Sunday, July 14, 2013 21:03

Review 175. C.J Redwine – Defiance.

11410430Title: Defiance.
Author: C.J Redwine.
Pages: 403.
Published: August 28th 2012.
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Sort: Part one of ‘Defiance.’
Source: I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for a honest review.

While the other girls in the walled city-state of Baalboden learn to sew and dance, Rachel Adams learns to track and hunt. While they bend like reeds to the will of their male Protectors, she uses hers for sparring practice. When Rachel's father fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the city's brutal Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector: her father's apprentice, Logan—the boy she declared her love to and who turned her down two years before. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.
Rating:

I think I expected too much from this book, so I was a bit disappointed. This book has a lot of elements I normally like, but it never managed to ‘wow’ me. That might be because of Rachel, but I liked it enough to continue the series some time.

Rachel’s father is announced ‘dead’ when he doesn’t return from a mission. Logan becomes her new Protector and she is not happy with him. When she told him years ago that she loved him, he turned her down. Rachel is planning to escape from the city to find her father: she doesn’t believe he is dead. He is the best tracker and that is why Rachel is so different from other girls. She learned hunting and fighting. When Rachel is caught during her escape, she is brought before the Commandant. He blackmails her: if she doesn’t find the package her father hid in the forest, he will kill Logan. Logan is thrown into a cell and Rachel tracks into the woods to save him. This is not without danger: in the forest lives The Cursed One, something that is similar to a dragon. But Logan isn’t planning to leave her alone and he manages to break free. Together, they must unravel the mystery around her father’s package.

Rachel started as a great character. She stayed true to her father and she had some spunk. I liked that her father educated her in hunting and fighting. It’s a shame that these potential awesome aspects were overshadowed by things I didn’t like about her. This made it a bit hard to connect to her. She does irrational things and I didn’t like the way she treated Logan. I don’t like the grudge she holds against him, because he was just honest all those years ago. She had some whiny moments and I sometimes wanted to facepalm, but Logan made up for it. He was intelligent and I like how crafty he is. He made some great inventions, like his tracking device. I thought he was sweet and very patient with Rachel. Despite that, I didn’t feel the chemistry between them. I didn’t care for it, although this was cute:

”I want Rachel. Not because she’s beautiful. Not because she’s my responsibility. I want her because she makes me laugh. Makes me think. Inspires me to be the kind of man I always hoped I’d be. I want Rachel because the thought of a life without her is more than I can bare.”

I like how he loves her not only for her beauty, but also for the things he admires about her personality.

The plot is alright. The Cursed One wasn’t explored as much as I wanted and I found the pacing a bit off sometimes. The beginning of the real story takes a lot of time and I wished it went a bit faster. This book feels more like a step-up for the second book.

I might sound a bit harsh, but it wasn’t a bad book at all. I found it enjoyable, but not as good as I thought it would be. A solid 3 flowers book.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

35 comments:

  1. I've really been wanting to read Defiance for some time now, it sounds just like the type of book I'd love. I guess I'll just have to give it a shot and see. Great review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually like people or faces on the covers of books but I think she looks like she can kick some tail. And I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, Mel! I felt the same about this book. It was alright but at the same time I was expecting far more from this book... :( Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like this one is destined for averageness, everyone seems to find it entertaining, but not without fault. I love that the romance doesn't sound solely based on looks-finally! Thanks for the review, Mel! Hope you are having a blast in Italy!

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quote,...it sounds like just the kind of love story I enjoy. As far as pacing and plot, I'm finding a few books lately that seem to be just set up for the second book. I think that would bother me too, but I definitely plan to give this series a try still! Thanks for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've encountered some other books like this one as well. Sometimes it works (like The assassin's curse) but this felt a bit too meh.

      Delete
  6. The romance was a sweet aspect but I felt it overpowering the plot- Rachel was an average character for me as well.

    Lovely review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason I liked the romance was because of Logan - he is sweet :D

      Delete
  7. To be honest, I can't recall any of the story at all apart from a certain someone's death! I do remember feeling pretty much the same way you did about this one, though. You're right: it definitely wasn't perfect, but it was pretty enjoyable - a three-star read for me, too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's one of the worst feelings - when you expect too much from a book and then you end up disappointed. I have heard nothing but great things about it but too bad Rachel wasn't something more as mc should always be that. Great review Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, it sucks when you go into a book with high expectations, only to be disappointed. I've been wanting to read Defiance for a while now. I mean, look at that cover! Logan sounds like a great character - cute. Not sure how I'd feel about Rachel. I do plan on giving this book a shot, but I'll lower my expectations somewhat now. Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, such a shame when that happens. I hope you'll like it!

      Delete
  10. Great review Mel. <3 I agree about everything that you said. I didn't fully love it either, although I did enjoy it at times :D Thank you for being honest. <3 Hope you'll read and enjoy the sequel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the sequel, so that's a good sign :)

      Delete
  11. Heard either great reviews for this or mixed, sad to hear that the MC was whiny :( But I am liking the sound of Logan, it's great that he likes Rachel for her personality. Fantastic review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I can totally understand what you felt about this book. Although I have enjoyed it I did find Rachel a bit annoying and whinny. But Logan definitely makes up for it. I think he's my favorite character here. Great honest review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This Is one of those books that I have on my shelf for over a year but I haven't brought myself to read it yet. Its very frustrating. I've heard many mixed reviews, so I'm not holding any high expectations! But thank you for a lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just give it a shot, you might like it! :)

      Delete
  14. I haven't really heard of this book much, Mel and it seems fairly good. You kind of lost me at the 'whiny' part but at least Logan seems alright (and I love his name). :D I don't know if I'll pick this up soon, but it does seem pretty interesting. Nice review, Mel! : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I keep wanting to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Darn. I always thought Rachel would be a kickass heroine. She sounds too whiny to me from this review though. Total disappointment there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I never expected her to whine so much..

      Delete
  17. I liked this one more than you did, but really what pulled it through for me was Logan. I loved him and tolerated Rachel. I will be reading the rest of the series, so I'm hoping maybe it will improve. One can always hope.

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  18. This seems to be the general consensus I've seen of Defiance re: The Cursed One. I've also heard a few not so great things about Rachel/Logan, though. It's cool that you enjoyed this one; if it is truly set-up for the sequel, then hopefully you'll like Deception even more!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw... I just splurged on this one because it's on sale as an ebook. I heard a lot of good stuff about it but I like hearing a slightly different view of it. Keeps things in perspective. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0