Thursday, August 08, 2013 13:02

Review 182. Cassandra Rose Clarke – The pirate’s wish.

15714476Title: The pirate’s wish.
Author: Cassandra Rose Clarke.
Pages: 330.
Published: June 18th 2013
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Sort: Part two of ‘The assassin’s curse.’
Part one: The assassin’s curse.

After setting out to break the curse that binds them together, the pirate Ananna and the assassin Naji find themselves stranded on an enchanted island in the north with nothing but a sword and their wits. But Naji has unseen enemies, and Ananna must face the wrath of the Pirate Confederation. Together, they must travel afar, defeat their foes and break the mother of all curses. With all this going on, falling in love would be such a bad idea.
Rating:

I was warned by some bloggers that they were disappointed by this book, so that might be the reason I was surprised. I thought it was a solid conclusion and  liked that this is story is split into two books. Sometimes it’s fun to have something else than a trilogy. There are no spoilers for the first book.

This book continues right after the first book. Naji and Annana are waiting on the island for Marjani to save them. When Annana stumbles on a Manticore, there is only one thing she can do: she makes a deal. In the mean time, Naji has fallen in a depression. He has three impossible tasks to do if he wants to break the curse. Annana knows she can help him with one, but is she ready to show Naji her feelings?

I liked the idea of the three tasks and it’s an exciting journey. One of these tasks almost kills Naji (which the Mists would like, because they are still present and waiting to murder him) and Annana’s blood saves him. It was interesting to see how their blood bond was incorporated. The blood magic made me feel a bit.. uncomfortable sometimes. I really liked the last quest and I’d love to be able to breathe underwater! The plot was good and I liked the ending. It’s not just a happily-ever-after, it fits the story perfectly.

It’s a shame that there is little background story when it comes to the Mists. We know that Naji stopped one of them from entering this world, but I wish we got to know more about them. It feels like it was added to give the story more suspense, but it fell flat to me.

The Manticore was a great character and it was a shame that her role is so small. It was fun to see her different perception of the world, like humans being slaves to please her. There are also some other characters present, like Marjani and her lover, but they aren’t very developed.

One of the things that bothers me the most is the lack of chemistry between Annana and Naji. He never shows his true feelings and it’s hard to know what he thinks. I don’t really get Annana’s attraction to him and I wish he was more appealing and likable. I understand that he was supposed to be mysterious, but it made me feel a bit disconnected from him.

I’ll check out Clarke’s other books, because I like her easy and quick writing-style.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

14 comments:

  1. Great review Mel :D I'm glad you mostly enjoyed this book. I still haven't started the series, but I hope to do so soon. Although that the romance isn't that good makes me a bit sad :\ glad you enjoyed the plot and writing, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really care about romance, but if it's in the book I want it to be good. So that's a shame.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe you finished the second book before I even got a chance to get to the first o.O. I remember commenting on your review, and your archive is showing that that was last month. AHHHHHHH WORLD.

    "One of the things that bothers me the most is the lack of chemistry between Annana and Naji." <-- This seems to be the consensus of the reviews I've seen for the book. It's a shame, with such inventive journeys and easy writing, that that should be the main fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, I don't think I recommend this one to be read with haste :)

      Delete
  3. Eh, so the characters have no chemistry? :( That's disappointing. I still plan on reading the first book but if I don't enjoy it enough, I'm not sure I'll be reading this one. If Clarke's writing is easy to get used to, though, I might see if I might be interested in any of her other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book is pretty stand-alone-ish :)

      Delete
  4. I really want to give this duo a try. Too bad the chemistry was a bit lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the first one and loved it but this book is not as good. I enjoyed some parts only. I agree with Megan, the romance lacks chemistry :D

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the manticore was a great character too and I also wish we got to learn more about the Mists. Overall, I was quite happy with this book, but I don't think I enjoyed it as much as the first. I do agree with you about the ending though. It wasn't a true HEA but it worked well for the story. Great review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting..I'm kind of on the fence about reading these books, honestly. I haven't really heard much "omg you have to read this!" But the premise sounds good. Sucks you felt a disconnect with the guy and romance, that can be the worst.
    Why did the blood magic make you uncomfortable?

    Btw, I'm a new follower (GFC) :D

    Dee @ Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alternating POVs would have been nice to get Naji's thoughts. Pam at YA Escape from Reality also made a good point about having an epilogue since the ending is pretty open ended. I definitely loved the Manticore and I agree that the mists should have been better explained.

    I feel like I am one of the bloggers that was disappointed, and contributed to your surprise, hah :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just about to start this one... I am also a little disappointed that the reviews for it haven't been as great as the ones for the first book, but I guess it still sounds pretty good. Satisfactory. I'm definitely disappointed that you say there never comes to be any great chemistry between Ananna and Naji!! Aww. Well, great review anyways, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had trouble with Ananna and Naji's relationship in the first book (I could not figure out why she liked him!) so I'm disappointed to hear that that aspect isn't really developed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still haven't read the first one of these, but it's been on my wishlist since it came out! I was a bit bummed when I started seeing reviews for this one and they seemed a lot less positive than for book one...BUT reading your review gives me hope! I'm glad that you ended up enjoying it for the most part!! I'll definitely be checking the series out :D Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0