Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:39

Review 173. Anna Carey – Rise.

14811943Title: Rise.
Author: Anna Carey.
Pages: 310.
Published: April 2nd 2013 by HarperCollins
Sort: Conclusion for ‘Eve.’
Part 1: Eve.
Part 2: Once.

How far will you go when you have nothing left to lose?
When she lost her soul mate, Caleb, Eve felt like her world had ended. Trapped in the palace, forced to play the part of the happy, patriotic princess of The New America—and the blushing bride of her father's top adviser—Eve's whole life is a lie. The only thing that keeps her going is Caleb's memory, and the revolution he started. Now, Eve is taking over where Caleb left off. With the help of Moss, an undercover subversive in the King's court, she plots to take down The New America, beginning with the capital, the City of Sand. Will Eve be able to bring about a new, free world when she's called upon to perform the ultimate act of rebellion—killing her father?
Rating:

This book.. I don’t even know where to get started. There are two types of reviews I find hard to write: books I absolutely love and books I find so terrible I hate them with a fierce passion. This book falls in the last category. It’s almost unworthy of the 1.5-rating, but despite the truly horrible ending, the middle part isn’t that bad – hence the 1.5 flowers. This book is the perfect example of: How to destroy a complete series? I will never recommend this series because of this ending.
There is not much to say about the story anyway. Eve works together with the rebels and Mose gives her an important task: she must kill her father. When her father finds out, Eve flees with a couple of girls to take them to the safe haven: Califia. When they arrive there, Eve returns to complete the murder. This is where the whole book collapses.

First: I didn’t like Eve that much in the other books, but she might be even worse here. She is pregnant from Caleb, but Charles is protecting her by claiming it’s his child. He does everything for her, but Eve is acting like a bitch. Charles didn’t deserve her attitude: she seems to forget he is forced to marry her too. It’s not like he had a choice either. She tries to act like a leader, but I found her whiny and annoying. The fact that she tries to stay kind to everyone almost spoils her attempt to flee with some girls.

Second: the story dragged a little, although I quite liked the plot. The rebels infiltrated the system, Eve trying to murder her father and the riots everywhere. There was enough action and scheme to make it interesting. The only thing that continuously annoyed me where old characters that kept popping up with no particular role. The story would have been better without these don’t-matter-situations.

Third: THE ENDING. I suggest you don’t read this if you are planning to read this book.
Select the text:
WHY, why would you bring Caleb back into the story? It seems like a very sad attempt to give Eve a happy ending, but boy, this spoiled everything. And don’t leave it hanging like that! We don’t get to see them meeting each other or how things  continue after this. What is going to happen to the city, the schools, the riots? It feels like someone tore the last pages of my book. I still can’t believe someone would end a book like this!

It still makes me mad. I invested my time and this is the conclusion.. 
                                             
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

18 comments:

  1. The characters and idea of this story sounds full on crazy and ludicrous- highly doubt I'll be starting this series now. I hope your next read is better!

    Brilliant review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the start, I never really was interested in this book. First off, I didn't sound like my type of book, and secondly I've read so many bad reviews on this one. I probably will never get into this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of people seem to have been disappointed by this one! I made the decision not to continue with the series (though I did like the first book) and I guess I won't be changing my mind anytime soon. Sorry that it was such a poor read for you, Mel. I hope your next book is more satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I should have kept it with the first book.

      Delete
  4. "There are two types of reviews I find hard to write: books I absolutely love and books I find so terrible I hate them with a fierce passion."

    Very true, and at such opposite ends of the pole. I tend to rate excessively on the latter and struggle for words on the former.

    Eee. I didn't know the series had a love triangle. (I also just realized this was the third book in the series - the cover made me think of the first one). But from what you said, well, this is exactly why I hate love triangles. They make you dislike the heroine when she does things like that to prolong the triangle (i.e. treating Charles badly).

    Ooh, open endings. They are so tricky to pull off, and rarely do they seem to work... I am sorry that you feel like this book ruined the entire series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha it's funny I have the best time writing reviews for books I loved or hated. It's those 3 stars ones I hate bleh. I haven't dared start this series yet though I've seen so many mixed opinions and I have a feeling I'll be in the hate side. But at least the middle part was ok, right? Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With books I love: I always have the feeling I can't do them any justice.
      With books I hate: I find it hard to show how awful they are, because all I think is "I HATE IT" haha. But I don't want to be too hash either.

      Delete
  6. I keep reading bad reviews of this one so for me it is a pass LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you! The exact same thing happened with the Matched trilogy by Ally Condie for me- I loved the first book, the second was beginning to go down and the third was, I felt, just ridiculous! I don't like it when things are left too open at the end of a series, but when they're completely closed and finalised it's also not good. I like it so you can imagine for yourself, but not so that you have no real clue as to what happened.
    Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just like to have answers to the important questions/storylines. Open endings are the worst.

      Delete
  8. I keep seeing negative reviews for RISE that I'm not very interested in the series anymore. While I can usually stand heroines that are bitchy and whiny IF it's justified, I doubt I'd be able to do so for Eve. What a shame - this series had such an interesting premise. It's sad to see such potential go to waste. Thanks for the wonderful review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing review, Mel. <3 Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts. I loved book one and two SO MUCH, but yeah. I doubt I will ever read this final one :( I knew about the ending right away, and goddamn it. I'm not pleased at all, so I don't blame you for giving it a 1 star. (SPOILER: I'm happy Caleb is alive. But seriously? We didn't even get to SEE him at all?! That sucked big time. Sigh.) Anyway :D Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SPOILER:

      I'd rather have him dead. This made the story unrealistic and just.. AHH, no, it was bad.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0