Review 183. Jennifer Armentrout – Obsidian.

12578077Title: Obsidian.
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout.
Pages: 361.
Published: May 8th 2012 (first published November 23rd 2011)
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Sort: Part one of ‘Lux’

Starting over sucks. When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor  with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up. And then he opened his mouth. Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me. You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don't kill him first, that is.
Rating:

I’m going to be honest and tell you right away that I’ve been ignoring this book because I hate the cover. There, I said it. I actually hate the covers from the entirely series. The only reason I decided to read this book after all is because of the Paranormal challenge. I hardly read any alien books (this is actually my fist one ever, as far as I know) and this book got some good ratings. I wasn’t too disappointed, but I don’t get all the fuss either. It’s just.. a better written version of Twilight. Nothing too spectacular or new, but definitely entertaining.

Summary.

Katy’s father died 3 years ago and her mother is now ready to start a new life. They move to another city where Katy becomes the neighbor of the mysterious Daemon and Dee. From the moment they meet, Daemon acts like a complete douche. Dee and Katy soon become friend, but Daemon is always trying to interfere. There is something strange going on and Katy is set on finding out what. She never suspected that her new friends would be aliens and they bring a lot of danger with them.

Opinion.
For a first alien book, it wasn’t so bad. I must say that I never felt attracted to the topic, but I think I might like it. It was refreshing to see something different than the other Paranormal creatures. I will definitely go and try some other alien books now (The 5th wave is high on my list and if you have other suggestions, let me know!)

There is some action in this book with all the dark enemies lurking around the corner. This spiced up the story, which actually is all about Daemon and Katy. Their dynamics were fun in the beginning. They are always quarreling and Daemon is sometimes frustrating, but I started to get bored. There was a certain point where it just needed to stop and where I wanted more, like information about the aliens.

I liked Katy. I wasn’t blown away by her personality, but she is a book blogger (credits) and I like how she stood up for herself. She knows how to handle Daemon and she has a way with words. She is pretty fearless at some point and she even saves his life. Daemon is of course, dangerously attractive. I like how protective he is when it comes to family. Dee is sweet. She hungers for a normal life with friends and fun. The enemy was interesting and I hope to find more information in the next book. The ending was good enough to make me continue this series.

38 comments

  1. Awesome review, Mel :D Thank you for being honest. <3 I'm sorry you didn't fully love this book, but glad you enjoyed it and that you will read the next book :) I still haven't started this series. Yet I own all the books.. Still not sure how I feel about the covers, though :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I sort of like the covers. And I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's not my favorite series out there either, but it's enjoyable. And like Stephanie said, it gets (even) better :) But I like alien stories so...

    (READ The 5th Wave!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been ignoring this mainly because I'm not a big fan of aliens... but everyone seems to think the book is so funny and funny is a weakness for me. If the humor is worth it, I'll get behind the whole Twilight Re-written thing.

    And Katy being a book blogger sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not completely into aliens, but there might be a moment where I really start to like them. I'm just that easy :p

      Delete
  4. Yeeaahh, I'm not a fan of the covers either. So that's a definite turn off for me, too. Mainly though, I don't think I'd be in love with the story either. Although I do quite like that the MC is a book blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a series I'd recommend to everyone..

      Delete
  5. HAHA I don't like the cover either! Honestly, I always hesitate to start this series cause I heard the love interest was a total jerk but the fact that Katy is a book blogger make me quite interested in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pfiew, I was afraid I was the only one who disliked the covers. Everyone is so raving about it..

      Delete
  6. "It’s just.. a better written version of Twilight." - agreed! If Twilight was about aliens and written by someone else, you'd have this book. It was fun, but not as WOW as I've heard.

    Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I actually really like the covers for the books. That cover model looks exactly how I would have pictured Daemon. I actually like Obsidian more now that I've read Onyx and Opal. Also, I like that it doesn't go into too much detail about aliens, because I probably wouldn't like it. But it's basically a teen paranormal romance, so I could see where you find similarities between Obsidian and Twilight, although the characters are very different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah.. but why read a book about aliens if it's hardly about aliens? :p

      Delete
  8. I liked this one okay, but the next one was worse for me. I just felt like there were a lot of maturity issues and the relationship between Daemon and Katy was so drawn out and ridiculous that it totally turned me off. Anyway, you might like the next one better than I did - just don't go in with high expectations. Great review!

