Review 143. Dan Wells – Partials.

Partials (Partials, #1)Title: Partials.
Author: Dan Wells.
Pages: 468.
Published: February 28th 2012.
Publisher: Balzer + Bray.
Sort: Part one of ‘Partials Sequence
The human race is all but extinct after a war with Partials--engineered organic beings identical to humans--has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by RM, a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island while the Partials have mysteriously retreated. The threat of the Partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to RM in more than a decade. Our time is running out. Kira, a sixteen-year-old medic-in-training, is on the front lines of this battle, seeing RM ravage the community while mandatory pregnancy laws have pushed what's left of humanity to the brink of civil war, and she's not content to stand by and watch. But as she makes a desperate decision to save the last of her race, she will find that the survival of humans and Partials alike rests in her attempts to uncover the connections between them--connections that humanity has forgotten, or perhaps never even knew were there.
Rating:

Finally a dystopian book with a good world-building. We get a lot of background story without an information dump. The world slowly unravels in the book and I liked how believable it was. The human race is dying after the war against the Partials and the release of the RM virus. Only a part of the human race was immune and they are together on Long Island where they live with the constant treat of attack from Partials or the resistance group called The Voice.


Kira is a young medic-in-training. The mandatory pregnancy law must help to rebuild their world, but there hasn’t been an immune baby for years. Kira takes a dangerous step when she finds out that her friend is pregnant; she wants to catch  Partial. These engineered organic beings are immune for the RM virus and they can be the answer to finding a cure. Together with a small group they manage to catch a Partial, but the government isn’t happy with her. She has five days to study him before they kill him. While Kira is racing against she clock, she is starting to learn valuable information. Information that makes her question the only world she has ever known.

There are several things I absolutely loved in this book.

1. Like I said in the beginning, the world-building. I never had the feeling that I was reading something unrealistic and it wasn’t hard to understand. I highly enjoyed this setting and I can’t wait to return.
2. The biological/medical aspect of this book. I think this is a love/hate situation, but this fits to my interests. I haven’t read anything like this in a book before. I liked the scientific data and research about the RM virus. Yes, some things are a bit hard to believe (Kira is a medic-in-training and sixteen years old, but she is talking like someone who has been researching for years), but I found this very interesting and enjoyable.
3. The characters, especially Kira. She is smart, strong and brave. She was capable of making clever choices and she is willing to sacrifice herself to rescue her friend’s baby.
4. No overwhelming romances! I’m getting tired of this ‘trend’ and I’m happy that it didn’t happen in Partials. Yes, there is some romance between Kira and her boyfriend Marcus, but it is always on the background. Say goodbye to the insta-love and the love-triangles, it is all about the research for a cure.
5. The ending. It makes me excited for the next book, but there is no torturous cliff-hanger.

It did take me some time to get sucked into the story. It was about halfway (from the moment she is investigating Samm) when I really started to like this story, but I couldn't put it down once I reached that point.

41 comments

  1. I agree! There was no insta love. I'm a huge fan of the series. Read Fragments! It's even better :D

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I liked this one as well, though I struggled a bit with the medical aspect - it just wasn't believable for me. But especially the world building was great and I can't wait to see where the story goes in the sequel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen so many mixed reviews for PARTIALS that I really don't know what to think anymore! I'm going to have to read it soon, though, because I already bought it. :P Glad that you enjoyed it, Mel. "I never had the feeling that I was reading something unrealistic and it wasn’t hard to understand." - Sounds promising! I'm also a huge fan of science-fiction (as you probably already know), so the medical/biological aspect definitely interests me further.

    Hmm, I've also read several reviews saying that Kira wasn't all that fleshed-out as she could've been, but I'm happy to hear that you found her very likable. :) She sounds really nice when you talk about her that way!

    Okay, so I'm going to have to man up and get to PARTIALS sooner or later. Thanks for such a helpful review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Kira was a solid character. Not the best out there, but definitely not a bad character! :) I hope you'll enjoy your copy Megan.

      Delete
  4. I've wanted to read Partials for a while now and even more so after reading this review. I LOVE books where the author has really thought through and developed the world-building and you get swooped up into a whole new and exciting world! And I'm also sure I could appreciate the plot being more in the spotlight and the romance in the background since all the books I seem to be reading always focus on the romance instead of the plot!

