Review 166. Nancy Holder – The rose bride.

The Rose Bride: A Retelling of "The White Bride and the Black Bride" (Once Upon a Time)Title: The rose bride.
Author: Nancy Holder.
Pages: 256.
Published: January 4th 2011 by Simon Pulse
Sort: Part of the ‘Once upon a time’ series.
When Rose's mother dies, her only comfort is the exquisite rose garden her mother left behind. The purple blossoms serve as an assurance of her mother's love. But Rose is dealt a second blow when her father dies and his greedy widow, Ombrine, and her daughter, Desirée, move in and take over the manor in true Cinderella fashion. Fate has been cruel to Ombrine and Desirée, too. So despite their harsh ways, Rose has compassion. But these feelings are bitterly tested when, in a rage, Ombrine tears out the garden. Rose nearly gives up all hope -- until a chance meeting with the king. Happiness might be within her reach, but first she must prevail over Ombrine. And then she must determine if she has the courage to love.
Rating: 

I’m almost done with this series. I believe I need to read 2 more stories and then I’ve finished all the Once upon a time books. Are you guys interested in a recap where I show the best and worst books? This one definitely belongs to the last category. The writing-style wasn't that bad, but the story felt too stretched.

I actually haven’t read the original story, which is ‘The white bride and the black bride’, so that might be part of the reason I didn’t fall in love with it. It all started interesting. Rose’s father is always gone to work, because he feels like it’s important to provide enough money for his family. Rose misses him and her mother makes a wish to her Goddess: she wants prove for Rose that her mother loves her. Upon that wish, her mother dies and a beautiful bush with purple roses starts to grow. The roses always talk to her, telling her that “she is loved” Yeah, great. I think she’d rather have her mother around. When Roses father remarries and dies, Rose needs to survive under the regime of Ombrine and Desirée. This has a Cinderella vibe, where Rose still manages to stay sweet and innocent.

There is also another story, where the King loses his wife and their son during the child-birth. The King is sick with sadness until he sees Rose: she looks exactly like his wife (and I still don’t get why.) He wants to marry her (because it’s all about looks after all), but Rose is transformed into a deer by her Goddess. Desirée takes of Rose appearance with black magic and she marries the King.

The whole Goddess aspect didn’t seem to fit into the story. I found it rather strange and the choices from the Goddess were weird. Killing of her mother and transforming her into a deer? Oh well.. The part where Rose is a deer is extremely slow-paced and stretched. She meets the King, they become friends and in the end we have a happily-ever-after. I did like the idea of them becoming friends and how they bond once Rose is human again. There is no insta-love between them, but I also didn’t feel any connection.

The story was a bit bland and ‘meh' so it's not recommended.

25 comments

  1. I've actually heard that GFC might be shutting down soon! >.< I'm not too sure, but I'm still going to encourage people to follow me via Bloglovin' and Linky rather than GFC. :) OMG FABULOUS, MEL! Exams are tough and nerve wracking, so good on you for doing so well. <3 I haven't heard of this series before, but the plot seems fairly interesting, albeit a tad overdone. After reading your review, I don't think I'll bother picking it up. Thanks for the honest review, Mel! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear mixed things about GFC, but I just want to be sure that all my followers are able to keep following me! Bloglovin' is the most secure option. And yes, they are nerve wracking! And they take all my reading time away :(

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I knew Google Reader was going out next month and I feared GFC was next. Which is horrible since that's how I follow everything! :(

    Anyway nice review. I've read a good portion of this series, but not all of them. I still need to read this one. Miss the old covers too. These real people are not doing anything for me. I liked the portrait look better because it just seemed to mesh well with the fairy tale vibe. Will still read this one eventually though. Seems like it would be a quick read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww. Sorry this end up to be quite a bland story and it does seems like it seemed pretty stretched out especially with the transformation of Rose to a deer? (Seriously?) Thanks for the honest review though, Mel.

    Anyway, I don't think GFC is shutting down too. I did some research a few months ago after hearing of the rumors. I found this link and it cleared and explained some things. http://www.lifeandeverythingelseinbetween.com/2013/03/google-readergfc-information.html :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard mixed things indeed, but just to be sure, I hope everybody subscribes to another option :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the exam! About the book.. um, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it that much. I had no idea Simon Pulse had this kinda book out there *__* As for the GFC, it still hasn't gone anywhere and I don't think it's going to despite the claims. I use feedly myself and I'm so very satisfied with it, but lots of people still use GFC and authors who follow my blog don't usually have a Bloglovin', Feedly etc account so it benefits for them if they're interested in reading some of my posts. I do get where you're coming from though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to make sure that every follower can keep following me. With all the rumours and fuss around GFC, I think Bloglovin' etc are the most secure options now.

      Delete
  5. I haven't really heard much of this book, and even though it looks really interesting, I understand where you're coming from. I don't think I will pick up this book, but such a nice review, Mel! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this one would be a "nice try" for me too. Great review, as always, on it though, Mel! I hate when a series starts to go south. Sometimes I try to think of them as only 1 or 2 longs so I'm not so disappointed! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stretched stories don't go well with me, unfortunately, so while Rose Bride sounds like a nice read, I don't think I'd like it anymore than you did! Ha, the story does sound pretty ridiculous at parts, and forcing mythology (I'm assuming this Goddess is a Greek or Roman myth?) into fairytales don't really work well...

    Sorry this didn't work out for you, but thanks for the helpful review! I know now to stay away from this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was Greek Mythology. Very strange combination..

      Delete
  8. Hmm, too bad this one didn't work for you. No sure it would've worked for me either, based off of what you had to say about it, honestly! In other news, congrats on passing your first exam! I still need to make the jump from Google Reader to Bloglovin' (I know, I know, I'm having a hard time letting go), but one I do, I will for sure follow you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GFC is shutting down? Darn and yay at the same time! I get most of my stats from there but it's rather useless. Just a bunch of meaningless numbers. Eh.

    I think I'll pass on this book. I'm not awfully intrigued.

    Lovely review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think Bloglovin' and other platforms are more accurate ways :)

      Delete
  10. I haven't heard of this book before but it definitely doesn't sound like a book for me :( The plot sounds interesting but that doesn't really do much if it isn't executed well. Great review!

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, this book sounds kind of weird. Definitely not my kind of story. BUT, the cover is so pretty. I love those colors together. And wow, I can't believe you're almost done with that series. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to finish it! I love finishing series and I've been reading this one for a while now.

      Delete
  12. Too bad the book wasn't a great one... Also, congrats on immuno! I hated immuno, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite subjects actually, haha.

      Delete
  13. Congrats on passing your first exam-super excited for you!

    I would love to read which books you think are the best, the worst, the most unique take on the fairy tale, have the best romance, etc. Whatever categories spring to mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.