Tuesday, October 01, 2013 14:09

Review 201. Mira Grant – Parasite.

13641105Title: Parasite.
Author: Mira Grant.
Pages: 512.
Expected publication: October 29th 2013.
Publisher: Orbit.
Sort: Part one of ‘Parasitology’
Source:
Netgalley & Publisher.
A decade in the future, humanity thrives in the absence of sickness and disease. We owe our good health to a humble parasite - a genetically engineered tapeworm developed by the pioneering SymboGen Corporation. When implanted, the tapeworm protects us from illness, boosts our immune system - even secretes designer drugs. It's been successful beyond the scientists' wildest dreams. Now, years on, almost every human being has a SymboGen tapeworm living within them. But these parasites are getting restless. They want their own lives...and will do anything to get them.
Rating:

First thoughts after finishing this book: WOAH, what an amazing book. This is definitely the best book I’ve read with a medical aspect. I loved it! Being a soon-to-be-microbiologist, I felt very happy when I saw the well-written information. It was realistic and I can see that Grant did a lot of research. This resulted in a creepy and believable story. There were some very intense scenes where my heart sped up and I’m looking forward to see where this story is going to lead me.

The chapters are split into two different subjects: the first one are pieces of interviews and the beginning of the development of the tapeworm. It added a lot of background to the story and it completed the world-building. I liked seeing the start of the research and the precise reason they invented this tapeworm.

The second part is about Sally – now Sal – who woke up after being declared brain dead. She was involved in an accident and her parents were informed she’d never wake-up. But she did and now, six years later, Sal is followed by the engineers from the tapeworm, Symbogen. They still don’t understand how it’s possible that she survived and they keep testing her. She has amnesia and must attend a psychologist to find her old personality back, because Sal is nothing like the old Sally. Sal is trying to find her way in this world and she has a great boyfriend called Nathan, a microbiologist.

I really liked these two characters. Sal is ready to break free from her stamp and she has spunk. She is intelligent and I loved her non-whiny personality. Nathan is a sweetheart and it was fun to have an existing relationship. In YA we always have a lot of romance and insta-love, but here we have two people who are already in love. Refreshing.

The tapeworm is a puzzle made from different pieces of DNA. Almost everyone has one in their intestines to keep them healthy and safe from any diseases. This is pretty gross if you think about it. We’re always trying to keep our bodies clean from dangerous parasites and everyone carries voluntarily a worm inside them. But, so far so good, until many people develop a strange symptom. It’s called ‘sleepwalking’. People suddenly turn into some sort of zombies and they even start to get violent. Nobody knows what’s going on and I liked the tension this gives. Symbogen is already looking for answers, but they keep everything quiet.

Sal is done with the secrecy and when she gets an anonymous offer for answer, she and Nathan decide to take it. They are warned that the information is going to change their perspective of the tapeworm, but Sal wants to find out what’s going on. This part is sick and I was amazed. I was already starting to question some things about Sal and I was right (hence the 4.5 stars), but it was still magnificent and scary.

I guess that’s what you can expect when humans are playing for God. I really wish I could read part two right now, because the ending makes me so curious and hungry for more. Mira Grant knows how the write an engaging story. Two thumbs up for her research and writing-style. I have at least another series (Feed) to read in the time I'll be waiting for part 2.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

66 comments:

  1. This book sounds absolutely creepy but amazing. Great review! I'm glad to hear that Grant did her research. I can't wait to pick this one up. Plus that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love well-developed and researched books, and this seems to be both. And non-whiny characters for the win! I haven't heard of this before, but now I'm super interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I have a copy of this! I just skimmed your review and now I'm beating myself up over when I can get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds awesome and creepy! I'm glad the science is fairly sound, since badly researched science annoys me a lot. I'll keep an eye out for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this was badly researched, it would have annoyed me. This book stands on the science.

