Tuesday, June 04, 2013 12:18

Review 164. Cameron Dokey – The storyteller’s daughter.

The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of "The Arabian Nights"Title: The storyteller’s daughter.
Author: Cameron Dokey.
Pages: 240.
Published: March 6th 2007 by Simon Pulse
Sort: Part of the ‘Once upon a time’ series.
In a faraway kingdom, a king has been betrayed. Deeply hurt and bitterly angry, he vows never to be deceived again. Unfortunately, the king's plan to protect himself will endanger all of the realm's young women, unless one of them will volunteer to marry the king -- and surrender her life. To everyone's relief and horror, one young woman steps forward. The daughter of a legendary storyteller, Shahrazad believes it is her destiny to accept this risk and sacrifice herself. On the night of her wedding to the king, Shahrazad begins to weave a tale. Fascinated, the king lets her live night after night. Just when Shahrazad dares to believe that she has found a way to keep her life -- and an unexpected love -- a treacherous plot will disrupt her plan. Now she can only hope that love is strong enough to save her.

Rating:

From all the books in this series, I enjoyed the ones from Cameron Dokey the most. Her writing-style manages to capture the essence of a fairytale: a magical feeling with great characters, romance, some action and a happily-ever-after.

What I appreciated was the fact that there are stories in this story. Shahrazad is a storyteller and to save the king from his cold heart, she tells a story. After a painful betrayal, the King planned to marry a maiden once a month for only one night. He was planning to have Sharazad killed after their night, but he is captured by the story and night after night, she waves a tale. That is until a treacherous plot tries to ruin Shahrazad plan. Is she able to sees the King’s heart before it is too late and will he see hers?

One thing that bothered me were the difficult, similar names. We have Shahrazad, but also Shahrayar and his brother Sharazam. I think Dokey tried to capture the Arabian feeling, but I had a hard time to get to know them. I had to re-read sentences now and then to truly understand who was talking. Besides that, I really liked Shahrazad and Shahrayar. The king’s plan is ridiculous, but I can understand that his heart was shattered. It’s great that blind Shahrazad looks at him with other eyes and their romance has time to develop. It’s always nice when there is no insta-love, but an insta-connection which deepens when nights pass.

If you are looking for a quick and fun fairytale, this is the one you want to pick up.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

12 comments:

  1. It really gets me on edge when there are similar spelt names- I just can't wrap my head around it all. I think I'll consider it when I'm in the mood for a fairytale related novel.

    Brilliant review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to take a look at her other books first!

      Delete
  2. Those names would confuse me a lot too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Melanie. So frustrating! I love fairytales, so I'll have to add this to my GR tbr. Sounds fab! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, this is actually one fairytale novel I've read! It was a long time ago, but I remember really enjoying it - especially the stories Shahrazad told. Granted, the names were a little hard to remember, but it was quite a nice read. Glad you enjoyed it overall, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds cute! Esp if you say it's a quick and fun fairy tale read...I heart fairy tales :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review Mel :) Don't think this would be a book for me, but it does sound interesting ;p Sounds like a sweet romance. But yeah. The almost the same names sounds confusing o.O Thank you for sharing. <3 Glad you still managed to enjoy the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always find the coolest books..this is why I love this blog..this sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed most of the books in this series-fun twists on classic fairy tales but the quality is very variable. I think I agree with your assessment here of this as quick and fun but not a must-read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this series has some great retellings!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0