I agree that the beginning half is pretty slow moving. The plot doesn't pick up until much later and this one is more romance-driven. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see what you mean. I guess I just liked her spunk, but I wouldn't have liked the romance so much if I didn't like her.

      Delete
  10. Awesome review :D Though I'm sorry you didn't fully love it. I gave it a three star too. Just many things that bothered me :\ Sad face. But oh yes. That ending! So evil but I kind of loved it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw your review and I think we are on the same page!

      Delete
  11. Is there really a way to handle cliffhangers with grace? hmmm I really need to get to reading this series. Do you know how many before she is done? I'm tired of reading series that are still ongoing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, yes :D! I think it worked great with the book without making me too frustrated. I only know that one other book is scheduled in 2014, but I think there is a good chance it will be 4 books :) If you look at her other series, she tends to write more than 3.

      Delete
  12. I agree that the first half was just a groundwork for the ending. I'm glad you loved the romance, apparently I have problems with the girls. :P Great review. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, if you have problem with them it makes it hard to enjoy the romance :p

      Delete
  13. I haven't read this yet, but I'm a bit worried about that first half. When a book doesn't immediately hook me, it's way too easy for me to put it down. So I hope the ending will make up for it... But knowing Julie Kagawa, that probably won't be a problem!

    I'm glad the romance between Kenzie and Ethan is further developed, but I wasn't an extreme fan of Kierran/Annwhyn.

    Thank you so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Neat to see that even though you much prefer action, you still really fell for the romance in this one. The only thing I have read by Kagawa is The Immortal Rules and I wasn't a big fan of it so I have been holding off on her other stuff. Great to see that this series went out on such a high note for you despite the adjustment period in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it surprised me. Normally, romance-driven books annoy me and I feel like the plot is overwhelmed, but it seemed to work here :)

      Delete
  15. I wasn't expected to like the romance as much as I did either. It was surprisingly nice!. I must agree about the ending though! Authors love to torture us readers lol Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, torturing is something they excel in!

      Delete
  16. Aw! I love my romance, but in fantasy and dystopia--action is more preferable. I'm glad you really liked the romance and the ending. I'm sorry you didn't love it as much as you could have, but 3 stars is a good rating and I'm glad you liked it at the end of the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha, Kagawa is notorious for those cliffhanger endings. I haven't read this spin off yet but I do love her books and Iron Fey series was definitely a favorite of mine. Yay! If you like the romance then for sure I will like it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, it's too bad this one maybe isn't quite as engaging as the original series, but I'm still impressed that Julie Kagawa manages to publish so often and still write good romance and shockers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a shame you couldn't get invested in this one! I liked it much more than The Lost Prince, and found myself caring about the characters in a way I didn't in the first book. I do miss the original characters though! I love Julie, there's probably nothing she could write that I wouldn't enjoy!
    I agree, the cliffhanger was killer >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that I've enjoyed all her books so far!

      Delete
  20. I think I'm kind of over this world already, to be honest. And it certainly sounds like this spin-off series is not getting any better. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think she must continue to long in this world..

      Delete
  21. Oh Wow! This book has a lot of mixed opinions. Just yesterday, I've read Lexxie's 5 star review for this. Though some of your impressions are different, I also noticed that both of you enjoyed the romance and of course, the characters.

    I have already added this to my TBR list and ready for myself. At least this book still worked out for you despite its flaws. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't read any Julie Kagawa books but I've seen her name pop up quite a few times in the blogosphere. I'm glad to see overall you like her work, even if for this one it was a bit slow going into. I usually like a book to suck me in as soon as I open it. Not that I would DNF it if it didn't, but still usually is more fun that way!

    If you had to choose a Kagawa book to recommend / start off with, which would you choose? Her Iron Fey series? I'm quite curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if the beginning was better it probably would have added 0.5 to 1 on the rating! I think I'd recommend her book 'The immortal rules.' The Iron Fey series is a lot of fun, but that was the book that impressed me the most :)

      Delete
  23. Ugh, yes, the ending was just PAINFUL. I mean, I think I saw it coming about half the book in -- after that certain scene -- but it still didn't make it any less torturous. It's horrible, because Julie also ended THE ETERNITY CURE with a cliffhanger, too! But I know what you mean about liking it, kind of. I felt the same way as well. So strange!

    And lol, another weird thing is that we seemed to have differing opinions for this one. I was able to fall into the rhythm of the story fairly easily, and quickly got swept up by the action-packed scenes, but I didn't really fall for the romance. For some reason, it was just a little too unbelievable for me, like I didn't really buy how Ethan could've changed so suddenly from this supposed bad boy to a puddle of goo around Kenzie. There's no denying that the two have chemistry though, but I wish Julie had done the romance in a more... gradual way, I guess.

    But yes -- it was great to see more of Keirran and how his character turned out to be. His and Annywl's romance was SO sweet, but I think he was a bit crazy in this book. Especially what he did at the end. OMG. I can't believe we have to wait a YEAR. MEL. HOLD ME. *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she loves her cliff-hangers, haha. But these aren't as horrible as many others.

      Haha, lol, that's interesting. I can see why some people dislike the romance and I think it's either love it or hate it! Keirran was a bit on the loose, I agree :p *holds Meg*

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0