      Delete
  5. Seanan is known for the amount of research she puts into her books. She did such a fascinating job with the NEwsflesh trilogy, so I'm glad to hear she repeated it yet again. I can't wait to read this.
    Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, yay! So glad you loved it :D It sounds amazing. You make me want to read it :) Though that awful cover has made me not check it out at all, lol :p but ohh. It sounds really, really interesting. Thank you for being honest. <3 Interested in the romance that is already there :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhh this one sounds fantastic! so glad that you enjoyed this. it sounds like one I would also enjoy this, Fantastic review Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YEAH! I'm so stocked for this book after being a HUGE fan of her feed series. I've been seeing mixed reviews so I 'm always glad to see that people DO enjoy it and I think I will too. I love how every other paragraph is in interview form that sounds really cool and I always love different format styles in books in changes the pace I find. Anyways this whole premise sounds creepy and kind of awesome! :D Lovely review, doll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on what you look for in a book! This is heavily based on microbiology, but I think you'll like it :)

      Delete
  9. Hmm, I hadn't really given this book much thought, but after your review I think I am for sure going to pick it up once it is out. Sounds awesome. Great review hun (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eeeeee, 4.5 stars! I am not going to read your review yet since I haven't read the book, but I am so excited that you loved it. :D

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book sounds so good! Totally loving the already in love aspect, no need to read about annoying love triangles and instalove. The tapework sounds really icky (for lack of a better word) but also interesting. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh! I am starting this like in a few hours and I am so excited and scared! Let's hope it's not overly gruesome with the tapeworms etc... I read the first few pages and I'm kinda dead. So many weird medical terms and blahhhh.

    Great review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh, I'm so glad you loved it! I've been dying to get my hands on this one, it looks amazing! I've heard good things about Mira Grant...I have Feed requested for Horror October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading Feed for Horror October now! :D

      Delete
  14. I'd been seeing only mixed reviews for this book, so I was feeling kind of anxious because it has such a cool premise! I'm glad that it worked out for you, though. Definitely makes me feel a bit more relieved now. :) It sounds like the author really knew her stuff and what she was writing about. Also, I didn't know you were studying to become a microbiologist! (I had to Google up what that meant, haha.) That's so cool.

    "The chapters are split into two different subjects: the first one are pieces of interviews and the beginning of the development of the tapeworm." - I actually heard that the medical aspect was one of the things that brought down the book, because the reader couldn't understand what the author was talking about, what with all the scientific terms. I don't claim to be much of a science lover, so I'm wondering about that... My main concern, though, is that the book might be a little bit slow, since there doesn't seem to be much of a storyline, based on what you've said. Hmm.

    But yay for non-whiny characters! I'm hoping that they're starting to die out now, because I haven't been reading too many of them recently. Also, Nathan sounds adorable. "In YA we always have a lot of romance and insta-love, but here we have two people who are already in love. Refreshing." - Definitely! I'm starting to get more interested in how the romance will play out, and whether it'll be as impactful as when two characters are falling in love. <3

    I'm also intrigued about this "new perspective" of the tapeworm Sal and Nathan get. It's sick and horrifying? Tell me moreeee! I'm all for twisted and gory stuff, because sometimes gore makes things more real, and I think Mira Grant has a reputation for writing very realistically (with the FEED series), so I'm looking forward to this part.

    I should be reading PARASITE very soon, and now I can't wait to start it! Awesome review, Mel. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's pretty cool too :D Especially since it's such a big field (but I'm going to be medical microbiologist)

      Hmmm, yes, I think that's a problem for some people. I think it really depends on your interest and if you're willing to read much about the terms. I think this is either a book you hate or love!

      Oh yes, very sick and horrifying. I was shocked by it!

      Delete
  15. Hi Melanie!! :)

    OMG! Mira Grant's new book?! How come I haven't heard about it yet?? Gosh, I need to find a way to get my hands on it, like, NOW! :) Thank you so much for a wonderful review! My mom used to read lots of Robin Cook's books, which are also really good medical thrillers, but I personally haven't read a single medical-themed story so far. This looks like a great book to start with for sure! Thanks so much for bringing this one to my attention, so glad I stopped by on your blog today :)

    Evie @Bookish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evie! You are very welcome :D I love introducing books to other bloggers/readers.