    Great review - thanks for sharing! You've made me want this so much more now! xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the scientific/medical aspect of the book would fit well with my interests, too. And I'm glad you thought the world-building was handled well! I can sometimes be lenient with world-building if the rest is good enough, but I'm happy to hear that it's done well in this book. Fantastic review, Mel! I will need to dig my copy out again! I keep meaning to read it, though I haven't seem to been able to yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you manage to read this book soon Sam. I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

      Delete
  6. I have this and have been trying to decide if Inshould try it out. Since you liked it, I think I'll give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy you liked this one! I really enjoyed it too, for many of the same reasons you mentioned. While it was a little unbelievable that a 16-year old thought of the one thing no one had tried, it also makes sense that it took someone with something personal to lose to try the craziest thing possible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with everything you said Mel. I love the world-building and am so eager to read Fragments to find out more. I also loved the medical aspect of the book, it shows that Dan Wells did his research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And research is always important for an author :D

      Delete
  9. I keep hearing wonderful things about these books! I guess i need to get on board soon! Great review! It's awesome that there is no instalove as well! I'm getting tired of that trend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, so I always appreciate it when an author doesn't fall for it.

      Delete
  10. Even though I haven't read a lot about this book, from the few reviews I've seen it seems that lots of readers have enjoyed it. So glad to see you did too. I'll have to add it on my tbr list! Great review, Mel! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay - I'm glad you loved this! I'm really pleased that it had great world building, I started it last year & couldn't get into it! I might just have to go back & pick it up again! Fab review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that it works out for you the second time, Carly.

      Delete
  12. I really got sucked in by your review... I don't know why but its sounds so good! I've got the second book from net galley and I haven't had a chance to read the first yet! I do agree, some love-traingles and insta love can drag so its nice to have a focus on the action and the romance in the background! Seriously an amazing review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read this book yet, but I've heard a lot of good things. I love the idea of great world building. And a good start? You really make this book sound well worth the read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds great! I have a copy that I still have to read. I'm happy the characters are likable and that the story gets really interesting. Amazing review :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review, sweetie ;) Glad you enjoyed this book :) I didn't love it, because I felt like it dragged a bit in the middle :p but it's been ages since I read it. I was excited about the sequel, but then I saw that there is most likely a goddamn love triangle in it.. Won't read it now :\ Because, yeah, I loved her boyfriend, Marcus, and it isn't fair to him, at least not to me. But anyway! I hope you will love the sequel, since the world seems to be more amazing in it :)
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely understand why you didn't like the middle. I guess it's just personal taste :D A love-triangle.. ah, I did see that coming..

      Delete
  16. This story was definitely a slow build up but I ended up really liking it, as well. I listened to the audio, which was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved the biological and medical aspects of this too. They reminded me a bit of my all-time favorite trilogy, Newsflesh. The second book, however, was a complete disappointment. I just finished it a little while ago and thought it was far too long and simply pointless.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been excited about Newsflesh for a while, but now I'm going to put it higher on the list! :D Thanks for the recommendation. I'm sorry to hear that the second book disappointed you.

      Delete
  18. Yay so happy you enjoyed this one too I though it was so well done and very well researched too! I loved the medical aspect of it which is surprising actually. I thought it made everything so much more realistic IMO. Fab revuew, doll!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh it's lovely that you enjoyed this one, Mel! I've kinda put reading this one a bit lower down on my list, but it sounds like a worthwhile read! It's awesome that the world-building is great! Did the scientific aspects of it contribute to it and enhance it in a bit more of a realistic light? Since I'm not a science-y person, I just tend to believe anything that's scientific-sounding, haha! Also nice to hear that there's no insta-love. Great review, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I had a while ago a lot of lessons about bacteria & virusses and I thought it was very believable :) So it definitely added a more realistic approach and it made the world-building complete in my eyes!

      Delete
  20. I love a great character-driven story and this seems like it has it. I haven't read a dystopian book in a while I think.. No, nope, I haven't. I have never given this book much attention since I have some issues with the cover and it has never "called out to me", but you totally sold me with this review! I love a dystopian book that has back round story, because I'm nosy like that and I want to know everything. I'm putting this to my "check out when bored of usual" list and I'll definitely keep an eye on this;-) Thanks, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have this pretty on my shelf, and im so excited for it! Kira sounds like an awesome character i'd love to meet!! And yay for the world building!!! Lovely review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think one of the biggest issues I have the with the dystopian genre as a whole is world-building, so hearing that Partials not only has a great concept, but that it lives up to its promise, is fantastic. I've heard many, many great things about this series, and I'm thinking it's one I really need to look into. I do enjoy dystopians with a focus on medicine/biological manipulation (though it's often turned into an anti-intellectual argument).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I read a not so favourable review of this a few weeks ago and it's really interesting to go to a review from someone who loved it- I decided a while ago that it didn't really sound like my sort of read a while ago, even though I'd been super excited to read it for months before that, and seeing these reactions to it is really interesting from my point of view. I'm thrilled to hear you loved it so much, and really hope the rest of the series proves to be just as awesome for you! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was never sold on this book until now. The summary didn't convince me but your review did. From reading your likes it def sounds like a book I will enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.