Review 188. Amy Plum - If I should die.

12700337Title: If I should die.
Author: Amy Plum.
Pages: 405.
Published: May 7th 2013 by HarperTeen.
Sort: Part 3 of ‘Revenants.’
Part one: Die for me.
Part two: Until I die.
Source: I received a review copy from the publisher in exchange for a honest review.

I will not lose another person I love. I will not let history repeat itself. Vincent waited lifetimes to find me, but in an instant our future together was shattered. He was betrayed by someone we both called a friend, and I lost him. Now our enemy is determined to rule over France’s immortals, and willing to wage a war to get what they want. It shouldn’t be possible, none of it should be, but this is my reality. I know Vincent is somewhere out there, I know he’s not completely gone, and I will do anything to save him. After what we’ve already fought to achieve, a life without Vincent is unimaginable. He once swore to avoid dying—to go against his nature and forsake sacrificing himself for others—so that we could be together. How can I not risk everything to bring my love back to me.
Rating:

This book.. Where do I start? I really wish I could love this series as much as everybody else, but there is something I dislike. This story just doesn’t work for me, so I’m happy to finish it now. This book was definitely the worst one in the series, although it’s not a bad ending to a trilogy. It was satisfying, but the way to the end was boring and made up out of three parts:

The first part is whiny. Vincent’s spirit is absorbed by Violette (without the Champion power) and she has burned his body. It’s perfectly understandable that Kate is sad, but she doesn’t have to sob and feel sorry for herself every damn page. I get it, can we continue with the story please? She is trying to search for a way to bring Vincent back, but he is a whiner telling her it’s no use. He tries to comfort her by saying that his spirit will always be around her. I’m not sure, but that would really upset me. Then the most lame thing ever happens of course.
tumblr_inline_mhkqjv2uDs1qz4rgp
The second is the middle of this book and perhaps the worst part. I wanted to skip this completely, but I was afraid I might miss something – I didn’t. It’s boring and unnecessarily. There is a strong Numa gathering an army and the only thing they care about is telling how much they love each other.
EzP7Zu_JQzcWRcfVkQQrK8dHFOnn_B-2iYFAVGM0rnw
And when I finally came to the last part, we have the predictability and this made me role my eyes several times.You can see this one coming from the start – but it’s ridiculous. I hated it and it was definitely a “oh no, not again” situation. There is no originality here. The ending wrapped the story nicely and that was perhaps the only thing I liked together with the secondary characters.

Because the MC’s are clearly not my favorites. I don’t care about Vincent. He is there and that is it. Kate.. Oh boy. Let me say that I wasn’t a fan of her in the other books, but this was even worse. I think this quote in the whiny part tells you everything you need to know:

"A compartment inside my heart that had gradually, over the last nine months, become a huge Vincent-shaped space was suddenly and violently empty."

Another problem I had was the writing-style. I don’t recall having difficulties with this in the other books, but there was something off. It felt choppy and that made it hard to feel absorbed by the story. Let me give you an example:

"Now my hatred had a face. A name. And I felt its venom burning in my veins. It actually felt good. Because when I focused on revenge, it made me forget my despair."

Oh well, I have another series I can stripe of the list ‘Unfinished series’ I made a while ago.

38 comments

  1. "and the only thing they care about is telling how much they love each other."

    That's definitely an understatement in my opinion. You should also add that all they also care about is being together physically. I was SO tired of reading about Kate missing Vincent, Kate wanting to save Vincent, and Kate moaning on and on about how she wants to help.

    And I agree. The book dragged on and on and wouldn't stop. I wanted to skim the middle part too, but was afraid I'll miss out on something important/good.

    This series is sadly definitely not for the both of us Mel. :l

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to keep it as non-spoilery as I could, so that's why I didn't include that. I first had the line: "they practically eat each other faces all the time" but then people would know the "big twist"

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read the first book of this series but I think I can understand your disappointment. Especially since it's the last book and it end up to be the worse one. Great honest review, Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Who the hell cares?" Yes, indeed, LOL! I completely agree with you!

    Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ik heb het eerste boek ook nog niet gelezen, maar dit klinkt niet echt goed. Ik denk dat ik deze hele serie dan maar oversla. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik vind het geen aanrader. Er zijn betere boeken!

      Delete
  5. I have the first book in this series, but haven't started it. Too bad you weren't that impressed with the ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say: don't worry, take your time. You're not missing out.

      Delete
  6. I wasn't really a huge fan of the first book, and eugh, completely predictable plots are just boring, no way around it. Love the gifs though! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you should continue. The first book was okay, but after that.. downhill.

