Review 174. Megan Shepherd – The madman’s daughter.

12291438Title: The madman’s daughter.
Author: Megan Shepherd.
Pages: 420.
Published: January 29th 2013
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Sort: Part one of ‘The madman’s daughter.’
Source: I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
In the darkest places, even love is deadly. Sixteen-year-old Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself in London—working as a maid, attending church on Sundays, and trying not to think about the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumours about her father's gruesome experiments. But when she learns he is alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she is determined to find out if the accusations are true. Accompanied by her father's handsome young assistant, Montgomery, and an enigmatic castaway, Edward—both of whom she is deeply drawn to—Juliet travels to the island, only to discover the depths of her father's madness: He has experimented on animals so that they resemble, speak, and behave as humans. And worse, one of the creatures has turned violent and is killing the island's inhabitants. Torn between horror and scientific curiosity, Juliet knows she must end her father's dangerous experiments and escape her jungle prison before it's too late. Yet as the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father's genius—and madness—in her own blood.
Rating

What an interesting book. It’s slightly disturbing and creepy, but also refreshing. It’s different from anything I’ve read this year and I really liked it. Be aware that there is violence against animal in the form of experiments. I can’t imagine why someone is against this in books – it’s a story after all – but at least I’ve warned you. I haven’t read the original story, but it might be fun to give it a shot now. I can’t wait to see the similarity between these books.

”Maybe we weren’t wicked, but there was something stained, something torn, in the fabric of our being.”

Summary.

Juliet’s mother passed away and she is now trying to survive by cleaning the laboratory after animal experiments. As a girl, there is no way she can study with the boys to have a chirurgic future. But she isn’t just a regular lady. Her father was a famous surgeon before a huge scandal destroyed his future. He disappeared from her life, but he left her with a lot of information about biology and experiments. When Juliet hears rumours about her father, she decided to gain more information and that is how she finds Montgomery. She grew up with him and he tells her about her father: he is now living on an abandoned island, practicing new experiments. Juliet is desperate to escape her life and she travels with Montgomery. On their way, they find a man on sea called Edward.

Juliet is now thrown into the madness of her father’s mind. What is going on with all the strange vivisections and the deformed humans?

Opinion.
Vivisections; I think it’s horrible to do something like that to an animal, but it was interesting to read about. Especially with the mad mind of Juliet’s father. He is a twisted genius who tries to show he is equal to God and it gives a lot of excitement in this book. There are some scary situations when her father loses control over his experiments. A monster is roaming around and Juliet is starting to worry about her life. I had some heart-pounding moments and that has been a while. I loved it! This story is quite messed-up and the side characters are fascinating.

I was also invested in Juliet’s story. Abandoned by her father after his bad reputation, alone after her mother’s dead, it’s not easy for her. She is far too intelligent, determined and free for this time period and I admire her spirit. I could connect with her: she wants to learn and she is interested in biology. I’m not easily disgusted like her, because of my study. (example: I had to do a section on a rat. He died humane) I didn’t care for the love-triangle. She is very easy when it comes to love and I didn’t feel the connection between any of the characters. She and Montgomery were the most likeable together, since they have a past, but love? Nope.

The writing-style is pleasant. It’s fast, easy and descriptive. It wasn’t hard to get swept away and I saw everything around me – which was quite terrifying now and then. The ending was good. Closed, but I’m also looking forward to the next book.

31 comments

  1. Hi Mel! I really liked this book. Interesting, no? Anyways, great review.

    http://bookaholic-ness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard very mixed reviews about this book and mainly I've heard the romance wasn't done too well so I do have this on my TBR pile but a little hesitant because of the romance. I'm glad the story was quite fascinating though :) That will probably help push me to read this when the time comes haha. Great review Mel :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I didn't care for the romance, but there was enough to like :D

      Delete
  3. I loved the book, but the one thing that really put me off was the love triangle. Great review!

