Wednesday, April 17, 2013 00:29

WoW 36. Fairytales and Parasites.

 Hosted by: Breaking the spine.

I've been so busy! I had a birthday party and on top of that, I'm busy with a presentation and I have an exam coming up on Friday. BUT, it's also my birthday today! I'm starting to feel old, haha. I can't believe how time flies, because I still feel like I'm 16 years.. Wake up Mel, 22 already. I used to love birthdays, but I don't have that feeling anymore.

I don't think I'll be getting any presents today; I'm going to celebrate it together with my sister in a party for family (May 4th) and a separate one for friends :) Luckily for me, my sister and me are both free from school today. We are going to have a High Tea together, I can't wait! I hope I get a little bit of happy-birthday-feeling.

I'm going to share some interesting book titles I've found a while ago.

On the brutal streets of Hellip, a village in the vast empire of the cruel King Ibis, you either become good at running from the king’s Blackcoats or you die. This is the lesson that twelve-year-old Tucker Scrap, abandoned as an infant among the orphans of Hellip, learned early. Along with her friends Ash and Kally, Tucker spends her time keeping one step ahead of the unjust laws, stealing what she needs to survive, and pondering her own unknown origins—and those of the enchanted bracelet with which she was found. The introduction to a fantasy world rich with ancient magic, enigmatic gypsies, palace labyrinths, and deep woods haunted by strange and forbidding creatures.

Sold for Endless Rue
Madeleine E. Robins - Sold for Endless Rue.
This captivating historical answers the question, "Why did Rapunzel's mother lock her in the tower?"  After a blighted childhood, young Laura finds peace and purpose in the home of a midwife and healer. Later, she enrolls in Salerno's famed medical school—the first in the world to admit women. Laura and her adoptive mother hope that Laura can build a bridge between women's herbal healing and the new science of medicine developing in thirteenth century Italy.

The Captive MaidenMelanie Dickerson - The captive maiden.
Happily Ever After ...Or Happily Nevermore? Gisela's childhood was filled with laughter and visits from nobles such as the duke and his young son. But since her father's death, each day has been filled with nothing but servitude to her stepmother. So when Gisela learns the duke's son, Valten---the boy she has daydreamed about for years---is throwing a ball in hopes of finding a wife, she vows to find a way to attend, even if it's only for a taste of a life she'll never have. To her surprise, she catches Valten's eye. Though he is rough around the edges, Gisela finds Valten has completely captured her heart. But other forces are bent on keeping the two from falling further in love, putting Gisela in more danger than she ever imagined.
I really liked 'The fairest beauty', so I'm very excited!

Mira Grant - Parasite.
Parasite (Parasitology, #1)
A decade in the future, humanity thrives in the absence of sickness and disease.We owe our good health to a humble parasite - a genetically engineered tapeworm developed by the pioneering SymboGen Corporation. When implanted, the tapeworm protects us from illness, boosts our immune system - even secretes designer drugs. It's been successful beyond the scientists' wildest dreams. Now, years on, almost every human being has a SymboGen tapeworm living within them. But these parasites are getting restless. They want their own lives... and will do anything to get them

I still haven't read Feed, but I love the sound of this! I need to pick a specialization for next year and I'm currently thinking about microbiology. This book fits my interests perfectly! 

That's it for this week. Leave a link to your picks :)



author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

82 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR! <333 I hope you have an amazing day and some even more amazing parties! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy B-day! I never enjoyed my birthday but mainly because I was born on December 23rd, and I never get the chance to celebrate it properly :(
    Hope you have fun with your family & friends

    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming



    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!! All of your WoW's sound really good, especially Scrap! I hope you have a fantastic day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day, dearie <33 Are you gonna be buying yourself some books to celebrate? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! But I'm going to wait until May 4th, because I don't want to buy anything double :D.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday, Mel! :)

    I really enjoyed the Feed books, and Parasite sounds good too. Great pick! And microbiology? wow~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy, happy birthday, Mel! :D Hope you have a great one this year, and yes, get some books for yourself to celebrate, though I'm sure your friends and family will get plenty for you, haha.

    Anyway, I'm totally looking forward to Parasite. I haven't read any of Mira Grant's books either, but you can't deny that they sound AWESOME. Whoa - microbiology. Never heard of it... what's it about? Great picks, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I'm going to wait until I receive all the presents and then I'm going to buy myself some more books, haha.

      Uhm, the easiest way to explain is: I want to do Medical Microbiology. I'm going to work in a hospital and I'm going to exam, for example, blood to see if there are any micro-organisms :) If so, I can tell the doctor which treatment the patient needs. And you can specialize in virusses, bacteria, parasites etc.

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday! These books look lovely, and I hope you enjoy them (hopefully someone will give them to you as presents!). And go you!! Microbiology seems tough, but if you love it :)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome!

      Well, every specialization has it's easy and tough points :) But it's hard to pick one, since I like 3 of them!

      Delete
  8. awww HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you enjoy your time with your sister!! :D And those are some great picks! Hope you get your hands on them!
    - Farah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! It was great and we ate a lot of jummy things :D

      Delete
  9. I've read a couple of Mira Grant's books and kinda enjoyed them. This one looks interesting - will have to keep an eye out for it. Oh, and Happy Birthday!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited to read Parasite! Happy Bday fellow Aries! My 37th was on April 8th. I hope ur day is great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a wondrous b'day! And I hope you do get presents, after all presents maketh the day! Now to the books . . . I'll leave the tape worms to you. Yuk, no thanks. But I do like the sound of Scrap. Fantasy - my deal. Take care
    Gwynn
    http://gwynnethwhite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did get some presents after all :D

      Delete
  12. Happy Birthday! Rock that 22 into the ground!

