Sunday, September 22, 2013 20:45

Review 199. Liesl Shurtliff – Rump.

15766776Title: Rump: the true story of Rumpelstiltskin.
Author: Liesl Shurtliff.
Pages: 272.
Published: April 9th 2013 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers
Sort: stand-alone.

In a magical kingdom where your name is your destiny, 12-year-old Rump is the butt of everyone's joke. But when he finds an old spinning wheel, his luck seems to change. Rump discovers he has a gift for spinning straw into gold. His best friend, Red Riding Hood, warns him that magic is dangerous, and she’s right. With each thread he spins, he weaves himself deeper into a curse. To break the spell, Rump must go on a perilous quest, fighting off pixies, trolls, poison apples, and a wickedly foolish queen. The odds are against him, but with courage and friendship—and a cheeky sense of humor—he just might triumph in the end.
Rating:

Aren’t MG and fairytale covers the best? I always love the drawings and the details. Luckily, this book isn’t only pretty on the outside. It’s a great book for young children and older people, because it’s about friendship and finding yourself.

“And that's its own kind of magic - to feel that people who are gone are still here.”

Rump instantly stole my heart. Being bullied because of his half-name, he feels lonely and weird. He is constantly looking for his destiny and he feels incomplete. His mother died before she could tell his name and therefore, his name is Rump. He has a wonderful grandmother who adores him and he has a best friend called Red. This girl is feisty! She isn’t afraid to punch Rump’s bullies in the face and people are afraid of her temper. Their friendship is heart warming.

Everyone works in the mines. The more gold you find, the more food you get, because they live under the rules of a greedy king. The miller distributes the food and he is a harsh and sneaky man. When Rump finds out about his talent, the miller practically blackmails him to spin straw into gold for him. The king gets his hand on this gold and wants to know who did this: the miller points out his daughter Opal. Rump is already in trouble and he the curse becomes worse when he tries to help this foolish girl.

With pixies, trolls, poison apples and witches, this book is filled with great characters who play a role in Rumps true destiny: finding his name and himself. I liked the moral of this story and I think it’s a fun twist on the real Rumpelstiltskin. The quick writing-style makes this book enjoyable for every age.
“They say that a minute is a minute no matter where you are or what you're doing, but my brain could never grasp that. I think time is a trickster. When I have a lot to do, time shrinks, but when I want something over with, it stretches and yawns, and laughs at my torture. Sometimes the minutes hold hours inside of them.”

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

33 comments:

  1. Been wanting to read this book for a while now :D I love love love the cover. So pretty. And the book sounds so sweet :D Glad you mostly enjoyed it. <3 thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh this sounds so cool! The characters sound great, and I LOVE the art!! I'm so glad this is for younger and older readers! lovely review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, MG fairytale! I just love MG. Glad to hear this was good on the inside, too. ;) You got me at 'With pixies, trolls, poison apples and witches, this book is filled with great characters who play a role in Rumps true destiny: finding his name and himself' - this really drew me in. I think this is something that I might enjoy. Thanks for the review!

    -Precious @ Fragments of Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and I hope you like it when you read it :)!

      Delete
  4. I actually have never read a MG fairytale before- not in the near past at least. But I can imagine what fun they are!

    Lovely review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES. The covers for MG books are THE BEST. Seriously. As much as I love some of the brilliant YA covers out there, I have to admit that overall, middle-grade wins. All other cover designers should go learn a thing or two about illustrating uber cute people and landscapes. :D

    Love that quote you picked out! I'm lazy to go jot it down right now, but it's so meaningful, and I can see why you warmed up to this book so quickly. Friendship! Though I don't read many books in this genre, relationships are generally something that're missed out a lot, because the authors tend to focus more on the magic and the plot, than on the development of the characters and such. I can already feel my heart warming up for Red and Rump!

