Thursday, October 31, 2013 14:40

Cast a Harry Potter spell (part 1.)

Jasmine from Flip that page made this awesome survey where we can cast Harry Potter spells on books. She made a list with spells and now I get to pick books I want to fix, destroy or love. This is part one 'Cast a spell.' Next time I'll be posting the second part 'Spells cast on you.'

cast
Reparo.
fixes damaged objects

A book that needs some serious fixing: Cameron Jace – Grimm Diaries prequel 1-6. The whole concept of this was great, but there were so many mistakes (even I could see them!) There were also some strange things, like the Death talking with ‘yo, told ya’ and ‘WTF’


Lumos.
creates a narrow beam of light
A book that deserves more attention: A.C Gaughen – Scarlet. I feel like I repeat myself over and over again, but this book is great. I hope it will get more attention because it’s a series now.

Nox.
counters the effects of Lumos
An overhyped book: Stephanie Perkins – Anna and the French kiss. I disliked this book and I don’t see the appeal. √Čtienne is not swoonworthy to me and there was far too much drama.

Accio.
summons an object from a significant distance
A book you’re anticipating: This was Marissa Meyer – Cress, but I've read an ARC, so I’m going with Leigh Barudo – Ruin and rising and the third untitled book from Sarah J. Maas.

Alohomora.
opens unlocked doors, unless bewitched
A book you want to be more open about: Markus Zusak– The book thief. This is one of my favorite books and I’ve only wrote one old post about it. I’m thinking about review it again.

Expecto Patronum.
conjures an incarnation of positive feelings
A book that made you cry, or at least want to: Jodi Lynn Anderson – Tiger Lily. Oh, this book is so good. The ending just shattered my heart.

Morsmordre.
conjures the Dark Mark
A book you wish to mark as one of your favorites: J.K Rowling – Harry Potter. Yeah. No explanation needed.

Petrificus Totalus.
petrifies victim
A book you wish to keep forever: Juliet Marillier – Wildwood dancing. This was one of my first experiences with fairytale retellings and I loved it.

Protego.
shield charm
An intimidating book you keep putting off: It was George R.R Martin – A game of thrones, but I finally read it this year and now I’m hooked.

Riddikulus.
used against a boggart
A book with a deceiving synopsis: Debra Driza – Mila 2.0. Promise: exciting action, heart-pounding scenes and an interesting android. The only thing I got was teenage angst, insta-love and a boring plot.

Lacarnum Inflamarae
shoots fireballs
A book you wish to burn out of your mind completely: Anna Carey – Rise, Lauren Oliver – Requiem. Do you see the trend here? Yeah, bad endings to a series.

Wingardium Leviosa
levitates objects
A book you wish to reread: I re-read often, so there are no books I ‘wish’ to re-read. When I want to, I pick them up. I’m now tempted to return to Tiger Lily.

Avada Kedavra
causes instant death
Worst book EVER: No surprise, but for me: Stephenie Meyer – Twilight and the other series. I never liked it, but I guess that’s because I was already spoiled with other books.

That's it! Let me know what you would pick :)
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

39 comments:

  1. Ohh, I LOVE this post :D Not doing my version, but oh, loved reading yours :D Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really amazing, Mel! I'll definitely be posting my version in the next day or so. I'd have to agree with you on your picks for Avada Kedavra and Wingardium Leviosa. I feel like Tiger Lily didn't get all the press it deserved and it's one that I really want to revisit soon.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiger Lily is amazing :) Can't wait to see your version!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I've never heard of this post before! It's a great idea!
    I'm a little disappointed that you didn't like the Grimm Diaries. I was going to read them, but now I'm not so sure. And I'm SO excited for Cress! :D You're so lucky you read it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it, but it had a potential of being SO much better.

      Delete
  4. I love this! Scarlet definitely needs more attention, I can't believe how many people haven't heard of it. you're not alone when it comes to putting off Game of Thrones, I think it's been sitting on my shelf for close to two years now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it's worth the read. It's a very good book :)

      Delete
  5. This is such a great post, I think I'll have to do one myself! I think that Robin Hood Scarlet got overshadowed by Marissa Meyer's Scarlet, but I really want to check it out after awesome reviews. I got put off from reading Requiem, and haven't yet. Not sure I'll rush to either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Gaughen's Scarlet will get more attention once the next book is released :)

      Delete
  6. What a fun idea! I haven't read all of the ones you mention but of the ones, I've read, I agree with most of your categories for them. Can't wait for Ruin and Rising. I'm starting on The Book Thief soon. I've had a copy on my shelves for far too long and want to read it before the movie version comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhh, can't wait to see what you think about The book thief <3