    All of these books sound awesome!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you have a GREAT day!!

    Nice WoWs too! They're all new to me but they look exciting!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAPPY BIRTHDAY :D I hope you have the most awesome day. <3 Sigh. Have fun :)
    Awesome books as wow pick as well :) Haven't heard of any of them, hih, but they look pretty awesome ;p <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy happy birthday! May all your wishes come true! :)
    Lovely picks, Scrap looks pretty good. Hope you get the books soon! And good luck with the exam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to try to make them come true :D

      Delete
  16. Happy birthday Mel!!! <3 I'm turning 22 in September, so I get what you mean. I still feel like a 16 year old, so I'm definitely not excited about these increasing numbers. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally, someone who understands! They all think I'm crazy here, haha.

      Delete
  17. Happy Birthday, Mel! I'm going to turn 21 in September and I know what you mean. Hope you have an amazing day. <3 Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, another one who understands me :D

      Delete
  18. Happy birthday, Mel! I'm 32 and I still feel like I'm in my twenties most days so I hear you. You are only as old as you feel.

    I definitely want to read Parasite and I will be hunting for it at BEA with Giselle, I am sure. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is true.

      Ohhh, BEA! Lucky you :D

      Delete
  19. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEL! I hope you've had the best day and have an awesome party/parties! Did you go ahead with the bookish cake and if so give me the details! (:

    (In bookish news- Parasite sounds quite interesting, but I don't quite know if it's for me. Hope to see a review of it sometime soon!x.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to make some bookish cupcakes on May 4th, so I can show it to the family :D My sister is going to help. If I remember, I will share some photos with you!

      Delete
  20. Happy Birthday! I hope you have an amazing day : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy birthday-hope it was a great day! I want to read the first three but am unsure about Parasite, which doesn't look quite like a "me" read.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday, Mel! I'll be 21 at the end of August and as you, I still feel like I'm 16 or something. It's just so surreal that I'm so old already lol. I hope you have better luck with weather than we have here in Estonia so you can enjoy your day to the fullest and yup, I hope you have a great one!! :) Congrats, girl! Mwah :**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We had some lovely weather here. The sun was showing and the temperature was pretty warm :D No spring weather, but it was one of the best days we've had so far!

      Delete
  23. Great picks and happy birthday! Hope you get to read it soon!
    Brandi at Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  24. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! I hope you have the most wonderful day!

    Thank you for introducing me to books I hadn't heard of before! :)

    My W.O.W.

    ReplyDelete
  25. HAPPY BIRTHDAY :D

    I have never heard of Scrap actually, but it sounds pretty interesting. I await your review for it :) If its a good one I will have to check it out!

    My WOW

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can read the eARC without requesting it on Netgalley! :)

      And Thanks :D

      Delete
  26. Happy Birthday!!

    Scrap and Parasite look so good, I'm adding them to my reading list. Great choices!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really good picks! Thanks for the recommendations and Happy Birthday!
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Birthday! I hope you have an amazing day. Also, The Captive Maiden looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MEL!!! I hope it's a fabulous one :)
    Time flies, doesn't it? After 21 birthdays aren't exciting anymore, cuz you're just like HOLY CRAP another year has passed already?! I'm almost 25 and I feel like just yesterday I turned 21 >.<

    Parasite looks fabulous, and I've been really wanting to read Feed too. *sigh* So many books, so little time!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Birthday, Mel! Hope you feel the buzz soon <3 :)
    Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, happy birthday! I hope you've gotten into a birthday mood by now. And enjoy your parties!

    As for the books, Parasite sounds good. I've heard Mira Grant's books are good and I have the first two of her Newsflesh trilogy. And The Captive Maiden sounds interesting, too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love a good fantasy, and some of these sound really promising. Great picks!

    If you'd like, you can check out my WoW here.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice picks! I recently got Scrap and can't wait to start reading it :)

    old follower

    http://itchingforbooks.blogspot.com/2013/04/waiting-on-wednesday-43.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy birthday Mel! :D<3
    I know what you mean, I'm going to cry this year on my birthday when I realize that I'll be 19. 19. THAT'S OLD!! Not to mention that I'll be sharing my birthday with the turkeys. Did I mention that I HATE turkeys?
    Anyways, have a nice one! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, exactly!
      Sharing it with turkeys? That does sound.. special :p

      Delete
  35. Happy Birthday! I'm really interested in Sold for Endless Rue and The Captive Maiden. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy birthday! I hope you have a totally awesome day. These books look awesome. I'm definitely interested in The Captive Maidan and Sold for Endless Rue. Pretty covers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy Birthday and good luck on your exams! I used to love birthdays too, but once I hit 21 they stopped being so exciting. At least my 22nd wasn't. We'll see.

    Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Happiest of Birthdays!! I know you weren't feeling very happy birthday-ish earlier, but I hope all of this birthday love has put a smile on your face :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I got approved for Scrap and I can't wait to read it!

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  40. Lots of great picks, but I'm especially excited for Scrap and Soul for Endless Rue!! Happy Birthday, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy belated Birthday deary!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh, bummer! I missed it but happy belated birthday! Sounds like it turned out to be a good one ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0