Saturday, July 27, 2013 09:05

Review 178. Soman Chainani - The school for good and evil.

Title: The school for good and evil.16248113
Author: Soman Chainani.
Pages: 488.
Published: May 14th 2013.
Publisher: HarperCollins
Sort: Part one of ‘The school for good and evil’
Source: I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for a honest review.

This year, best friends Sophie and Agatha are about to discover where all the lost children go: the fabled School for Good & Evil, where ordinary boys and girls are trained to be fairy tale heroes and villains. As the most beautiful girl in Gavaldon, Sophie has dreamed of being kidnapped into an enchanted world her whole life. With her pink dresses, glass slippers, and devotion to good deeds, she knows she’ll earn top marks at the School for Good and graduate a storybook princess. Meanwhile Agatha, with her shapeless black frocks, wicked pet cat, and dislike of nearly everyone, seems a natural fit for the School for Evil. But when the two girls are swept into the Endless Woods, they find their fortunes reversed—Sophie’s dumped in the School for Evil to take Uglification, Death Curses, and Henchmen Training, while Agatha finds herself in the School For Good, thrust amongst handsome princes and fair maidens for classes in Princess Etiquette and Animal Communication.. But what if the mistake is actually the first clue to discovering who Sophie and Agatha really are…?
Rating:

The school for good and evil and me clicked. From the moment I saw the cover and the blurb, I knew I was going to love this book. It has everything I look for and it just screamed my name. While it didn’t blow me away as much as I wanted, I thought it was extremely enjoyable and fun. I’m looking forward to other books from Chainani. Plus, this book has one of the most gorgeous maps I’ve ever seen! And I love the drawings at the beginning of every chapter. Take a look inside on: HarperCollins.


One of the things that bothers me is Sophie. She is not likable at all. She starts her friendship with Agatha, because she believes this is one of her ‘good deeds’ to help her end up as a princess in a tale. She is unkind, egoistic, selfish and most of the time plain stupid. There was nothing about her I liked and she really got onto my nerves. I know that she is supposed to be evil, but there was nothing about her I could appreciate. I wish there was some part about her I could like – and her true good deed at the ending didn’t do the job for me.

Luckily, Agatha shines in every good aspect. She is kind, loyal and friendly. It’s funny that this girl prefers to be alone, because she is one of the best friends out there. I also liked the fact that she isn’t extremely beautiful; I tend to dislike characters like that. Sophie shows that being pretty isn’t everything and most of them are arrogant and think they can look down upon people with less beauty. Agatha knows how to deal with Sophie’s annoying behaviour (credits for that) and she will do anything to help her friend find her happily ever after. There are some interesting side-kicks, but they are a bit underdeveloped.

The plot was good, but it took some time to get started. The middle part of this book was a bit too long and would have been much better with less pages. I was still very intrigued by the real reason for the school and I couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen at the end – and I was pleased with the conclusion. I liked how the author created this fairytale world and I was fascinated by the world-building. I felt like walking around their school together with them.

Overall, an interesting take on fairytales, but I wished it was a bit shorter and I disliked Sophie too much. I'll be continuing this series to see where Chainani is going to take it - and how could I ever resist a fairytale retelling?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

16 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like this Mel! I've been hearing mixed things about this book, so it's good to finally see someone who absolutely loved the book! :D<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard some mixed things too, but it was good :D

      Delete
  2. Awesome review sweetie :D Glad you enjoyed this book. <3 I cannot wait to read my copy of it. But oh. Sorry you didn't enjoy reading about Sophie :\ Thank you for your honest review. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like SO many characters these days are unbelievably attractive (and so beautiful that they don't even know it). It's a little far-fetched sometimes as most people are just average looking. Anyway I'm glad you liked Agatha's character and enjoyed this book overall. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I don't like that too-pretty-aspect.

      Delete
  4. A couple of people complained about this book being a bit too long, but it's nice to see that you were able to enjoy it! i just LOVE the cover, and because of that, I have to OWN this book!! Fantastic review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover and artwork are stunning! They alone are worth buying this book, haha.

      Delete
  5. AAAHHH! This one! I NEED TO HAVE THIS IN MY BRAIN. I have it for review but completely forgot about it so yeah... really need to find time for this to be on my reading schedule.

    Great review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put it higher on your list! Can't wait to hear what you think :)

      Delete
  6. This book first got my attention with the amazing trailer they made for it! I'm glad you at least liked it; it's actually intersting to see what didn't work for you because the couple reviews I've read before were mostly positive.
    Sometimes I actually like a truly evil character. You know, in the 'love to hate' kind of way. But I also understand that it can be annoying. I'm glad Agatha's character worked so well for you :)
    The fairytale aspect is really original though, I've never seen it done in this way before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes like that too, but it just felt weird in Sophie's case.

      Delete
  7. I cannot wait to read this- I bought it on tbd a week or so ago and am so excited! I think it sounds just like my kind of read!
    I'm sorry it wasn't as great as it could have been for you- I'm really intrigued by Sophie and look forward to seeing what I make of her (just one thing- when you were describing her faults you write shellfish instead of selfish. I'm not sure if it's intentional- I will love this book even more if it is!). I am a little daunted by it's size, but hopefully it works for me!
    Great review, Mel! I'm happy to have you back blogging! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thanks for telling. I use a program with autocorrection, so I guess they didn't like selfish :p I'll change it right away!

      Delete
  8. I adored this book so much though I know what you mean about Sophie. I have really been into "mean" girl characters lately-I like when they're complicated and push people around. I wouldn't like that in real life but in a book, it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the awesome review Mel! I'm actually reading this one at the moment and I have to say, so far I'm feeling pretty much exactly how you're describing here :) Sophie is a tough one to connect with eh? I just wish she'd accept her obvious nature faster LOL But yeah, it would have been impossible for me to resist a book like this too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0