Sunday, April 28, 2013 02:03

Review 153. Jessica Day George – Sun & Moon, Ice & Snow.

Sun and Moon, Ice and SnowTitle: Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow.
Author: Jessica Day George.
Pages: 336.
Published: January 8th 2008.
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's.
Sort: Stand-alone.
Other books:
-Princess 1: Princess of the midnight ball.
-Princess 2: Princess of Glass.
Blessed—or cursed—with an ability to understand animals, the Lass (as she’s known to her family) has always been an oddball. And when an isbjorn (polar bear) seeks her out, and promises that her family will become rich if only the Lass will accompany him to his castle, she doesn’t hesitate. But the bear is not what he seems, nor is his castle, which is made of ice and inhabited by a silent staff of servants. Only a gruelling journey on the backs of the four winds will reveal the truth: the bear is really a prince who’s been enchanted by a troll queen, and the Lass must come up with a way to free him before he’s forced to marry a troll princess.
Rating:

Finally! I’m starting to find the good retellings again. I loved her other series, so I was excited to give this one a try. I’ve never read anything about this fairytale before and I liked it. I'm definitely going to hunt down some more retellings and I hope to read the original story soon.


The lass, also called ‘Pika’, never got a name. Her mother was mad that she gave birth to yet another daughter, because she can’t help to provide more money. When she saves a special reindeer, she is gifted with a name and the ability to understand animals. An enchanted isbjorn (polar bear) seeks her out and he offers her a deal: if she stays a whole year with him in his castle, he will make sure that her family will become rich. The lass accepts, but she isn’t planning to take everything for granted. She wants to find out more and that is how she starts to unravel his secret. When she accidently betrays him, her isbjorn is swept away to the troll princess whom he is forced to marry now. The lass decides to save him, but that isn’t going to be easy.

The magical, enchanting feeling was the first thing that made me fall in love. Jessica has a great writing-style for this genre. The way she describes the setting is flawless.

The lass grew up without a name, which is dangerous in a place where trolls come out to steal your kids. Her father is a loving man, the same for her brother Hans Peter. I didn’t like her mother; she is greedy and unsatisfied with everything. The lass has a great bond with her brother and I loved her loyalty towards him. While she is trying to save her isbjorn, she is also trying to make Hans happy again. What I liked the most about her are her flaws. She makes some understandable, stupid mistakes. It is in the human nature to be curious, but it was great that she is determined to make her mistakes right. The romance gets just enough time to be no insta-love.

This book is the example of a story where everything feels right and Jessica proves again that she knows how to write.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

40 comments:

  1. Ohh this one sounds interesting! I've been meaning to get to Jessica Day George's Princess series for a long while now but somehow haven't managed it yet :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good read! I haven't read any of Jessica's books yet but this book seems so magical.

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by Jessica Day yet but this sounds right up my alley! The magical and enchanting feel you described is just what I look for in fairytales :D Awesome review, thanks for sharing!!

    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I want an isbjorn! Reminds be of His Dark Materials. Anyways, I've never heard of this one before, but it does sound pretty great. So nice to hear you are finally enjoying your fairy tale retellings again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm happy that I've found some good ones lately.

      Delete
  5. This is on my list to read just haven't got a chance to read it yet ! Happy Reading All!

    Joelle from:http://angelswithattitudebookreviews-joelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're going to give it a shot soon.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you're having some great luck with fairytale retellings Mel. I know when I'm in the mood for something magical and enchanting to give Sun and Moon & Ice and Snow a try! Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this book is perfect for such a mood!

      Delete
  7. I'm kind of intrigued by this one. I like it when characters are realistic; otherwise the book makes no sense. And if the romance actually takes time to develop, all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really cool-I'm not familiar with the original fairy tale but I'll want to check that out too so that I can compare them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds great. I've wanted to read her princess series for a while, but I love the sound of this. The storyline and the writing both seem amazing! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh! This series sounds interestinly intriguing. I'm so glad you liked this bevuase I'm considering to add this on my never ending TBR! Fantastic review, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE fairytale retellings, so I know how hard it is to find a really good one. I'm so happy that you found this! The original fairytale sounds super interesting, and I can't tell you how relieved I am that there isn't any instalove! Phew. ;) Lovely review, Mel! <3 x Missed you and can't wait to comment on and read more of your fabulous posts, girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very refreshing to have a developed romance :) I can't wait to see your comments in my mail :D

      Delete
  12. YAY! I am so glad you liked this. It's my favorite Jessica Day George book, and one of my favorite retellings. And, yes, the setting and magical feel of this one is spot on. I wish I could read this one for the first time again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Troll princesses and isbjorns? This sounds great, so it's good to hear that you enjoyed it! The main character's really mysterious, which makes me want to pick up the book to find out more about her. I haven't read too many books of which the MC's name isn't revealed, so it piques my interest even more. Great review, Mel! Hope I'll be able to check out this book in my spare time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what is the best thing? You get her name in the end. I don't like it when some things stay mysterious :p

      Delete
  14. Ooh, that sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No insta-love, that's a plus! I haven't heard of this one before, but the summary sounds very intriguing. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think flaws really help build a character sometimes. It's great to hear that there is no insta-love, too! You know how I feel about that. ;) Fantastic review as always, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have heard this one is really good, need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never heard of the original fairy tale, but the book sounds really good. I love the Snow Queen, so I love winter-themed fairy tales :)

    You can find me here: Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, amazing review. <3 never heard of this book before, but I do love a good fairytale :) So glad you liked the maincharacter, and the romance :D Sounds like an awesome book :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't usually read this type of book but it definitely sounds interesting. And I like the sounds of her relationship with her brother. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love her take on "The Twelve Dancing Princesses"

    ReplyDelete
  22. sounds interesting - I hadn't heard of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never read this author, but it looks really good! I love retellings....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Will give this one a shot, thanks for the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. YAY! I've been wanting to read this one for awhile so I checked it out from the library for my upcoming vacation. Can't wait to dive in. I love JDG. Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0