      Delete
  16. AHHH! I'm so glad to see positive reviews of this book. I have an obsessive and frightening sort of love for the Newsflesh Trilogy so I am both extremely excited and insanely nervous about Parasite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to read Feed right now, can't wait!

      Delete
  17. I am reading this, this weekend during the Fraterfest read-a-thon and I adore this author, so glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you think about it!

      Delete
  18. I really liked Parasite, too, but I was expecting more action. It's good that the biological aspect appealed to you (I was really impressed at the amount of details we get and it was incredible, but biology has never been my strong suit, so I didn't understand most things). Mira Grant is an amazing writer and I've only read only one of her books so far. I'm super curious to see how they're going to deal with the tapeworm. And I agree about the romance - it was so good that Nathan and Sal were already together. I'm so hoping that the sequel will be available on NetGalley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why it's sometimes difficult to understand! Oh yes, I'll request it right away when it's up :D

      Delete
  19. I've actually been really curious about this book for quite some time! But I never looked into it much nor have I read any review on it. It sounds awesome from your review :)! I can't wait to check it out now.

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a great book! I've actually had my eye on this one for a while (and I can't lie, the cover attracts me as well) but haven't gotten around to picking it up. (I also have Feed on my wishlist as well! Ahhh so many books!) I really like that she did her research though! I wouldn't know any better since I don't have the background, but it just makes me feel better as a reader knowing an author was serious about getting it right. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading Feed right now, I've been hearing so many good things about it.

      Delete
  21. Great review! I can´t wait to read this one.
    Adriana @ Reading Fictional

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's been a while since I've read the synopsis, and I'd forgotten it was about tapeworm, which is absolutely disgusting. In other words bring it on. :) I plan to read Parasite this month, and I hope I enjoy it as much as you did!

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  23. I must read this - I love books with medical aspects, and I've heard awesome things about Mira Grant. Great review :-D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm reading it right now, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I don't really like it when Sal goes all, "The older Sal would . . ." but once the medical things come to play, I'm astounded. I felt the creeps, really, when I read it. It's just so frighteningly real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally agree. I can't wait to see what you think about the ending ;)

      Delete
  25. This sounds so good! I am listing it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I saw this on Goodreads the other day! It sounded so good, so I'm glad you liked it so much! I wasn't really sure if the medical theme would work for the book, but it seems like it did. :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great review. Been curious about this one so i'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. All those excerpts from interviews and research also made the story much more believable to me to. And I liked Sal, NAthan and their relationship too. I guessed the big revelation too, but somehow it still didn't make me like story any less.
    Great review Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loved this one, too, but there were some similarities to Feed and her October Daye series that really bummed me out. Still, I'm glad you really liked it--I know a lot of people abandoned it pretty early on because of all the sciencey stuff.

    Kate @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read those other books yet. I think it really depends on what you look for in a book :)

      Delete
  30. This books looks absolutely terrifying. I've been thinking about starting the Feed series so maybe I'll start with that and make my way to this? At least that way I can read the whole series right away and then start this one closer to when the second book is coming out? Basically what I'm trying to say is: Waiting is hard and everyone has so many good things to say about Mira Grant books that I just want to get on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a great idea to wait 'til the second book is closer, although it's a satisfying ending. I've also heard nothing but good about Feed!

      Delete
  31. This isn't my usual read but WHOA is right! This sounds amazing and the cover is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can't believe I'm only getting around to commenting on your review here just now - I've had it bookmarked since it went up! I've seen a lot of positive reviews for this one, but mostly coming from HUGE dystopian fans. I know you read more fantasy like me so I was really eager to see how you'd made out with it :) I am loving how well researched and creepy this one is sounding so I will need to get my hands on a copy now! The main characters sound really compelling too which is a big plus! Lovely review Mel ^^

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0