Friday, April 05, 2013 17:55

Review 146. John Green – The fault in our stars.

The Fault in Our StarsTitle: The fault in our stars.
Author: John Green.
Pages: 368.
Published: January 10th 2012
Publisher: Dutton Books
Sort: Stand-alone.

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.
Rating

I knew what I was going to read, but I never ever thought it would touch me so much as it did. This book gave me all these different feelings. I laughed because of Augustus’ and Hazel’s funny humor  I felt hopeful because of their strength and I ugly cried because everything is so unfair. I’m still not over the beauty of this book. The powerful characters, the dazzling writing-style and the storyline did something to me. Something I can’t express in words and I know that I can’t do any justice to this book. But I will try.

The first thing that surprised me is Hazel. She was diagnosed with cancer when she was 13 and it’s a miracle that she is living today as a strong and admirable girl of sixteen years. Her no-nonsense and blunt way of thinking grabbed me and I instantly liked her. She is trying to make the best out of her situation, but I also liked her vulnerable side. It made her so real and honest. I appreciated her moments of a ‘normal’ teenager. She is rebellious against her parents and she feels smothered by their constant worrying. The way Green portrayed her family was fantastic. Her parents are so caring and protective, but they are still trying to give her a normal life.

Her mother forces her to go to the cancer support group, but Hazel finds it a waste of time until she meets the love of her life; Augustus Waters. I don’t think I can describe their connection and love better than Hazel: “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” 

They share something special and it blew me away. Hazel and Augustus were made for each other. These two characters are an adorable couple and they make you believe in true love. They complete each other and I liked the way their feelings grew. The flirty dialogues are slowly transforming to a love everybody is looking for. I completely started to fall in love with Augustus together with Hazel. He is charming, humorous and sweet. 

They share many beautiful moments, so it was hard to see how quickly things changed. Every page I devoured made my heart ache. I wasn’t ready for it and I felt shattered when it happened. I think this is what I looked like halfway:

SO MANY FEELINGS

It has been a long time since a book made me feel so many things and I finally understand why everybody is praising John Green. His words are poetic and they flow across the pages. Like I said on my Goodreads status: “You want to keep reading as fast as possible to see how it's going to end. But you also want to let it sink slowly, so you can enjoy his beautiful prose."

I honestly wanted to quote every page, but I managed to make a selection of two:
“You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.”
&
“And then the line was quite but not dead. I almost felt like he was there in my room with me, but in a way it was better, like I was not in my room and he was not in his, but instead we were together in some invisible and tenuous third space that could only be visited on the phone.”
I recommend this book to everyone. I’m not such a fan of most contemporary books, but this book opened my eyes. Just.. read it.
Mel4
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

54 comments:

  1. "I honestly wanted to quote every page"

    ^ Exactly how I felt. He has such a beautiful writing style. And even though this received a lot of praise I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Wonderful review, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, hyped books are the most disappointing ones. Sometimes, you find a new favorite one - and that is the case now :D

      Delete
  2. Yessss. I'm so, so, so happy that you loved this book as well. <3 It is simply perfect. Sigh. I want to re-read it again. <3 Hazel is just amazing :) And Augustus is perfect. But yeah. So many feelings. And heartbreak. Yet it was all perfect. Your review is amazing. Thank you for sharing :D (Thing is, I read another John Green book; Looking for Alaska, and I hated it :p it was nothing like this perfect book, didn't even think the writing was the same at all :p but it might be different for other people who read it :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already want to re-read it, just to disappear between his beautiful prose <3 His other books doesn't sound as appealing to me, but I might try one some day.

      Delete
  3. Have not read this book, but really want to. Heard great things about it:) Like your review:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was liking the book but then I got totally bored with what was going on with this writer who doesn't reply to anyone but replied to them.

    I think Green was trying very hard to play my emotions and make me feel sorry for the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a bit strange, I agree :) But the other characters totally made up for it, in my eyes.

      Delete
  5. I agree with everything that you said! I loved this book to bits and i'm glad that you feel the same way :)

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great review Mel. It really makes me want to read this book. I've been keeping it off, cause I thought it would be to emotional.. but now I am actually looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was scared of that too, but it's so worth it.

      Delete
  7. I got this book as a paperback last week and I'm so excited to dive into this. I am more than sure that my ugly cry will be at least half as bad as yours lol. Augustus and Hazel - through different reviews I already feel like I'm in love with them so I hope I'll adore this book as much as everyone else. Lovely review, Mel :)

    Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still haven't read this yet - I've read a couple of other John Green books and enjoyed them, and I know this one comes highly recommended by so many people, so I should probably just dive in and read it - tears pr not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read his other books. Which one do you recommend to read first? :)

      Delete
  9. I have read nothing but good reviews of this book! I need to check it out finally!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review. I totally agree with you, especially about Green's poetic writing and how you wanted to read it fast and slow. If heard they've started casting to make it into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, that is interesting! I'm going to check google to find out more about the movie.

      Delete
  11. Yes! I could seriously pick 5 quotes on every page I swear. So many awesome instances of humor and love. I'm glad you were touched as much as I was with this story. :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, I loved this book so much. I can't wait to see the movie!