    Check out my review of the book at http://myviewpointonbooks.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-madman-daughter-book-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also liked this book. I'm still not sure how I felt about the romance but I like how each book in the series is based on a classic novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen mixed reviews on this one but a lot did say that the thing about Juliet's father was interesting albeit quite disturbing. I've heard the same complaints about the romance too. But I think the most still say that the overall was really good. I might pick this up someday. Great review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the perfect conclusion, disturbing and overall interesting :)

      Delete
  6. I don't support animal cruelty either, but vivisection is something not always explored in fiction, so that was one of the many things that interested me. I'm so glad that the author did a great job with the action and the characterization. Dr. Moreau would definitely be a fascinating person to read about. I'm happy you liked this overall, Mel. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested to see the resembles with the original story.

      Delete
  7. Hmm... it seems that everyone enjoys this overall, but have their own qualms. The major one I've been hearing is a bad love triangle- which I am no fan of. Don't like the sound of violence to animals though. :|

    Fab review, chick! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, the love-triangle doesn't spoil much :)

      Delete
  8. People seem to have mixed feelings on this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome honest review Mel :D Glad you enjoyed it a lot. <3 I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the romance, though :\ I didn't like the triangle, but I loved Montgomery :) Hih. Anyway. I just loved how creepy this book was :D Loved reading about all of it. Sigh. Just so good :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely preferred him, but I wished they had more chemistry.

      Delete
  10. I was not quite a fan of the love triangle either but I loved the overall feel of the book! Vivisection didn't bother me as an element of the story but some of the more fantastical elements... I just couldn't wrap my brain around it! Looking forward to the next books in the series though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this book when I read it. It is probably even going to go on my best of 2013 list at the end of the year. Vivisection doesn't both me because I understand the knowledge that can be gained from it even if the act itself leaves me squeamish. I can understand why some people might be turned off by it though even if it is in a book and not "real". Looking forward to the next book as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, we get a lot of knowledge, but that is luckily also possible when the animals died humane.

      Delete
  12. Sucks that you weren't able to connect to any of the characters! I really wanted to read this book, and now I'm a bit disappointed... Thanks for your honest review, Mel!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm...I don't like violence against animals, but I guess i'm not too fussed about reading it in books. (As long as I don't see it happen in real life!) I don't like the sound of the love triangle, but the other parts I am liking the sound of! Awesome review, Mel<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to see it in real life either! But this is just fiction after all :)

      Delete
  14. I haven't read the original story either, but I totally loved The Madman's Daughter! And ugh, vivisection is EVIL. It kinda broke my heart a bit to read about it.
    I thought it was really creepy and I'm dying to see what will happen in the next book! I can see why you wouldn't really feel the romance though, it's a bit complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book was creepy and disturbing at times, like you said, but the focus shifted too much on the love-triangle from time to time. I did like Montgomery, too, but what irritated me in this book was that Juliet's feelings for both Montgomery and Edward depended on who was with her at the moment. Juliet's father was my favorite, though. Finally a decent mad villain! I've been waiting for one for a long time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wish she was more consistent with her feelings.

      Delete
  16. It's so hard for me to write 3 star reviews. It's like "good" but not great. Good and you'd read more - but not rush out and buy it more sort of thing. I might have this one on my shelf...but I'm not gonna scour my rack for it haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 stars for me are just solid, good books. The ones you read one time and you want to continue the series, but you won't be re-reading them soon.

      Delete
  17. I hated the romance here so much-I felt like Juliet only liked whoever she was near last.

    I applaud your strong stomach-the vivisection scenes wrecked me and I ended up having to skim some just because I couldn't handle them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. At first, before I'd read any reviews for it, I was super keen to read this, but as I"ve read more and more reviews I'm less keen- it's not that they've all been negative (I'm pretty sure I've only read one negative review for this) but when I hear about the subject in more detail it just does not sound like something I would like. I'm glad others are enjoying it, though!
    Excellent review- I'm happy you enjoyed it (mostly) and could relate at times to the characters. That is always the best feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So I am currently listening to the audiobook for this. I am almost finished! I am a huge animal lover so any mention of suffering just makes me want to cry. And there are definitely some disturbing, eery parts to this book that make me shudder. Quite messed-up is right! I am also having a hard time imagining these creatures and since I science-minded I find it very hard to move past. BUT this story is creepily fascinating and well-written and I am enjoying it otherwise :D I agree with you on the love-triangle though. I am not feeling much there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.