Review 165. Julie Kagawa – The eternity cure.

The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)Title: The eternity cure.
Author: Julie Kagawa.
Pages: 446.
Published: April 30th 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen.
Sort: Part two of ‘Blood of Eden.’
Review part 1: The immortal rules.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally. Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.
Rating:

Finally! I was so happy when the publisher accepted my request on Netgalley. I’ve been dying to read this book after my love for The immortal rules – and this book definitely didn’t disappoint me. If there is one author who knows how to write an engaging story, it’s Kagawa.

Needless to say: I loved the characters. Allie is back, we get to see Zeke and Jackal is added to the cast. I’m happy that Kanin plays a bigger role in this story and damn, Sarren is one of the scariest characters I’ve encountered in a while. Allie is a bit different though. She sometimes borders on the line of becoming a whiner. She feels guilty about the monster inside her and she is constantly worrying about Kanin and Zeke. I liked her much more after they find Kanin, but Jackal’s presence lightened everything up. He is sarcastic and he accepted who he is. He made me laugh a couple of times and I like how complex and unpredictable he is. Zeke! Zeke! He couldn’t have been any more adorable. He completely accepts Allie for who she is and he is such a brave and tough guy. Zeke and Allie are perfect together.

I did have some trouble with the pacing. I was really hooked to the story around 64%, a bit late. The book starts with Allie’s search for Kanin. She stumbles on Jackal first and together, they try to find their sire. This part was a bit slow. Their dialogues were fun, but most of the story is about Allie’s struggle with acceptance. When they find Zeke in one of the most unexpected places, it started to get interesting. This group of unlike partners find Kanin and this is where the true action and story kicks in. They need to hunt down Sarren – a psychopath who gave me the shivers. From his horrible appearance to his maniacal actions, he is the perfect villain.

THE ENDING. OH MY! So cruel and awesome at the same time! This is how you write a cliff-hanger. I liked the action and the tension now and then, but I expected a bit more bloody and gore scenes. This, together with the somewhat slow pacing, made this book a 4 instead of a 5. But I’m still looking forward to the last book, the forever song! It’s going to be epic :D.


55 comments

  1. Great review! I'm actually reading it now, so I'm even more excited to finish it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved thsi book, great review! I can't wait for book #3.
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zeke is awesome! I love him to pieces. But Jackal was a great character as well- he's hilarious. I did find Allie a little more whiny than I would have liked but I could relate to her greatly.

    Great review, Mel! I'm glad you enjoyed this one. Book three here we come. ^,^ <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree about the pacing, Mel! The book only picked up for me when they got back to the city, which is two thirds of the read through. Great review, hon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, Jackal sounds awesome and YAY Zeke! He is just adorable. <3 I quite enjoyed book 1, but for some reason I just haven't been all that eager to pick the sequel up. Still, brilliant review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review Mel :D I totally agree with you. About the slow pacing too.. but I still managed to love it :D Wish it had been more bloody too, lol ;) And ahh! ENDING WAS AWFUL. Yet I loved every moment of it. So amazing. Sigh. And Zeke. Love. Yesss. They are perfect together. <3 So glad you loved this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh So glad you liked this one!! I really need to read it already, it's been on my list to read/review forever now (totally late!) !

    :D

    April @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read The Immortal Rules because zombies really aren't my thing, but I'm glad to hear that the sequel is really good! And cliff-hanger endings are always bittersweet, lol. They're so good yet bad since there's a wait for the next book. Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zombies are just a tiny aspect of this book. It's really more about vampires :)!

      Delete
  9. I completely agree with your entire review. Sarren is so frightening and I absolutely love Kanin's character and was glad to see him in this novel. I have to admit-the title of the last book is a little scary considering what we know! Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, the title terrifies me! I have some suspicion and I'm a bit scared that I'm right :p

      Delete
  10. I completely agree with just about everything you said! I thought the beginning was a little slow too and I was really sad because I thought that it wouldn't live to my really high expectations, but it TOTALLY did. I'm glad you enjoyed all the characters too I'm kind of obsessed with Jackal.

