Tuesday, June 25, 2013 15:23

Review 169. Amy Tintera – Reboot.

13517455Title: Reboot.
Author: Amy Tintera.
Pages: 365.
Published: May 7th 2013.
Publisher: HarperTeen.
Sort: Part one of ‘Reboot’
Source: I received a review copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation). Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum. The perfect soldier is done taking orders.

Rating

I didn’t requested this book when I emailed Sarah from HarperCollins, but she was kind enough to provide a review copy from Reboot with the other books. And I’m happy she did, because it was exactly what I was looking for. A virus, action, kick ass characters and some romance: that’s how I like it!

It has been a great year when it comes to Dystopian books, so far. I’ve had some disappointing books (Mila  2.0 and Fragments) but Reboot can claim a spot among What’s left of me, Partials and Legend.

First of all, virus! I feel like I repeat myself, but I love Dystopian books with biological backgrounds. This virus is the reason people return to a ‘better’ version, but Reboots are feared and used as slaves by humans. They are used to maintain order by capturing criminals and sick people. The world-building was good. There was enough information to understand it, but I could use even more details to have a complete picture.

Wren is one of the best Reboots, but Callum is the opposite. With 22 minutes, he is almost completely human and he doesn’t like to take orders. Wren’s trust in HARC is starting to crumble because of his endless questions. Callum is great. I liked how confident he is without being arrogant. He is a bit impulsive and disobedient; that’s why Wren is ordered to eliminate him. I admire his strength for standing up for his believes. I’m happy that Wren decides to escape with him. It was fun to see her change because of Callum. Her change might have been a bit fast, but it worked for me. This book is quite fast-paced, so it never felt too forced. I liked Wren and her two-sided personality. She can snap someone’s neck in a second, but she’s also blushing when Callum flirts with her. The soft-side makes her complete and much easier to connect with her.

There is a lot of action in this book – it’s not overwhelmed by a romantic plot. This is how you write a good Dystopian story. I’m looking forward to the next book, since it ends quite abrupt, but satisfying.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

39 comments:

  1. Reboot surely was an amazing ride. I loved Wren and Clasmu as individuals but the romance for me seemed a tad rushed. Nonetheless, I enjoyed her 'two sided' personality as well.

    Fabulous review, Melanie! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen many people who found the romance rushed. I can see why, but for me, it worked :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one!!! I really enjoyed the action as well and the romance was nicely done! I loved the balance that Callum brought to Wren :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dystopia, so I'm really looking forward to reading this one myself! It sounds like the kind of book I'll love, so I'll definitely be getting a copy of it soon. And I'm so happy that the romance doesn't take over the story, I hate when that happens with a dystopia. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hate that too. I'm reading a Dystopian for a dystopian feeling, not because I want to see much romance.

      Delete
  4. I loved this book! It would make such a terrific movie :) Great review!
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pace of the romance didn't work quite so well for me, but I did enjoy this book overall! I agree about the world-building - there was enough to make sense, but I wouldn't mind some more depth in the second book. Lovely review, Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen more bloggers who had trouble with the pacing. I guess it depends on personal taste :D I really hope the second book brings more dimension to the world-building.

      Delete
  6. wow sounds like a great dystopian!! I love it when there's action in books, and I'm hooked on the story! Great review, I will be looking out for this one!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. !!! I actually tend to not like dystopians with a biological background for the reason you probably do (because of your studies, yeah?). I've heard a lot of mixed things about Reboot, but it sounds like you loved it and that the balance of action and romance and world-building was done just right :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the reasons, yeah :D But I can see it's not everybody's cup of tea. I just tend to find it more.. realistic. I can see something like this happen some day.

      Delete
  8. This one sounds awesome! I haven't picked this book up yet but I really want to soon!! And the idea of a reboot is really cool :D

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is . . . I LOVED THIS BOOK! Bring on book 2. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been iffy about this book. I have it on my TBR list. But I like What's Left of Me a lot, and if this is anything like that then it's worth reading. Plus, I love action. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen some not so good reviews first and that draw me away from this book, later I started seeing some really amazing reviews and I'm happy that I have the book. I really like books with biological background and I can't wait to read this one. Great review! :)

    Tanja @ Ja čitam, a ti?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you enjoyed this one - it's on my wishlist! I adore main characters who have a tough, non-wielding exterior but are hiding a softer, more vulnerable side. The plot of this one sounds fantastic and I'm glad the author has spent a considerable amount of time creating a strong world! Callum sounds loveable too!

    Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good review! I've added this one to my TBR because of it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't enjoy this as much as you did, unfortunately, but still liked it overall. I love dystopian books with biological backgrounds, too, but felt that Reboot focused too much on the romance rather than the other aspects. Still, I did like Callum, so that's something, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book seems to get very mixed opinions! :)

      Delete
  15. I really want to read this one. I have to agree about how disappointing Mila 2.0 is. That book was just not for me and I really was looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard some less positive things about this one, which made me a little hesitant, but I'm glad you enjoyed it so much because I will definitely be looking to pick it up now. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love dystopian books too and Reboot sounds like a really fun! A lot of action and a little romance sounds like the perfect balance to me and the biological element only makes it more appealing :D Thanks for the great review Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yesss. Glad you loved it too. <3 Thank you for not thinking there was too much romance, like so many other people seems to say :\ Sigh. I wished there was more romance, to be honest :D Just loved Callum and Wren so much. <3 They were both perfect. Thank you for sharing your awesome review, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot of people seem to be bothered by the romance. I never felt.. overwhelmed by it.

      Delete
  19. I am NOT a fan of zombie books but I really loved this one. Lots of action and a great dynamic between Callum and Wren!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't really enjoy this as much as you did but I'm glad you did :) Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oohhh this sounds FANTASTIC! I can't believe I still haven't cracked open my copy yet..must get to it soon :) Glad you liked this so much Mel<3 Fab review :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adored the push and pull of Wren and Callum-their relationship really made this book for me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad that you loved it! I didn't enjoy it as much, unfortunately. I couldn't stand the inconsistencies of Wren's character, and the romance, as Melanie said, was a bit rushed to me. Great review, nonetheless!

    Faye @ The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this book gets a lot of these mixed opinions. I really like that though :D

      Delete
  24. This sounds very interesting- I've only heard a little bit about it before, and I think this is my first review, and as of now I'm not quite sure whether or not I'll decide to read it, but I am intrigued. Having a character who can be both deadly and blush when she's with someone she likes is something I've been interested in lately, so it's a factor that draws me to this book, if only to see how that played out. I don't think it's often done too well, but this sounds promising!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0