Review 142. Debbie Viguié – Scarlet Moon.

Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood" (Once Upon a Time)Title: Scarlet moon; A retelling of “Little Red Riding Hood.”
Author: Debbie Viguié.
Pages: 176.
Published: April 6th 2004.
Publisher: Simon Pulse.
Sort: Part of the ‘’ series.
Ruth's grandmother lives in the forest, banished there for the "evil" that the townsfolk believed she practiced. But if studying the stars, learning about nature, and dreaming of flying is evil, then Ruth is guilty of it too. Whenever Ruth took food and supplies to her grandmother, she would sit with the old woman for hours, listening and learning. When she wasn't in the woods, Ruth was learning the trade of her father, a blacksmith, now that her brother would never return from the Crusades. Amidst those dark days, a new man enters Ruth's life. William is a noble with a hot temper and a bad name, and he makes her shiver. But the young man is prey to his heritage, a curse placed on his family ages ago, and each male of the family has strange blood running in his veins. Now Ruth must come face-to-face with his destiny at Grandma's house. 

Rating:

Oh man, this was disappointing. Red Riding Hood is a great concept, but Viguié didn’t do this tale any justice. The story has no real point; it seemed so useless. We know the identity of the wolf from the beginning (it’s already told in the blurb) and the ending is so lame!


Ruth is bitten by a wolf when she was little. She is now scared all the time, but she is still going IN THE DARK to her grandmother, who was living deep in the forest.  When you are so afraid of the big bad wolf, why the hell do you go to your grandmother in the middle of the night? Ruth works together with her father as blacksmith after her brother left for the Holy War in Jerusalem. I can see that her life is pretty busy, but I think her father would give her some free time to visit Granny.

In an attempt to make the story a little bit interesting – a failed attempt, mind you – William enters the story. He has a bad name and he is plagued by a curse. Yep. Mystery solved. He is immediately crazy about Ruth and he can’t stop thinking about her. When the two of them spent SOME time together, he proposes to her and of course, she says yes! After this there is some “I’m too dangerous for you”, “please stay with me” “no, you should go!” drama. In the end she gets her father approval – huh, what? He doesn’t even know him, only his bad reputation. I also need to point out that the ‘love’ is creepy.

1. He attacked Ruth when she was little. Not very attractive to me.
2. He knows that he is dangerous for Ruth, but he can’t live without her. That is no love, that is being selfish and egoistic.
3. He watches her when she sleeps before they really know each other. HA, kidding, but it wouldn’t surprised me if he did.

Ruth’s cousin Peter returned from the war and he has some serious issues. I was hoping to get something exciting out of this, but he constantly says “that he doesn’t want to talk about it” So, what is the use of being mysterious when you don’t want to reveal it in the end of the story? It felt like a poor excuse for his attack on Ruth’s grandmother. He is forcing the old woman to teach him her magic, but she denies it. This makes the ending even more lame. The curse is cured with the blink of an eye and I just had to roll my eyes. It was a very pathetic attempt of a happily-ever-after.

The only reason this book got 1.5 flowers instead of 1; Ruth is a blacksmith despite everyone's disapproval. She stands up for herself and she even starts a fight with a man because he insults her - and she was winning. But the disconnection from all the characters, the fact that the story builds towards nothing and the horrible ending make me recommend to you: please, don’t read this book.

35 comments

  1. Oh, I'm sorry that this book is such a disappointment, Mel! Your points about 'love' cracked me up though. I think I know which book with certain kind of 'love' you're referring to. ;) The whole 'I'm dangerous but I love you' thing can really be overused sometimes. I'm really interested that Ruth is a blacksmith though. :)

    Thank you for your honest, wonderful review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think everybody knows what I'm referring to :p

      Delete
  2. Sounds like this story could have been told better. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it at all. I'll be sure to steer clear of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you didn't enjoy this book. SCARLET MOON is a new title to me, but I'm going to give this one a pass! Ugh, William and Ruth's relationship sounds so unrealistic. Plus, who would want to like someone who has a bad name, a curse, and who is selfish? Is this kind of romance becoming a trend or something? :/

    It's kind of disappointing that you didn't enjoy this book more, since the premise actually sounded pretty interesting. Hopefully your next read will be much better, Mel! Thanks for the honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. A bad name is already a reason to stay away, but the combination of all those aspects.. RUN girl RUN.

