Wednesday, April 10, 2013 22:34

Review 148. Maureen McGowan – Cinderella.

Cinderella: Ninja Warrior (Twisted Tales, #1)Title: Cinderella: Ninja warrior.
Author: Maureen McGowan.
Pages: 309.
Published: April 1st 2011.
Publisher: Silver Dolphin Books.
Sort: Part one of ‘Twisted tales’
In this fast-paced story full of adventure and romance, Cinderella is more than just a servant girl waiting for her prince—she's a tough, fearless girl who is capable of taking charge of a dangerous situation. Seeking to escape the clutches of her evil stepmother, Cinderella perfects her ninja skills and magic talents in secret, waiting for the day when she can break free and live happily ever after. In a special twist, readers have the opportunity to make key decisions for Cinderella and decide where she goes next—but no matter the choice; the result is a story unlike any fairy tale you've ever read
Rating:
2 stars
You can see that I have some bad luck with fairytales lately, but this one was definitely not THAT bad. The low rating is based on the fact that there were too many unbelievable lucky situations and I didn’t connect with the characters.

Cinderella lives with the witch and her two daughters, Agatha & Gwendolyn, after the death of her father. She has one friend: a cat called Max. She is trapped in her house, forced to do all the chores without any appreciation for her hard work. Cinderella did inherited some magic from her deceased mother and she is practicing it every day – together with her Ninja skills. I wished these skills were better explored, but they didn’t add anything to the story in my opinion.

One day, Ty (a royal messenger) invites them all for the special ball. The prince is going to pick one lucky girl to marry him. It is from the beginning very clear who Ty is and I didn’t get the chemistry between Ty and Cinderella. Most scenes were actually cringe worthy and the dialogues were hilarious. Ty is instantly flirting with Cinderella and he practically falls in love with her from the moment he sees her. Yeah, very believable. If it only was that easy huh ;)

It is very easy to predict how this story is going to end, so I will skip that. One thing I liked about this book was the fact you got to pick your own path. There are 8 routes you can take and it was fun to decided Cinderella’s choices. I appreciated the original approach and the way the author created different storylines.

While my rating of 2.5 looks bad, it wasn’t such a horrible book. It’s based on several little things I disliked and it wouldn’t be honest to other books to give it more flowers.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

33 comments:

  1. I like how you can choose which path you want to take Cinderella on, I don't think I've come across that in a novel before. But I think the unbelievable scenarios and not being able to connect with a character would frustrate me. Great review Mel, I hope your next read is a lot more enjoyable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently reading Towering and it is very good so far :)

      Delete
  2. I think I've heard of this book! Well, I probably did when it first came out, but I recognized the name. I agree with your first line there... your fairy tale books aren't going too well. And oh, the insta-love... shame. That's too bad that this wasn't as good as it could have been. It sounded interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a shame, but I have faith that I will find some good fairy tale books soon!

      Delete
  3. I guess the story of Cinderella's romance will always be a bit unbelievable being that it's an insta-love fairytale. Sorry this didn't work out for you Mel. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but there is a difference. Sometimes I feel like the insta-love is.. believable. It was just plain sad here.

      Delete
  4. It's a shame the chemistry wasn't there between Ty and Cinderella. I'm not a fan of insta-love, not even in fairytales. Still, I suppose this was never a book for me in the first place. Great honest review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really mind it in most fairytales, but it didn't work here :)

      Delete
  5. Oh boo I hate when stories just seem way too convenient and easy, it drives me bonkers. I am a huge fan of fairytale retellings but I can tell that this one just isn't for me. Though I have to say I am pretty curious about these ninja skills you mention, Cinderella with Ninja Skills... but if even that isn't well developed I'll be staying away. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was such a shame. I really liked the idea of fairytales with ninja skills.

      Delete
  6. I hate when stories are too predictable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's sad to hear that this didn't work out. I love the 'choose your own path' idea, though. Great review!

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry this wasn't all you wanted. I haven't had luck with many fairy tales, so will prb pass this one by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you really like these fairy tale-ish stories;-) Gahhh.. I'm so tired of insta-love. At first I loved NA genre and I still do, but more often than not it seems to have insta-love in it and it's everywhere else as well - YA, adult, too. Gwendolyn - that's a hard name to read if it pops up often lol. I see the appeal, but I think retellings have to be original on their own and well written foremost and this one doesn't really seem like IT for me. Luckily it wasn't a complete waist of your time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do :D I haven't read anything from NA and I don't think it is my thing.

      Delete
  10. I think it's cool that you can choose different paths, but this definitely sounds like something I'd probably skip. I do love fairy tale updates, but there are so many of them. I feel like it has to be really well done for me to give it a try. I'm glad you found enough redeemable aspects so that you didn't waste your time, but since you didn't love it, I'll probably skip it. Thanks for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the choose your adventure, because it reminded me of when I was younger.

      Delete
  11. I haven't had much luck with fairy tale retellings either, unless they really make the plot their own and lose the predictability...Like Cinder, which even leaps out the fairy tale genre and into sci-fi
    Cringe worthy dialogue would drive me nuts :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't read usually fairytale retellings unless the synopsis REALLY got my attention. There are some which hit a jackpot for me (like the Lunar Chronicles... I'm sure you agree! haha) but they only come once in a blue moon. And I'm fed up with insta-love situations and formulaic plot so I think I'm going to pass. I liked your honest review! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I agree! Cinder and Scarlet are amazing.

      Delete
  13. Aww shame you didn't really like this one. I think I'll steer clear of this even though I adore fairytale retellings :/ Thanks for the honest review Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish there had been more options for the story to take-no matter what you did, both would lead to the same thing, which isn't as much fun as some CYOA books I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man, I still remember your last fairy tale read! I'm sorry this wasn't that much fun for you either. Two and 3 star reviews are SO hard to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, especially since 3 stars doesn't mean it's bad. It's just good.

      Delete
  16. I'm not sure about this read. I haven't read a fairy tale in a long while now. And I should def. read more books in the fairy tale genre, but I'm probably not going to pick this one up. I do love that you get to choose your own path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out my label 'fairy tales'. You might find one that is worth your time!

      Delete
  17. Sorry it didn't quite make the grade, but that title is kind of awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like an awesome plot, but I abhor lucky situations. It can really break a book for me for all the good sides to a book. I'm sorry that this didn't quite meet the grade. Great review!

    Kris @Imaginary Reads

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, I'm glad you didn't think this one was terrible... though it's never a good thing when the romantic chemistry in a book is described as cringe-worthy!! Aw, it's too bad you haven't been having good luck with your fairy tales - I hope you find one you really love soon, Mel! And great job on the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0