      Delete
  7. ugh... whiny characters are annoying!!! It sucks that you were able to predict everything as well.. I don't think I'll be picking up this series any time soon... Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eh, I wasn't a huge fan of the beginning books. I thought they added an interesting creature and setting for YA, but I didn't think I really cared enough to read this last book (so I have an unfinished series here!).

    "It’s perfectly understandable that Kate is sad, but she doesn’t have to sob and feel sorry for herself every damn page." <-- Another problem for me when it comes to the inevitable separation-from-romantic-interest plot point in PNRs. Kind of like how love triangles make me dislike the MC.

    "Then the most lame thing ever happens of course." <-- Did he come back to life?

    "the only thing they care about is telling how much they love each other." <-- This is my main problem with most YA PNRs actually. All the speeches about love rather than more action.

    "The ending wrapped the story nicely and that was perhaps the only thing I liked together with the secondary characters." <-- Let me guess: did they get married? I did like Jules and Charlotte in the previous books, though.

    It is nice to knock another series off the unfinished shelf. I just keep expanding that one o.O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like every character has to whine. I think I would act the same way, but you don't see me writing a complete book about it. Books should be more interesting.

      Yes, of course he does, haha.

      And not only speeches, they eat each other faces even when they are facing a war.

      Jules is a great character!

      Delete
  9. Aww, such a shame that this one fell flat to you, Mel. I will have to put this series lower in my TBR as the romance seems rather horrid.

    Lovely review, chick! <33

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well now I'm glad that I didn't try to continue with this series! This sounds like a really frustrating conclusion. Kate whines too much and the plot is predictable? So not for me! I didn't hate the first book, I have to admit, but it just didn't capture my interest enough for me to want to pick up the sequel. I don't think I'll bother now, anyway. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like I made the right choice DNFing this series after book #1. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this whole series ready to read, but I'm definitely not looking forward to it very much anymore. Kate sounds like a really frustrating character and the fact that the romance seems to take more importance doesn't sound so great. Thanks for the honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many people who enjoyed this, so perhaps you are one of them! :)

      Delete
  13. Ugh. Read your quotes and my god. Awful writing. At least for me :D I own all these three books in paperback.. but I doubt I will ever read them. Just don't sound good at all :\ I'm sorry you didn't like it, but not really, lol. Thank you for your honest review :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Erugh, this one doesn't sound so great. It would have been nice if you could have found this, the last book, to be absolutely excellent- something really solid and surprising- so you could have enjoyed it more, but I suppose it's not too surprising that it turned out like this when you didn't like the other books in the series, either. At least it's another series striked! Great review, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's a great feeling to finish series :D

      Delete
  15. Blah. So sorry that you didn't like it! I probably wouldn't have been so nice to say that I didn't love it or hate it, although more indifferent might be even worse when it comes to books. I can't decide if I hate that it was boring in the middle or whiny in the first part more. And the quotes. My gosh, I won't be reading this one, thank you for sparing me! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some books give me a 'I hate it feeling' some books are more 'meh' - this is one of those. I just didn't care enough for it to feel anything, haha. You are welcome!

      Delete
  16. I have the first in the series :S Not sure I want to even start it, but I don't want to have wasted my money. I bought the Bulgarian edition once but the translation was horrible (no surprise here), so a few weeks ago I gave in and ordered it again (English edition) because of the pretty cover.

    Kate sounds incredibly annoying and Vincent seems like a drama queen. But I'll read it and hope I'll like it at least a little.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read any of this series, and I doubt I will now! It really has never appealed to me so if I were to pick it up it would only be because everyone else talks about it. But nahhh, that's not worth it. I mean, as much as I complain about Second Book Syndrome, to me that is nowhere near as bad as Final Book Syndrome. I want the last book in a series to blow me away! Not make the entire series a waste of time. Bleh. Great review though! At least now I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I can live with a so-so second book, but a horrible last one.. bah.

      Delete
  18. Ehhh, well. I can't say I've ever really had an interest in reading this series, and your review really confirms and solidifies my lack of interest. Omg, these characters would drive me nuts too!! They sound so annoying. I guess at least it's good that you can finally cross a completed series off your list. Hopefully your next series read will be a much more pleasant experience though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really liked Die For Me, but I didn't like Until I Die that much. I may still finish the series, but it doesn't look like it improves much from the last book I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it doesn't unfortunately.. Especially if you didn't like Until I die.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.