Sunday, September 08, 2013 20:24

Review 194. Lisa M. Basso - A shimmer of Angel.

13572197Title: A shimmer of Angel.
Author: Lisa M. Basso.
Pages: 321.
Published: January 29th 2013 by Month9Books, LLC
Sort: Part one of ‘Angel sight.’
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
Sixteen-year-old Rayna sees angels, and has the medication and weekly therapy sessions to prove it. Now, in remission, Rayna starts fresh at a new school, lands a new job, and desperately tries for normalcy. She ignores signs that she may be slipping into the world she has tried so hard to climb out of. But these days, it’s more than just hallucinations that keep Rayna up at night. Students are dying, and she may be the only one who can stop it. Can she keep her job, her sanity, and her friends from dying at the hands of angels she can't admit to seeing?
Rating

I liked this book, but I wasn’t blown away. The beginning is terribly slow. The story takes a lot of time to get started and that made it hard to enjoy this book. I thought about DNF-ing this book, but in the end, it was okay. The ending was interesting and I might read the next book.

Rayna sees wings. She has been in therapy for over three years now and she has to take medication. After a couple of months, Rayna is free to leave the institute to start fresh at school. In an attempt for a normal life, Rayna takes a job, but the wings are starting to return. When a new boy in her class has wings, Rayna loses her mind. But what she doesn’t know is that she truly sees Angels and they are here for a reason. A dark fallen Angel is forcing teenagers to suicide to build an army and when he discovers that Rayna can see him, she isn’t save anymore.

There are three characters who play a big role. There is of course Rayna. I’m a bit confused about my feelings for her. I can understand that it’s terrible if you can see things no one else can, but her reactions were a bit over the top for me. She is so jumpy in class and she expects everyone to look at her like she is strange and crazy. They don’t even know her problems, but her actions can make them think that way. I just wish she was a bit stronger, but she stays whiny.

Then there is Cam, the new boy Angel. He is there to protect a classmate from Rayna and this is love-potential one. I didn’t really care for him. And last but not least, fallen angel Kade. He is a good bad guy: he dropped out of Heaven because he fell in love with a human. The nasty part? That human was Rayna’s mother and now he is flirting with her… I liked him, although he completed the cliché. One special girl, two love-interests, one good guy, one slightly bad guy.

So, it was disappointing, but not a bad book.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

32 comments:

  1. If a book doesn't immediately catch my attention in the beginning, I'll usually get kind of bored :/ It also seems pretty creepy that Kade used to like Rayna's mom. The premise still sounds interesting, though. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, this isn't the book for you! It takes a lot of time.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of this book before. Sound like a great book :)Love the cover, so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading this last year, but I couldn't finish it! What you said is right: the beginning is extremely slow, and Rayna annoyed the crap out of me because of her constant thoughts about the new boy in her class. And YES. The whinniness! I had to stop. But it's good to see that the book does improve as it progresses. (Eww about Kade, though.) Great review, hon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have DNF it if it wasn't a review book. Now I felt like I had to give it a chance :p

      Delete
  4. The premise sounds interesting (the fact that she can see wings), but I can see how that might make the book slow, especially since it's obvious they're angels. That's kind of why some paranormal books are so laggy at the beginning. Glad it turned out okay in the end and wasn't DNF-worthy. But I'll prob pass. Doesn't sound like my thing with the main character being so whiny. Nice honest review, Mel :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally really didn't like this book. There were just a lot of things that really annoyed me, and all of those little plot holes added up to be too much. And yeah the Kade/Rayna/Rayna's mum thing was disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhu, it made me cringe everything I thought about it.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful blog you have! You've earned yourself a new follower via bloglovin. I haven't heard of this book before, but sounds like it was an interesting take on angels. Her whining sounds annoying though!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was actually one of the first ARCs I ever received- true story. I wasn't a huge fan of this one, the romance was roo typical in my opinion.

    Great review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the romance was a bit too much like all the others.

      Delete
  8. Sigh. Love triangle? Yeah, not for me :D Glad you managed to finish the book though, and that you somehow liked it :) Hope book two will be better for you, if you read it. <3 thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! For now, I'm not going to continue :)

      Delete
  9. The cover is pretty but I hate slow books and complicated love triangle. Thanks for the review, Mel.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, that cover is just so pretty. But it's a little put-offing to see that you only gave it a rating of three stars. A good rating, but a cover like that just sets expectations so high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 3 means a solid, nothing too special book :)

      Delete
  11. I felt the same way about this book. I liked it, but I thought it could have been better and Rayna was my biggest issue. I thought she was pretty annoying. But I hope things are better in book 2. Great review :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too bad it was not as good as you hoped it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read similarly mixed reactions to this book in the past, so I think I'm safe in skipping it. I'm glad it was at least a 3 star read for you, but it's disappointing when you're expecting more for sure!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  14. One (sometimes) good thing about blogging is it's much harder to DNF when you've committed to a review a book. In this case, it sounds like it worked out, because you ended up (mostly?) liking it. But it's torture when that payoff never comes!

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already getting better, but sometimes I feel like I need to give review requests a change :p

      Delete
  15. I enjoyed this book, but I do see how some wouldn't. It was a slow start and the good guy v. bad boy love triangle is cliche. I didn't like Cam at all -- I did not understand why Ray liked him. But I did end up liking Kade a lot. I had mixed feelings about him falling in love with Ray's mom, then kinda hitting on her. I look forward to reading the next book, and really, really hope that Ray gets over her Cam fixation. Because it made no sense. And his liking her also made no sense. I mean, why would he risk everything for a girl he barely even knows?

    I enjoyed the voice and think it has potential -- plus there were Doctor Who references, and that counts for something :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her attraction to Cam was just like all the other books: cliched and based on appearance. I agree that I liked Kade a lot, but his fling with Ray was.. too strange.

      Delete
  16. I have this one to read too and am still going to read it, but hmm. I hate whiny characters. They just get on my nerves if they are consistently that way. I'll have to see what I think. Your review moved it lower on my tbr though, so it may be a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever pick it up, I'm interested to see what you think :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0