Friday, September 06, 2013 15:13

Review 193. Michael & Katherine – Eve and Adam.

13493463Title: Eve and Adam.
Author: Michael Grant & Katherine Applegate.
Pages: 291.
Published:  October 2nd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends
Sort: Stand-alone.
And girl created boy… In the beginning, there was an apple—
And then there was a car crash, a horrible injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker’s head clears a strange boy named Solo is rushing her to her mother’s research facility. There, under the best care available, Eve is left alone to heal. Just when Eve thinks she will die—not from her injuries, but from boredom—her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy. Using an amazingly detailed simulation, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?
Rating

But who’s the say what’s perfect? (quote book)

I’m not sure how and why I finished this book. It gave me many feelings, but not the right ones. Instead of feeling connected to the characters and excited about the sci-fi elements, I was frustrated, annoyed and I couldn’t care less what would happen to any of them. There was a twist I liked and it was a quick book, but that’s all. I’ll be using many quotes to illustrate the dumb and irritating characters, so be aware of my rant. I hardly rate books with 1 flowers, but this..

Everyone should have flaws. Isn’t that what makes us interesting? Isn’t that what keeps us from just being carbon copies of each other? (quote book)

The beginning was not bad. We are introduced to Evening (who goes by E.V among friends) who is horrible injured after a car crash. Her mother transports her to her own research facility. Eve’s mother is a billionaire with her ground-breaking research and Eve is interested in genetics. Her mother gives her the task to create her perfect boy with a new software program.  Solo lives in the facility after his parents both died in a car accident. He hates Eve’s mother and he is planning to bring her down with horrible information, but things are not always what they seem.

The chapters are divided between Eve and Solo and I didn’t care for either of them. Eve is as dumb as a doornail. I guess her mother’s genes went to her appearance, because boy, I wanted to head desk many times. There were also situations where she is blind. I was mentally screaming the answer because it was so obvious.. It’s not strange to her that her leg is almost healed in four days. It was severed from her body, THAT’S NOT NORMAL. She is also very shallow:
”How can I date a guy named Tad? It’s a ridiculous name.”
Imagine that! Not only that, I started to see what a horrible friend she really is. Yes, she offers Aislin help in the beginning, but quotes like these:
”Why do I love Aislin? Because with her whole life falling apart, she thinks about me. She still cares about me.”
makes me doubt her intentions. For her, that’s what life and friendship is all about. You have to be the center of attention, no matter what. It’s not important that Aislin’s boyfriend just got shot or that the doctor tells her he probably won’t survive. No, it’s important that Aislin asks if you already banged with Solo.

Solo is also a perfect example of stupidity. Imagine this: Eve’s leg just got stitched together and Solo is in the ambulance to bring her to the facility. Her accident happened a couple of hours ago, she is in pain and under medication.
”I sit with my elbows on my knees, trying to hunch my shoulder forward a little. I have good shoulders, might as well reveal them. I know she’s checking me out. Fair enough, because I’m checking her out.”
REALLY? But after she starts to moan and cry he imagines that he might be wrong.

This brings me to the no-surprise insta-love. Solo and Eve hardly see each other, they don’t talk that much and they still fall in love. And it’s disgusting, I mean:
”And there’s possible drool in the left corner of her mouth. Why do I find that kind of hot? Seriously. Sleep drool.”
Uhm, YUCK? I guess we are not on the same page when it comes to ‘hot’. But I don’t think this is surprising after this distasteful scene:
”Tommy grins at me. He reaches out one finger and swipes the blood from my forehead. He sticks the finger in his mouth and licks it.”
We are talking about a genius scientist here. I’m not sure what kind of creepy image these authors have of scientist, but this is just sick.

tumblr_inline_mhls6oenLN1qz4rgp
I loathed Eve’s mother. Being smart doesn’t have to make you cold and bitter. She likes to stick her nose in the air and I couldn’t tolerate her arrogance. She is especially good at criticizing everyone below her standards, like Eve’s friend Aislin.
”Pfff. Friends, plural?” My mother asks. “Since when do you have friends, plural? You have one friend and she’s a drunken slut.” 
Such a charming lady, huh?

There are some other things that bothered me, but I want this rant to end. I’m just going to say one more thing: the plot is thin. Nothing happens and at the end, we are thrown into a rushed ending where everything comes together. The twist was okay, but there is no time to think about it because it already ends. Like, out of nowhere.. Please, stay away from this book. Such a disappointment, because it had potential.

tumblr_inline_milzluBfIv1qz4rgp
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

62 comments:

  1. Yikes! I was thinking about getting this one, but based on your quotes, I am very VERY worried I won't like it. Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was attractive to her drool? Her DROOL? That is the grossest thing I've heard in a book. And he thought she was checking him out right after her accident? How did that girl fall for him again?

