Saturday, June 01, 2013 11:28

Armchair BEA: Keeping it fresh + Children & YA time.

Photo Credit: Nina of Nina Reads

Today, we're interested in knowing how you address that question, especially if you've been doing this for a while. If you have been around for years, how do you keep your material fresh? How do you continue to keep blogging fun? How do you not only grow an audience, but how do you keep them coming back for more? Think about it, post about it, link to it, and read about how other bloggers are keeping it real, fresh, and fun. Maybe we can inspire each other today!

You know, I've been blogging for 16 months now and it felt never like it was a chore. I really enjoy writing down my thoughts and feelings about a book. It's even more fun if you get comments from other people. Those comments make me inspired to continue what I'm doing. I don't think I have much fresh material. I like to do two memes a week, I have my own feature and I write reviews. This works for me and I don't feel much pressure to come up with new things. I want to keep it easy and fun. If blogging starts to feel like something you HAVE to do, you are doing something wrong and you should try to find what it is.

I like to believe that my followers return because of my reviews and comment love. I always like to reply to comments I get here and whenever I have the time, I will visit their blogs. My main goal is to visit at least 25 blogs every day. My reviews are a 100% my own thoughts and feelings. I think everybody has their own voice when they write a review and clearly I'm doing something right.

As long as your posts has the real YOU in it, I think people will return to your blog.

Today's genre is a big one, Children's Literature. From picture books to middle grade to young adult novels this is a category that encompasses books that young and old alike flock to on a daily basis. 

I talked about this genre when we were tackling fiction. YA is THE genre I read all the time now. I sometimes like to pick up an adult, but there is something about YA that makes me come back for more. It doesn't matter if it's a Dystopian, Fantasy, Paranormal or fairytale retellings: I devour everything (not a huge fan of most contemporary though)
Despite the fact that I'm a bit older than most characters in YA, I find it fairly easy to connect with them. YA books aren't childish and you should never feel ashamed for reading them. There is so much more in these stories. You can find an escape in their fantasy worlds, you can befriend Dystopian characters when they are having a hard time and you can swoon because of the happily-ever-afters in fairytales. Always enjoy what you read, that's what reading is all about.

Recent books I enjoyed are:
The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)The Wide-Awake Princess (Wide-Awake Princess, #1)Poison



Bridget Zinn - Poison.
(Reviews for these three books will soon be posted!)

I completely forgot to mention MG. I grew up with books. My parents have given me many opportunities to read and I'm still happy that I got the chance to discover my likes and dislikes. They've always supported my love for reading and they helped me to start the beautiful collection I have now a days. I like to pick up a MG now and then (are most of the MG covers not gorgeous?) I really liked Lauren Oliver's Liesl and Po, to give an example. 

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

34 comments:

  1. I like replying to my comments as well, as you never know if thry will check back. And I comment back on their blog to show my thanks for visiting.

    I really liked The Eternity Cure as well!

    Lovely post, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have The Eternity Cure and must read it soon! Some really good points mentioned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "As long as your posts has the real YOU in it, I think people will return to your blog"

    That's it in a nutshell I think. It also makes it much harder to get bored or stuck in a rut if you're being yourself.

    As long as your posts has the real YOU in it, I think people will return to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said it right - if the real YOU is there, people will keep coming back.

    The Wide-Awake Princess looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree 100% with your comment that it is important to be you in one's blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent advice on keeping it real.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree about how it's important to be you in your blog! Your unique voice is what makes you stand out among everyone else.

    So glad you enjoyed The Eternity Cure and Poison! Can't wait to see you reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved The Immortal Rules but The Eternity Cure, not so much. I definitely believe blogging can feel like a chore at times but that's usually when I step away a day or two to refocus. Great advice though.

    My Post on Children's Literature

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked what you said about YA books not being childish. They certainly aren't! I wish more people would realize that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if they don't: they are missing out on some amazing books ;)

      Delete
  10. I do agree blogging can be a chore, but fortunately it's one chore I don't mind doing, LOL. There are some days where I don't feel it, but I definitely don't stress myself over it. It is what is and I do what I can. But I agree with commenting. I try so hard to comment on other blogs and I don't do it nearly as much as I'd like to!

    Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither. It's something I really enjoy.

      Delete
  11. Look forward to your reviews, especially for The Eternity Cure.
    I agree, YA isn't childish although there are always people who claim it is: http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/03/28/the-power-of-young-adult-fiction/adults-should-read-adult-books

    and usually they've pre-judged the genre, without having the broad-mindedness to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, really? I almost thought it was a joke. How can someone be so.. ignorant and arrogant? It's hilarious that this link has "room for debate" in it, since he is very sure about his pathetic opinion :p Reading is not for learning.. if I want to learn, I will read my study books 24 hours are day.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Julie Kagawa's series and adored Poison! Thanks for stopping by ABEA YA post! Following! :)

    Sabrina @iheartyafiction

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aaaw I love this post, Mel! You're amazing. It's true what you said, as long as you pour your heart and soul into your blog, and your posts, people are bound to read it, because it's the truth, and the opinions are unique. Just like your posts, in fact! The cover for Liesl and Po is SO adorable. <3 I'm loving these BEA posts. :D Thanks for sharing, Mel! <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really do love reading your blog because you always reply to the comments, which just shows your dedication and passion, and there's always a hint of Mel in everything that you post x

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment made my day! :D I'm still smiling. It's always good to hear that my "work" for my blog is appreciated.

      Delete
  16. I agree, people come back for the voice behind the reviews, and the blogger behind the blog as well. It's so important to show a little of yourself!
    And I really loved Poison as well!! Fred was such a great guy and Rosie SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, love. <3 I too love blogging :) And yesss. YA is the best thing to read, hih. <3 The Eternity Cure was amazing :) And MG! Liesl & Po was just so so so perfect. (Have read even better ones, though.) Sigh. So many amazing ones :) (The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls) Thank you for sharing sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've got to go check out armchair BEA. It just came up so fast and life is super crazy for me right now. I just haven't worked it in. Next year it will be on my calendar.

    There are so many good books out there! I think one of the reasons YA is so great is because the characters aren't stagnant - they're figuring out who they are, what they will fight for, and their future is still ahead of them. A lot of the time in adult fiction the characters have already arrived, if you know what I mean.

    I have Poison and Wide-Awake Princess and still need to read them. I'm glad you liked them. Hopefully I'll get to them soon!

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love what you said about the post having the real YOU in it, people will return. Very true! :)

    Thanks for stopping by my post!

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that you try to comment on 25 blogs a day-I've gotten so much better at commenting and it's really improved my blogging experience and made everyone seem so much less intimidating. I love your honest reviews-I really dislike blogs that only give 4 or 5 stars as I suspect they're not being totally honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commenting is a great way to get more traffic! And I'm happy that you trust my opinions :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0