Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:00

Review 158. Brodi Ashton – Everbound.

Title: Everbound.
Author: Brodi Ashton.
Pages: 358.
Published: January 22nd 2013.
Publisher: Balzer + Bray.
Sort: Part two of ‘Everneath.’
Review part 1. Everneath.
Nikki Beckett could only watch as her boyfriend, Jack, sacrificed himself to save her, taking her place in the Tunnels of the Everneath for eternity — a debt that should’ve been hers. She’s living a borrowed life, and she doesn’t know what to do with the guilt. And every night Jack appears in her dreams, lost and confused and wasting away. Desperate for answers, Nikki turns to Cole, the immortal bad boy who wants to make her his queen — and the one person least likely to help. But his heart has been touched by everything about Nikki, and he agrees to assist her in the only way he can: by taking her to the Everneath himself. Nikki and Cole descend into the Everneath, only to discover that their journey will be more difficult than they’d anticipated — and more deadly. But Nikki vows to stop at nothing to save Jack — even if it means making an incredible sacrifice of her own.
Rating:

The thing is: if I love the first book, I’m excited and scared for the second one at the same time. Most of them suffer from the second-book-is-lame-syndrome and it always spoils the excitement I felt after the first one. That is not the case with Everbound and that is prove for me that Ashton knows how to write a good, interesting story. You can read the summary if you haven’t read Everneath yet. My summary gives about the same information as the blurb.

I must admit that I had a bit of a struggle at the start (that’s the reason why this book is rated with 4/5 instead of 5/5 like Everneath). Nikki was a bit too whiny for my taste, but that changed quickly after her decision to save Jack. She is willing to do everything, so instead of complaining, she acts. I admire her for her strength and how she stood up against Cole. It’s always a relief when the MC doesn’t need anyone to save her. Nikki is quite capable of doing things on her own and she is intelligent enough to make clever choices. And when she does make a mistake (because she’s not perfect at all) they are understandable.

And Cole.. I do like him, but damn, he manages to give me mood swings. When I finally start to think he is good, he pulls another trick. The complexity and unpredictability of his character are great and he completes the story. Jack is just a sweetheart, but he doesn’t get much time to shine in this story.

The world-building was interesting. I liked the background story about the Everneath and the different trials Nikki needs to survive in order to save Jack. The queen definitely likes her privacy, because those rings around her house (in the centre) are hard! I knew the queen’s identity for a while, but I still like the story Ashton created here.

The twist at the ending was awesome. I didn’t see it coming and I was surprised how cunning Cole really is. His way to trap Nikki was crafty and I must say: well played boy! I really liked the somewhat closed ending, but it still makes me very curious and excited for Evertrue!

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

35 comments:

  1. I love that Nik is so independent. I wonder why I haven't read Everbound yet. I loved the first book a lot. Haha. Cole is a mystery. Have you read his novella? It was pretty good! Ugh, I can't wait to read it!! I wish my exams were over..... -.-

    Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't read the novella yet, but I want to! :D Good luck with your exams!

      Delete
  2. The ending, oh my god, that twist still has me reeling. I didn't see that coming at ALL. And I agree, Cole has me so confused! I love the complexity about him though. I might like him a tiny bit more than Jack now. I just want Evertrue NOW. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the ending was one of the best parts! :D

      Delete
  3. Love this book and I totally agree with you about Cole. I love him and I want other people to love him but then he pulls some crap that only reinforces his villain status. Grrr...but I still like him better than jack...sorry not sorry haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cole is more interesting than Jack, but Nikki and Jack are meant to be :D

      Delete
  4. I STILL don't know what to make of Cole. I love him and hate him at the same time. I actually loved this more than the first! I'm glad you liked it! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you. For a second book it was very good, most second books are fillers they don't really act as anything. Nikki was a very frustrating character and didn't like her very much in this book, she was really annoying. I do prefer Cole to Jack, Jack just seems pathetic. Its sounds like I hated the book, I didn't it was just the characters that annoyed me. Lovely review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the characters! :)

      Delete
  6. Haha yes! I felt the same way about Cole... I was surprised I actually liked him a lot more in this book but you know what... I was never really a Jack person (whoops!) -- I actually wasn't a huge fan of Everneath so I was really excited that I liked Everbound so much! And that ending! Definitely got me antsy for book three :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. After hearing how awesome Everneath is, I think it may be the next book I'll read (I have it, anyway). And since the second book isn't a disastrous disappointment (because most sequels usually are), I don't think I'll be scared to read it. But I totally get you on that - you're so excited about a book, because you loved the first one, and then you read it and want to weep (at least I want to, most of the time).