    Great review! And thanks for the warning, I don't think I will be picking this book up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay this book sounds so weird. Who has time to think about whether the other person is checking you out when they're in pain?! Seriously? and EW. Ugh this book sounds horrible >< So sorry you had to go through that Mel! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH wow...it really does sound not good. I love my husband and no way would I ever find his drool hot. Maybe mildly cute if it weren't like ALL over the place and if it only happened once. Other than that just no..no no

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quotes have convinced me! This definitely doesn't look like a book I would enjoy :P
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like there have been a bunch of alternate Adam and Eve stories over the last few years. And those quotes ... are any of these characters likeable?

    Drool isn't attractive! You might call it "cute" on a baby but even then it's gross and you just know that humans are hardwired to think babies and everything they do are cute because that's how our species has SURVIVED. Drooling adults are not attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aislin wasn't bad, although I didn't like how they portrayed her. A girl who likes to have fun with boys -> slut.. Hm.

      Delete
  7. I always admired this book for its unique way of retelling Adam & Eve but this doesn't sound much to do with Adam & Eve at all! Again, I'm not sure- I haven't read the book - but from your review and those quotes, I think I'll give this one a big PASS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the whole concept was not bad, but the execution lacked.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE the Gone series by Michael Grant but have heard nothing but bad things about Eve And Adam so yeah, going to stay away from this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might take a look at the Gone series then, because the writing-style was okay.

      Delete
  9. Lolz! I remember not liking Eve's mother either. Though I can't say I remember much else it's been a while. I ddi find it entertaining but it wasn't anything mind blowing for me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in a certain way entertaining. It's the first book in a long time that I hated so much :p

      Delete
  10. YES. This book could've gone a million ways and mind-blown me a thousand times, but it didn't. So disappointed! Not only the insta-love got to me, but the characters. And the crappy love triangle. Ugh. I didn't hate this one as much as you did, but it was still a pretty unremarkable read for me. Lovely review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow that is so disappointing!!! I was actually hesitant to start this one, but I can see how disappointing it was.. Thanks for the honest review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you weren't sure before, I advice to stay away :)

      Delete
  12. FIRST OFF: YAY!!! I remember when I first read this, I felt quite stupefied because there were a lot of good reviews, and I just wasn't feeling the novel at all.

    Ha--interesting that this is the rant review! I was curious which book was the one you'd tweeted, but now I'm curious which plot twist you liked.

    "Everyone should have flaws. Isn’t that what makes us interesting? Isn’t that what keeps us from just being carbon copies of each other?" <-- YES.

    LOL. --> "I guess her mother’s genes went to her appearance, because boy, I wanted to head desk many times." I honestly don't remember much about this book ... *checks review* oooh, I apparently wrote that I liked Eve for her snark. Maybe I was the oblivious one as I read this, and not just Eve and her super fast healing leg. ;)

    ”Why do I love Aislin? Because with her whole life falling apart, she thinks about me. She still cares about me.”
    ^-- Eh. That doesn't bother me that much because it seems very teenager-y (or at least the stereotype of teenagers), though I do remember thinking her entire attitude towards her friend was very... patronizing. Ahhh, probably because of the context --> "It’s not important that Aislin’s boyfriend just got shot or that the doctor tells her he probably won’t survive. No, it’s important that Aislin asks if you already banged with Solo."

    "REALLY? But after she starts to moan and cry he imagines that he might be wrong." <-- LOL. Oh, Mel. Yeah. Solo was really stereotypical in the beginning, but I did remember thinking that they had a very cutesy YA relationship. Like I'm-noticing-you-you-noticing-me? *blush* type. You're making me want to reread this to see whether I'd have rant-worthy rage - and to compare notes more thoroughly. This sleep drool mention? IMEANLIKEYEAHSOHAWTMEL.

    "We are talking about a genius scientist here. I’m not sure what kind of creepy image these authors have of scientist, but this is just sick." I KNOW I KNOW, RIGHT? I remember getting so pissed at the portrayal of science but then I don't think I included it because the reviews I'd seen hadn't mentioned that and I was starting to doubt myself.

    "I loathed Eve’s mother. Being smart doesn’t have to make you cold and bitter." <-- RIGHT? Gods. She was like a walking stereotype degrading the smart, powerful woman of today.

    "There are some other things that bothered me, but I want this rant to end. I’m just going to say one more thing: the plot is thin. Nothing happens and at the end, we are thrown into a rushed ending where everything comes together. The twist was okay, but there is no time to think about it because it already ends." <-- MAN I WISH I REMEMBERED THE ENDING. But yeah, I think both of our expectations were fell short on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw so many positive reviews I wasn't sure if I read the same book :p

      The plot twist I liked was a some sort spoiler, but the fact that her mother was innocent after all. I didn't see that coming, although it made sense in the end.