    You can find me here: Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  13. AHHHH, SO STOKED THAT YOU ENJOYED THIS, MEL! *takes deep breath* Unfortunately I STILL haven't read it yet, despite the countless great reviews it has been receiving. Hazel and Augustus do sound like the perfect couple, and I'm excited that they "share many beautiful moments!" The movie's in production too, so I intend to read this before the film's released. :)

    Brilliant review, Mel! You've got me even more determined to get my hands on this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not happy with the casting. There are rumors about Logan Lerman as Augustus?? PLEASE don't do that to me. I don't like him and that would totally spoil my book Augustus. :(

      But, I hope you are going to read it soon Megan! I can't wait to hear what you think about it.

      Delete
  14. Ah Mel this is a brilliant review *stands on island alone as the last person on earth who hasn't read a Green book* I really need to try this one, your review has me so curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was alone on that island too, but I can say I'm happy I swam to civilization :D Come join us soon ;)

      Delete
  15. Aaahh, FANTASTIC review, Mel!! I actually haven't read this one yet (for shame!) but I am so happy to hear that this one gave you ALL THE FEELS. Gah, I'll have to read this one soon hopefully and I'll have to prepare myself for the read of a lifetime!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, it definitely was one of THOSE books. The ones that touch you and change you a bit :)

      Delete
  16. I haven't read this yet either but I read a few pages before I bought it and was like, "I HAVE TO OWN THIS." Definitely excited, I love books that rip you up emotionally. Convincing review! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand you had that feeling! I got a library copy, but I'm definitely going to buy it <3

      Delete
  17. I want to read this book so bad but I know it's going to hurt so much :( I just need to gather the courage and buy it because it sounds so beautiful and amazing.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hurts.. but it's a beautiful way to feel hurt, if that makes sense :p

      Delete
  18. I'm so glad you liked this one, Mel! I read this when it came out early last year, and I was really impressed with Green's emotional depth, at the time. I think he's done a pretty good job in writing teenage characters that all ages can enjoy and empathize with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It really felt like the story of two teenagers.

      Delete
  19. I definitely want to get a copy of this book asap. I've heard so many amazing things about it, and I really want to give it a try now. I'm just worried that I'll cry a lot :( The quotes are great, though. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fab review Mel- I loved this book, so emotional. And I liked the quotes you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a beautiful review, Mel! And now... I'm conflicted again! ;) I honestly have no idea which John Green book to start with, though it looks like this one has touched quite a few people. I tend to avoid books about cancer, but this one sounds like it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is Sam. It's definitely worth it. I totally recommend this book to you :)

      Delete
  22. Great review! It's one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read. I still think about it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't even picked this one up, because I didn't want to ugly cry! It sounds fabulous, but I think I'll have to hold off until it's summer and I'm finally getting some vitamin d and my emotions in check. Glad you loved it and discovered the awesomeness of John Green :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I seriously need to read this! I've been wanting to, but hyped up books scare me, and honestly the fact that it's probably going to rip my soul out scares me too, baha :p
    But I'm dying to know what all the fuss is about and I've been wanting to try something by John Green, I've heard such great things about his books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this book is worth all the attention! :)

      Delete
  25. WH-HEY! You've read it! I was so excited when I saw this review and I'm absolutely THRILLED TO BITS that you loved it so much. One of the things I really liked was Hazel's family, because they were awesome and I agree that parents are so often just not awesome and having that is so wonderful. It made the book so much more. I can't get over how beautiful John Green's writing is, either, and basically wanted to quote the entire book, it's so beautiful. I love that you chose quotes to post that aren't the more regular ones, these are especially beautiful. Incredibly beautiful and fantastic review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I decided that I wanted two different quotes. I'm happy you liked my picks :)!

      Delete
  26. I'm glad you like it as I ADORE this book :0 So good!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Literally everyone I know (that reads) has been recommending this book to me! I was always like, I'll pick this up soon. And they keep pestering me about it. But I must admit, I'm just afraid for the mental/emotional shitstorm that's gonna hit me. Cuz this book made them all sob/cry uncontrollably. (I'm not really for that lol)

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not into sad books either, but this one is SO beautiful! You're really missing out :)

      Delete
  28. Yay! I'm so glad you loved this one just like I did. I'm not a big contemporary reader either, but these characters are brilliant and the prose is just amazing. So many quotable passages.... It's really a book that will stay with me forever. :) Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm a little speechless after your review, because it reminded me of how I completely and utterly LOVED this book, and how beautiful it was in every single way. But I am so, so happy you loved it, Mel!!! Especially because you're not a big contemp fan ;) And “I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” is my favorite quote, with the ones you mentioned at the bottom following closely after :) This book. I can't even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's.. impossible to explain this book. There are no words to describe it's beauty.

      Delete
  30. Another amazing book by John Green. I never really had a favorite author before but after reading Looking For Alaska, tbh he'll always be on top of the list. and when this book came out on 10th Jan this year (Flipkart, i wish we could pre-order it)i H A D T O read it. even though i really liked the book, but i think Looking For Alaska was 10% better, but nonetheless, it's a good book you can't miss it!

    regards,
    grace of Hunting Knives

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0