    Now I'm curious about Cole because he seems evil and cunning. And, obviously, lovable, too :D But I'm more interested in Nikki. I like a brave, smart heroine and she seems to be just that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when that happens. It definitely makes me want to cry.

      Delete
  8. MEL. So glad you enjoyed this! Honestly, I'm so excited for Everbound I don't know why I haven't gotten it yet. I'm a little anxious about the beginning, but I don't think that will be a problem much. Glad Nikki gets some sense knocked into her, though! And that little slip about the ending and Cole and his cunningness makes me die a little. Something bad happened, didn't it? *sobs* I need more Jack and Nikki, now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muhahahaha! Better start reading if you want to find out ;)

      Delete
  9. Haha Oh I remember the mood swings that Cole gave me in book 1 I did NOT like that guy!! I'm glad that Nikki doesn't stay whiny too bc that would have been a big turn of for me I can't stand those types of characters. I did enjoy book 1 and I heard this one was a great sequel I really HAVE to get to it soon before I forget the whole story lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hearing that Nikki is an independent action-taker! So many YA heroine's these days sit back and let things happen to them, so Nikki sounds so refreshing :) Here's hoping I can get over her initial whininess as quickly as you did!

    And a sneaky Cole tricks Nikki in the end?! Can't wait to find out what he did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very exciting ;) I think you're going to be surprised! I know I was.

      Delete
  11. Mood swings... hehe. That's one way to put the fustration Cole put me in. But I don't recall the MC to be whiny for me, oh well. It was some time ago anyway, can't remember now.

    Awesome review, Mel! <33 Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. EEE I have the same problem with middle-book-syndromes, they make me overly-cautious about reading sequels!! I've read Divergent years ago but never mustered the courage to get into Insurgent so.... Anyway! Heard great things about Everneath, just never got the time, but you've definitely made me curious about this Cole character ;)

    Alicia @ Summer Next Top Story

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started to read Everneath a long time ago but really didn't care for it. I've seen so many great reviews I really want to try reading it again. Especially when you liked the sequel :) I really want to find out more about Cole, because I found his character fascinating in the first book-what I read of it. Great review!

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it will be better the second time! :)

      Delete
  14. Yeah, I am always nervous going into the second book in a series for that reason, because I am usually disappointed with it. So that's why it is sooo nice to hear from you that that was not the case with this sequel! I am really curious of that ending twist that you mention now... but I still need to read the first book! I'm much more encouraged to read it now that I know you liked this one, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hated that ending! I can see how it is necessary to set up the third book but it doesn't align with what I wanted to happen :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that is a shame, but you never know where the story is going to!

      Delete
  16. I so need to read this one! I liked Everneath, but I have a feeling Everbound is just so much better. And yay for endings with twists :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everbound sounds great! I have to admit that I have been procrastinating for awhile to start reading this one, but your review makes me want to start reading it now! I do like Cole more because, like you said, he is unpredictable.
    I may just give this one a chance, since I enjoyed the first one as well.

    Rachel @ Books to Consider

    ReplyDelete
  18. I DID NOT SEE THAT ENDING COMING EITHER! I gaped at the last page like WHATTTTT? I canot wait for Evertrue. I actually found myself liking Everbound much more than Everneath but I read Everbound and listened to Everneath and I'm wondering if maybe that influenced me (cause i'm talking 2 star difference). Anyway, I am glad you enjoyed this one :) :)

    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 stars, that is a lot! Me too, I started at the pages in shock! Awesomeness :D

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0