      -That's the only quote I liked in the book :p

      Eve did have some snark, but it wasn't enough to make her likable. And yes, being a bit of egoistical when you are younger isn't strange, but it annoyed me in the context. It's not bad if you are happy that friends care for you and ask for you, but at that moment.. Awful timing.

      Haha, sleep drool. It still amazes me.

      Being someone close to science, it made me mad. Why always portray the genius scientists that way? I liked it in The mad scientist's daughter, but it wasn't appropriate here.

      Delete
  13. OMG I couldn't bare this novel so I DNFed it early on. But I also did include the same quote as you! (the 3rd one) Ugh. This one was foul.

    Fab review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, hahahaha I laughed so hard at that Orlando Bloom Lord of the Rings--hilarious! I just keep hearing all the things how this book went wrong and it does nt make me want to pick this one up. So sorry you didn't like this pretty. Sad it had potential for you, but lacked everything else. I hope whatever you're reading right now is making you feel way more positive emotions than this one did:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it is :D Re-reading Throne of glass <3

      Delete
  15. The drool quote *squirms* Gah! This seems like something I would hate. And I have this book on my shelf. I probably won't ever read it now because insta-love ruins books for me. It makes everything cool just...not cool (so poetic today). And Eve's mother...I can't even. I just...there are no words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dumb as a doornail? Ouch! The character don't sound like people I could connect with either. A lot of those snippets had me cringing, particularly the second to last. O_o I've heard such mixed things about this book, but I'm glad now that I decided to skip it. Sorry that it was such a terrible read for you, Mel, but I hope your next book is more promising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend skipping it. Great decision Sam!

      Delete
  17. Ehhhh, this sounds awful. Some of the quotes you chose make me cringe, so I foresee my opinion about this one being similar to yours. I better skip it for my sanity. Thanks for an honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no I'm so sorry you did not enjoy Eve & Adam. I have a copy of it and it's been sitting on my shelf for a year. I think I'll still read it though since I have it. Eve sounds really annoying :(

    leigh

    ReplyDelete
  19. I completely agree with EVERYTHING you said! I couldn't stand this book! My main problem with this book was Eve. She drove me insane with her constantly changing feelings towards Adam and the things she was thinking when she noticed Aislinn checking him out. I wanted to hit her so bad.
    I couldn't believe how boring the storyline was. The synopsis made it sounds so interesting, but I was bored to tears until the end of the book. And like you said, it was all rushed at the end.
    I second your opinion to stay clear of this book. It was awful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 'THAT'S NOT NORMAL' lol. Okay, as much as I love Michael Grant, I guess I will be taking a pass on this book. I wouldn't be able to stand it either.

    Thanks for the honesty, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'll be reading another book from him and I hope I'll like it better :p

      Delete
  21. Mel, I hate it when everything in a book is unsatisfying. Why did all the characters, besides Aslin it seems, have to be dumb or condesending? Terrific review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Darn. I just received this one in a giveaway this week. I've read several reviews similar to yours. :( Sorry you didn't enjoy it more. I guess we can't love them all. Great honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Licking blood? Grosssss. The next thing you know, it's going to be the next fifty Shades. Pity, really. It has such an interesting concept, and with better execution and characters, it could even be a really great book.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sleep drool??OMG. So Hot. Not. -_-
    So not picking this one! Such a pity too since the cover's flipping gorgeous.
    Thanks for the honest review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed aspects of this one but I think it was due more to the awesome voices in the audiobook than the story in of itself..not sure what I would have thought had I experienced it in a different format.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yeah, I love your review. <3 THANK YOU for being so honest :D Love the quotes, though they are awful, lol. I tried reading this book AGES ago, and I quit because I did not like it or the writing. After reading your review I know I will not try to read this book again. Makes me sad that I have a hardcover of it.. sigh. Anyway. Sorry you didn't like it, but not too sorry, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I tried reading this one a while back but didn't get very far before giving up- I found the characters were both fairly obnoxious, at least in their early stages, and I guess it doesn't sound like they really grow. I did have high hopes for it, when I first heard about it. I aree that it was a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ummm yeah, that sure does sound dumb! Especially when you lay it all out like that - those characters are too stupid to function! And that's a major pet peeve of mine. Blah, so yeah, I'll be skipping this one for sure - thanks for letting me know, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeay, happy to save you from this horrible book! ;)

      Delete
  29. I didn't love it but I don't hate it either. I think it has potential but it wasn't executed well. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loved your review! Despite your rant, I think I am still going to order it. I want to read it myself and laugh over the stupidness and see whether I might like it a bit better.
    Plus I do kind of like the idea behind the 'create your own boyfriend', I'm curious to see how that works out.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I didn't much like this book either but I did like the mother-I thought she was demonized by Eve but had some interesting qualities that at least made me want to finish reading the book instead of DNF-ing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0