Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:04

Review 189. Michelle Diener – In defense of the queen.

18113283Title: In defense of the queen.
Author: Michelle Diener.
Pages: 355.
Published: August 1st 2013.
Sort: Part three of ‘Susanna Horenbout & John Parker’.
Part one: In a treacherous court.
Part two: Keeper of the King’s secret.
Source: Netgalley & Michelle Diener.

An artist never betrays her patron.. especially one of the world's most powerful kings. Susanna Horenbout has learned this lesson from the cradle. But when she receives a letter from her father telling her to do just that, she faces a dilemma. Betray Henry VIII, or carry out the request of her father’s employer, Margaret of Austria, and pass secret information to Henry’s queen, Katherine of Aragon. Caught between the machinations of her husband and her nephew, the Emperor Charles, Queen Katherine needs all the allies she can get. But what can Susanna really do to help her, and even if she does, will it be enough? Susanna and her betrothed, Parker - one of Henry's most trusted courtiers - balance on the knife’s edge of treason as they try to make sense of both international and domestic conspiracies. Sometimes, it's better the enemy you know.
Rating:

I’m a fan of Michelle Diener’s series and when she emailed me that I was pre-approved on Netgalley, I had to read it. I wasn’t disappointed. This is yet another well-researched book filled with action, some mystery and many spies. I love it when it’s clear that the author took time to research their facts. It gives this book a realistic feeling.

Susanna is yet again in danger. Her brother Lucas brings a letter with a secret for Katherine, from Margaret. It’s about her daughter Mary and her marriages to Emperor Charles. There are many people who are trying to intercept that message and Susanna is portrayed as ‘traitor.’ Wolsey even manages to get her to the tower, but thanks to the queen she gets a fine room instead of a cell in the dungeon. It’s up to Parker to prove that Susanna is innocent, but he also has to deal with the assassin from book 2. He is not done with Susanna and he wants his jewel.

I really like how action-driven these stories are. Everything happens fast-paced and there is no time to feel bored. There is this mystery enemy who is trying to kill her before she can deliver the message and Wolsey is back to take revenge. Many things are going on and it was fun to jump around, especially when Susanna unravels a plot to murder Henry’s bastard son, Fitzroy.

The characters are great. I like Susanna’s attitude and how she stands up for herself. She doesn’t pity herself and is always busy to fight back. This book wouldn’t have been this good if she was a whiner. There is also the magnificent Parker. I love how protective he is and how he is willing to do everything to keep his Susanna safe. They are so cute together and they have a perfect chemistry. Other side-characters are also well-described.

Diener delivered another interesting story with much background and I can’t wait for other books.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

14 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this series before but it's a relief to know that there are realistic characters and a sweet romance!

    Lovely review, hon! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once in a while I find myself jonesing for a Tudor-like read and combine that with assassination plot (characteristic of these type of novel, btw) and I'm pretty much sold.

    Adding these books to my list! Thanks, Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't think this book would be for me, but I do like the cover :D Glad you enjoyed the characters. <3 Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Action and intrigue in the court! Scandalous. ;) I'm not big on historical fiction, but this sounds like an enjoyable read.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this could appeal to readers who aren't big on HF :)

      Delete
  5. Susanna sounds like the type of MC I love to root for - someone who stands up for herself! How refreshing! :D I also love action driven books though I'm not huge on historicals. Glad you enjoyed it, doll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I love Michelle's books. <3 Glad you liked it. I wish more people would know about these books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds very thrilling-I was someone who didn't know about these books so I'm glad to get an introduction.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0