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy.. It sounds like I might quit this series after the next book.

      Delete
  9. I do like the pairing but they've been overexposed now, in my opinion. I'm probably going to get pummelled by rotten tomatoes by saying that! I haven't read Onyx just because the characters' animosity disguised as foreplay tired me out. Sigh. This series is so popular though! Oh well, to each to their own, I guess.

    Thanks for the honest review, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually really enjoyed this one, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. It was the first alien book for me too, as I'm also not overly into aliens. But this one definitely peaked my interest, and I'm eager to continue on with the series. Great honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah I think it was just a "like" from me as well. It was okay, but definitely seemed too much like a Twilight with aliens. I HATE THE COVERS TOO! I don't know why people like them so much, they're kinda gross. And I really don't like how the Origin cover doesn't match the others. It's WAY too bright. /mini rant over.
    People say that the series gets better, but to be honest, I don't know if I agree. It just gets really angtsy and annoying :/
    Nice review Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha. Yes, I really dislike the covers for this series, and especially the new one for Origin. The shirtless guy in a leather jacket striding through a Western setting. Very Alien-y.

    From what I've seen, most people who are huge fans of this series like it because it is a better version of Twilight. I believe one reviewer said that it "took what was bad in Twilight and made it acceptable."

    I haven't read a whole lot of alien books either. Icons is another one, if you'd like to read an excerpt of that and see whether the writing is for you. I'm not a huge Stohl fan, so haven't that either. If I come across one, I'll keep you in mind.

    That's the thing. I don't actually really like this series much, but I also have continued it past this book and own the 2nd and 3rd. Why? What you said about Katy and Daemon, I guess. I don't know. Katy referring to WoW posts made me laugh a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that cover is absurd.

      I have to agree with that reviewer.

      I've heard mixed things about Icons.

      Sometimes it's difficult for me to stop reading a series. I think I'll read the next one and if I don't fall in love, I might stop.

      Delete
  13. And here I thought I was the only holdout for this series out of ALL the bloggers! YAY for your first alien book though and I'm glad to see that you found this one to be mostly worth it! I own a copy that I still need to get to but I've been putting it off because this series has SO MUCH hype O.O Instead, I started reading JLA's Covenant series first so when I'm caught up I'll be checking this one out :) Well see how it goes I guess, but thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy I'm not the only one. Books with so much hype can be very off puting.

      Delete
  14. oooh it's awesome that Katy is a book blogger!! That's so cool! I haven't ever read an alien book, and I REALLY want to read this one!! Thanks for the awesome review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't really like the cover either nor am I much interested in alien stories so I think I will be passing over this one. There are just too many other good sounding books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but once started, I still want to see more of it.. Stupid huh :p

      Delete
  16. Hahahaha, I'm not a fan of the cover either. And I must admit, before I read (and fell in love with) the series, I judged the covers and the fangirling that happened over them. Oops.

    I'm glad you liked it, even if you weren't blown away :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally some people who agree about the covers. I started to feel strange between all the fangirls, haha.

      Delete
  17. I too have intentionally steered clear of alien books but unlike you I don't think I will like them. I will read the 5th Wave because i have it both in audio and hardcover and I have heard good things. Maybe if i like that I will consider reading this book because of all the hype. But if it didn't WOW you I don't think it will WOW me. SO probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Took me forever to read this book for the same reason - didn't think the cover looked interesting, didn't think the summary sounded interesting - but for whatever reason when I picked it up, I loved it. It took me about halfway through to really love it though, I'm not even sure when my opinion changed. In my notes from the first few chapters of the book, it just says that Daemon is an ass and I hate him as a love interest and the female book blogger character thing was a ploy to get in book blogger's good graces.... and then, BAM! I don't even know what happened. But I'm like, literally counting the seconds for Origin to come out now! lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sometimes, there are those books that make you fall in love instantly - sometimes they slowly capture your heart.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.