Tuesday, September 03, 2013 07:00

Review 192. Gail Carriger–Changeless.

6933876Title: Changeless.
Author: Gail Carriger.
Pages: 377.
Published: April 1st 2010.
Publisher: Orbit.
Sort: Part 2 of Parasol Protectorate.
Part 1: Soulless.

Alexia Tarabotti, the Lady Woolsey, awakens in the wee hours of the mid-afternoon to find her husband, who should be decently asleep like any normal werewolf, yelling at the top of his lungs. Then he disappears - leaving her to deal with a regiment of supernatural soldiers encamped on her doorstep, a plethora of exorcised ghosts, and an angry Queen Victoria. But Alexia is armed with her trusty parasol, the latest fashions, and an arsenal of biting civility. Even when her investigations take her to Scotland, the backwater of ugly waistcoats, she is prepared: upending werewolf pack dynamics as only the soulless can. She might even find time to track down her wayward husband, if she feels like it.
Rating:

This series is FUN. Carriger has such a humorous tone in her writing-style and this book has everything I look for. A witty protagonist, a grumpy Alpha werewolf, supernatural creatures, dialogues that make me laugh out loud, mystery, action and a fast-paced plot. Add some Steampunk elements and interesting side-kicks and you are in for a fantastic read!

It is safe to read this review if you haven’t read Soulless.
Alexia is married to Lord Maccon, the grumpy Alpha werewolf. One day, he just disappears and Alexia is left with a supernatural army camping in her garden. She soon finds out that there is an area where supernatural lose their supernaturalness. Alexa discovers that her husband took off to Scotland, his original country, to visit his old pack. There are rumors that this pack might have something to do with the area.

I really liked where the plot was going to and I wasn’t disappointed by the conclusion. Carriger created a mysterious feeling and I was eager to find out what was causing this effect to supernaturals. The ending was shocking and made me want to dive into part 3 right away.

Alexia belongs to a list of favorite characters. Witty, smart and strong. Her I-don’t-give-a-damn attitude is awesome and it brings her in some difficult situations. During her flight to Scotland, someone is trying to murder her. She deals with that fact like someone just ate her favorite cookie: a bit disappointed, but nothing she can’t handle. I love how she keeps her head cool, but being a soulless does that to a person. Despite the fact that she doesn’t have a soul, she does have feelings. I love her chemistry with her husband. They are a perfect match and completely up against each other. Lord Maccon is a very attractive, strong and intelligent man. He is protective over Alexia (not that she needs it) and he has the same don’t-care stance. Like: walking around naked while he has visitors after his transformation. I don’t think I would mind, haha.

There are some other great side-kicks as well. We see some old friends, but I was fascinated by the new castmember: Madame LeFoux. She dresses like a man and she is a scientist. Hidden under her hat store is a place where she crafts machines and she makes a weapon for Alexia: a parasol with hidden weapons. Madame LeFoux is a lesbian woman and I love how she flirted by Alexia – I’d almost ship them together. What I really appreciated is the fact that all cliché's are left behind. Carriger doesn’t try to focus on the lesbian aspect, it’s just part of her character.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

41 comments:

  1. " A witty protagonist, a grumpy Alpha werewolf, supernatural creatures, dialogues that make me laugh out loud, mystery, action and a fast-paced plot. Add some Steampunk elements and interesting side-kicks and you are in for a fantastic read!" YES YES YES YES. Win!!! I'm reading Soulless in maybe 2 weeks or so and I am SO looking forward to all of that! Did you read her new YA expansion of the world, or are you waiting to finish this series first?

    Wait, was she married to that guy in the first book? I remember reading just a small excerpt but I thought they weren't together yet o.O. Anyway, I'm always a sucker for the supernatural take-your-power away plot lines because they raise the stakes more so than the average mystery. And Alexia sounds totally kick-ass. Sounds like the "bad" girl version YA desperately needs - someone who's confident and in charge of her life and sexuality. And her husband sounds adorable.

    "What I really appreciated is the fact that all cliché's are left behind. Carriger doesn’t try to focus on the lesbian aspect, it’s just part of her character." <-- I've seen a few books like that lately, not giving a person's sexuality undue attention, and it's nice. It's nice not to fall prey to those cliches or to make it overly dramatic.

    If my eyes weren't about to close right now hahaa, I'd probably be up and about searching for Soulless even if I've got to read some other things first. You've got me so excited :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite obvious when you are reading the book that they are going to be together - so I didn't expect that to be a spoiler. I'm sorry if I ruined that part for you!

      I'm planning to finish this series first and then try her YA expansion :) I'm looking forward to see what you think and I'm happy I made you so excited :D

      Delete
    2. Oh, I see why I wrote it in my review: it'a also in the blurb when they talk 'about Alexia's husband'

      Delete
  2. I wasn't a fan of her spin off series- Espionage and Etiquette but I have heard her adult series WAY better. I really love characters like Alexia who have such high esteem.

    Lovely review, hon! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Soulless a while back, and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was so quirky, offbeat and had a host of incredible characters. I'm so glad to hear that Changeless is equally well-done! Thanks for the great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the three perfect words for this book!

      Delete
  4. I love Steampunk so I definitely need to check this series out!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I've heard that Gail Carriager has a pretty spunky writing style - one more reason to pick up this series! Even though I hardly read steampunk, I really like the sound of this. Especially Alexia. I think I'd have a ton of fun reading from her perspective, because who doesn't like a witty heroine, amiright? Definitely feel more inclined to pick up Soulless now! Great review, Mel :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how it's not TOO steampunk. It's not in-your-face.

      Delete
  6. Ah, this sounds really good! I haven't heard much good about her YA series, but I might give this a try.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen mixed reviews about that series indeed, but hey, this one is great so I'm willing to try it out anyway :)

      Delete
  7. I have the box set of this one and can't wait to start this series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I certainly agree that this series is fun. I love this series myself. Though I did't think I would as its a mix of historical and vampires. But they went really well and I love the whole character and world building of the novel. Great review Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those two things blend so well together, who would have thought?

      Delete
  9. Love this series! You must search images on yenpress.com to see how the manga version of Le Foux but avoid spoilers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love a good humorous book, especially if the voice is strong. I haven't started this series, but I know a lot a people talk highly of it. I'll have to look into getting the first one. Great review, Mel :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've yet to read this series, but I've heard such good things about it. Thanks for the review!
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, sounds like a fun book :D I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. <3 I don't read Adult yet, but I'll check these out when/if I start reading it :) Thank you for sharing your honest review <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do enjoy books with witty and smart humor! Great review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This series is one of my absolute favorites... I don't normally enjoy steampunk but this was so enjoyable. Glad to see you're loving it just as much. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's because of the subtle Steampunk elements :)

      Delete
  15. I definitely plan on reading book one soon seeing as I just met her at WorldCon a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I keep hearing how fun and fantastic Carriger's novels are - I definitely need to read her books soon. Steampunk, mystery, humor...it sounds fabulous!

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like a super interesting series- I get confused between this and another one with similar covers, but this one sounds like more adult, where the other is MG/YA. Reading your review of this and thinking of the storyline of the other, I was just thinking "Nope".
    I'm keen to try reading some steampunk literature, and maybe this is a good start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is definitely an Adult book. I don't know about that other series :) I think this is a great introduction to Steampunk.

      Delete
  18. I enjoyed the first book but for some reason haven't continued with the series-I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the first & second book. I just need to snag me some copy of the remaining bookx of the series. I can't wait to read them. Great review. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0