      Delete
  7. Ohhh what a great survey idea!! The Book Thief is one of my favourite books, too. Very excited for the movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to do this one myself but I don't have the time but I'm glad to see you did this one! I haven't read Anna and the French Kiss so I really need to see for myself if it's not worth the hype but I hope it is. I'm currently listening to the audiobook of The Book Thief and I'm glad to see that it's one of your favourite books. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone seems to love Anna, I'm just an outsider there :p

      Delete
  9. AGREED. ACCIO TO CRESS! Yes, die Twlight :D

    Fabulous list there, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is so much fun. You keep finding the most awesome things, Mel! I think I'm going to post this on my blog too!

    Btw, I feel the same about Tiger Lily! Such a beautiful but sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, I love this idea! I might join in next week :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant idea! I have to take part in this :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea! I really do need to read Cinder, I guess I would have to use the Accio spell for that? Scarlet is also in my TBR pile, so I'm glad you think it's worth talking about! :-) I won't need to use Protago on Martin's books, they're so long that I'm already too intimidated to read them lol, although I know I'm missing out. The TV show is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the TV show is the best! And they follow the books pretty good (so far as I can tell). You better go Accio-Cinder :D!

      Delete
  14. Love this meme. And your answers! Scarlet is one that I definitely want to try out - especially now that there's a sequel coming out. I just remember how many people raved about it when it was released! And I also really need to read The Book Thief and Tiger Lily. I would absolutely burn the ending in Requiem too, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go read The book thief and Tiger Lily asap! :D

      Delete
  15. I love this survey! Fun! I'm with you on Scarlet and Tiger Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clever clever!! I mean we all love Potter spells!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cried at the end of Tiger Lily too! So many emotions for that one. And I think more people would love Scarlet if that gave that book a shot. It was fantastic :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't cry a lot, but Tiger Lily broke me <3

      Delete
  18. What a cute meme! I love it.

    Funny, I liked Anna and the French Kiss, but I didn't go as crazy over it as most readers have--and I agree, Etienne wasn't all that great either. Oh, well!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this meme! I really enjoyed Anna, although I was not a St. Clair fan.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah! I love this post idea ♥ AND your answers^^ I couldn't agree with you more about the 3rd Throne of Glass book (and all the other planned ones!) and of course, your HP pick :D Tiger Lily, Scarlet & the Song of Fire & Ice books are all on my wishlist/TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok I am going to read Scarlet soon!! I know how it feels to have a book you love not get that much attention.

    ReplyDelete
  22. CATCHING UP WITH YOUR BLOG HIIII. This is the problem of months and months away from blogging. Ahem.

    Death talking with ‘yo, told ya’ and ‘WTF’ - This amuses and disturbs me. What. What. Maybe in context I would understand better but sounds sort of like an adult trying too hard to connect with the kids. LIKE PHIL IN MODERN FAMILY (do you watch that show?).

    A.C Gaughen – Scarlet. --- YOU ARE ONE OF THE PEOPLE WHO CONVINCED ME TO READ THE SEQUEL. (Okay, so I read Lady Thief without reading Scarlet, but I'm getting there, I'm getting there... and it made me happy and more encouraged to see it on your favorites list. Have you read LT?)

    Awwww, you didn't like Anna and the French Kiss? I will admit that there is quite a bit of drama, but I did like her writing style, and it's a shame because I think you'd like Cricket, the boy she created in her second book, Lola and the Boy Next Door. (But then again maybe you'd dislike the drama there too... hmmmm...)

    RUIN AND RISING AND HEIR OF FIRE. Yes. SO looking forward to them. I wonder whether there'll be ARCs of HoF or if it will be considered spoilery like it is for R&R?

    "Jodi Lynn Anderson – Tiger Lily. Oh, this book is so good. The ending just shattered my heart." -- Okay, you and all these other people make me want to reread this book because I remember feeling pretty MEH about it, but my reading tastes have changed so much and there has to be a reason why it's so loved in the blogosphere :O :O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some episodes from Modern Family yes! I didn't think it suited with the context either.. Haha, I haven't read Lady Thief yet, because it's not published and I don't have an ARC :( I might give her other book a hot! I think Cricket sounds much better. I'm not sure, but it would be a good move to have no ARC's for that one either. I like the idea of waiting together :D LET'S RE-READ together :D!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0