    I also think that it's super original how the author chose to write about Rumpelstiltskin's childhood rather than of him when he was an adult. Adds a lot more perspective, and like you said, it's a fun twist. :) Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how MG covers are so filled with details :D It makes me feel like the illustrator really thinks about it.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read an MG in so long, but I love the cover! And the premise sounds so great. And you gotta love poison apples and trolls :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this book too! It was sweet, full of magic, and the trolls were so funny. I've read some Rumplestiltskin retellings, and this one is probably the best of them. I was intrigued that the author chose to make the miller's daughter completely evil... Until the very end I expected her to at least understand how much Rump had helped her, and to be grateful.

    Oana @All Fantasy Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read a good MG book in a long time, but I really do adore that cover! Despite a few flaws, I think this one sounds right up my alley, and I totally need to give it a go now. Great review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red was definitely my favorite of the bunch. I thought this one was well done, but it went a little bit too young for me to love it. A few too many jokes kids love that at least this adult does not. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'm sorry to hear you didn't completely love it :)

      Delete
  10. I agree that they certainly do have wonderous covers- I love the way that there is this lingering sense of, I'm not entirely sure, imagination? that comes across in middle grade books but somehow tends to loose it's way when it comes to YA and adult. Overall I think I certainly like MG covers more than YA; they seem to take more of a chance.
    Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww I think I'd really enjoy this one I already feel sad for Rump! It sounds like it has great characters overall. MG is always fun to read once in a while it's a great change of pace and I love that they almost always include drawings and illustrations and such! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have seen this one around but this is the first review I'm reading. It seems to me that I'd enjoy this one. Rump sounds like a great character I'd love to meet. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. MG covers really are the best. ;) I have this one on my shelf, and I've been meaning to read it! I'm glad that it was good-- and that Rump is such a sweet character. Awesome review, Mel! (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do want to pick this one up but I'm sad that it didn't end up getting a higher rating for you. I feel like I want books right now that are going to wow me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like it's a great book, but not good enough for a higher rating. Still, I think it's worth a read :)!

      Delete
  15. YES MG and fairytale covers are the best. Have you ever gone back to look at the Harry Potter covers for all those details? I remember before the later books were released, a lot of sites were speculating on the content based on those covers, and I think those are possibly the best kind of covers. Also, another reason to read MG: because they are so much more focused on friendship and finding yourself.

    Rump and Red. First off, I love how their names go together. Second, I love that Red is the one who's got that fierce temper and protects Rump (seriously how many times do you ever see the girl doing that for the guy? I guess only in MG do you get that without people questioning his 'masculinity.') Also Rump is short for Rumpelstiltskin? Heh, I don't know that I would've ever guessed that, though it definitely makes sense o.O.

    I like the premise of the plot as you've summarized it. It reminds me of another myth - I think it was King Midas, right? Who could turn stuff into gold if he touched it - and seems like an intricate mix of that and the Rumpelstiltskin tale too. Do you have any familiarity with that tale? Did you have fun comparing the two?

    Hee, gold from straw, pixies, trolls, witches - this sounds like fun in the way HP was too.... And now random question: why do some of your reviews say Mel and the others Melanie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Harry Potter covers are great! And I agree, MG is so many times based on friendship instead of romance, it's refreshing. I have heard of that story before, but I don't think I've read it before! Thanks for the tip, I'll try to see if there is a free story on the internet, because I'd love to compare those two.

      And that is because some fonts look better with my full name, while others work good enough with 'Mel' and a Disney picture :D Just very random picked!

      Delete
  16. Am I the only one that thinks the name 'Rump' is adorable? Because I really think it is a cute name... Anyways. I love MG novels even if I don't read them as often as I used to. They are almost always sweet and about the importance of friendship. Oh, and the covers! They are so detailed and fun!

    I've had my eye on Rump for a long while now, but I didn't know that it was out O_o I need to pick it up the next time I go to the bookstore! I love stories about people finding themselves, and the fact that it's a retelling makes it even more intriguing :) Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0