    Fantastic review, Melanie! I'm glad you liked this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I plan on picking this up at some point as I enjoyed the first one. I might wait a bit seeing as there is such a cliffhanger. Great review, Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea. I wish I could have waited any longer, but it was just too tempting.

      Delete
  12. This sounds awesome! I really enjoyed The Immortal Rules, but I haven't gotten to this one yet. I'm now even more excited to start it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really loved this one as well :) Jackal is my favorite character actually with Zeke being a close second. Jackal is the enemy but he's just so hilarious! Great review, Mel :)

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackal is great because of his snarkiness. Zeke is adorable :D

      Delete
  14. Yeah, Jackal! He was my favourite in this book by far, he was so snarky!

    I had an issue with the pacing too, it just felt a bit uneven, but otherwise a great book. Glad you enjoyed it too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. "If there is one author who knows how to write an engaging story, it’s Kagawa." - Amen to that! I think a lot of people had problems with the pacing, me included. It was a very well-written book with just the right amount of gore, but eh. Four hundred and fifty pages. The book did drag on a little bit. I still loved it, though, and I'm so glad you did, too! And I didn't know the last book was The Forever Song. What a pretty name. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! But I'm also scared what that title is going to mean for the story ;)

      Delete
  16. Would you believe that I've yet to read anything by Kagawa? I just haven't A) found the time or B) found the perfect series in which to become invested. I swear one of these days, I will. I love the sound of this one though, and I'm glad to hear you really enjoyed it! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend The immortal rules. The iron fey books are fun, but The immortal rules made me a Kagawa fan! :)

      Delete
  17. I loved this book too. Much better than the first, actually. I am a huge Kanin fangirl. HUGE.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this series! I was a little bored the first 22% but that was because my beloved Zeke had not showed yet! Then I was rather hooked. The ending! OMG That was quite something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! One of the most shocking cliffhangers I've read in a while.

      Delete
  19. I wasn't a fan of the first book in this series, so I know I won't be continuing this, but I do LOVE myself some Kanin! ;) Great review!(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enough Kanin time here :D I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it enough to continue.

      Delete
  20. I really liked any part with Jackal and disliked any part with Zeke and Allie being all gross and couple-ish. The ending made me mad too. Still fun overall, but gah. The twists were so predictable. I'm crossing my fingers for book three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Awhh, I think they are so cute :D!

      Delete
  21. So so so glad that you loved this too Mel, sorry it took you a while to get into, but I'm glad that it still left a great impression with you. I can't wait to see how things will turn out in the next book! Fab review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh God YES the pacing was horrible!! I actually found this one to be VERY disappointing, but I'm glad you were able to enjoy it more than me! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that :( for me, it really picked up. The beginning was disappointing.

      Delete
  23. Uh-oh. I'm reading this book review and I cannot remember who all of these people are. That's a sign that it's been awhile since I read The Immortal Cure. lol but I do remember them vaguely, and I completely agree about Sarren. He's majorly CREEPY! I'm sorry about the pacing. Nothing frustrates me more than a slow-moving book. But I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great review...and I agree. That ending was CRUEL. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cruel isn't enough to describe it. Heartbreaking comes close, haha.

      Delete
  25. Oooh, curious, curious. I enjoyed the first book a lot, but for some reason I've put off on reading this one. The fact that it didn't grab you until later on makes me hesitate, but I'm glad to hear that it did end up reeling you in in a big way. Hopefully I'll get to this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth it! Just bite through the beginning and before you know it: sucked into the story :)

      Delete
  26. The ending was so amazing-I was kind of predicting what was going to go down but I'm interested to see what will come in the third book to see if I'm proved right.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes, I also found the beginning of this one to be a bit slow. But when it got going, it was great! So glad you agree!! Oh, that cliffhanger nearly killed me!! haha, still so long to wait until book three... Great thoughts, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wait is always the hardest part of unfinished series :(

      Delete
  28. Wasn't Jackal absolutely to die for? I hope he gets just as much screen time in the next book - he totally made this one for me. #swoon

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gosh I really need to start this series already! And I got The Eternity Cure at BEA so it's sitting on my shelf saying staring me in the face. No excuses anymore!! I am happy to hear that you love this book - no middle book syndrome! Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.