      Delete
  4. Too bad this wasn't great..I love fairy tale retellings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, so it's an extra shame that it was so bad :(

      Delete
  5. I haven't even heard of this before, but I guess I'm glad! All that 'I’m too dangerous for you' drama is pointless and immature. I can't even stand seeing that in books nowadays. And with a lame ending, I suppose there isn't much reason at all to read this book. Sorry it didn't do it for you, Mel! Lovely review as always, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't stand drama like that anymore..

      Delete
  6. Oh no, 1.5 stars! Truth be told, I love the idea of fairy retellings more than I love most executions. Sounds like this was a major disappointment--I'm so sorry! Hope your next read is better, Mel.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some very good retellings out there (to name one: Marissa Meyer's Cinder & Scarlet) but I agree. Some retellings have a better promise than execution.

      Delete
  7. So sad you didn't like it. I don't know it and probably won't.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this book wouldn't be for me either, it sounds far too cliched for my liking! Sorry it didn't work out for you either Mel, but thanks for taking one for the team! I hope your next read is a lot more enjoyable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome ;) Books like this make you appreciate the awesome books even more :D

      Delete
  9. Oh my, Mel. This sounds pretty awful. So sorry this turns out kind of a waste of reading time for you. I love fairytale retellings but they did have to be very well executed! This wouldn't work for me too, I guess. Thanks for the honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never really been a fan of Red Riding Hood (with the exception of Marissa Meyer's outstanding Scarlet) so this one was never on my radar. Glad to know I'm not missing anything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, this sounds really bad. Which sucks, cause I read the blurb and thought I would like it. William sounded totally hot hahaha. Pity..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, that sucks that this was so disppointing. It had been on my radar for awhile, but I haven't gotten to it. I think I might just push this right off my TBR list. It's not like I don't have other books I want to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ouch Mel. That really was a disappointment. I hadn't heard of this book before but it surely doesn't sound good. At all. And that 'love' relationship is very messed in a very bad kind of way. Oh well. Not every book is great! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had my Twilight nightmare all over again..

      Delete
  14. Bhahahaha! i lovw a great retelling and sometimes it can be even better than the original. Too bad this was not the case here. Clearly the main character is not the brightest and knowing beforehand is usually bad news. Lucky for me that this was not on my tbr pile anyway. Thanks for you honest thoughts, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love my fairytales and retellings, so I was very disappointed. You are welcome. I'm always happy to help, because this is a waste of time.

      Delete
  15. Oh man, I can't say I'm surprised. I read a book by Holder and Viguie and it was just SO bad. So bad that I don't know if I could ever read anything else by one of them again. Pretty much every review I see backs up that life plan.

    Such a shame because I LOVE fairy tale retellings.

    Also, HOLLA for "needing" to be with her even though you're terrible for her not being love. It's SELFISHNESS. I wrote a post on something similar recently. I just think that's such a bullshit excuse to get with someone. Besides, there's nothing romantic about NEEDING to be with someone. That way lies codependency. What's romantic is not needing them and wanting them around anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like her 'Midnight pearls' are retelling from The little mermaid. My goal is to read every book from the Once upon a time series, but they are clearly not all a success :p And I totally agree with you. If you love someone and you know you are no good to them, you let them go.

      Delete
  16. Ewwww I would totally hate this. I have to say every book by Debbie Viguié that I read I was disappointed. Me and her do not mesh it seems. But ugh that romance makes me want to burn the book! "He knows that he is dangerous for Ruth, but he can’t live without her." is a total Twilight rip off that has been done over and over.... and over.. and over again. *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like Violet eyes and Midnight pearls wasn't so bad, but this :( I was very close at throwing this book against the wall.

      Delete
  17. I remember loving most of this series in junior high, but don't think I ever read this one. (The Cameron Dokeys were the best.) Guess I didn't miss much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Dokey's books are by far the best :)

      Delete
  18. Awwww.... :( That's too bad; I've always loved Little Red Riding Hood and retellings. But WHAT?! a PROPOSAL in addition to the insta-lovey-dovey-ness?!! Good God...

    Sorry to hear that this was such a disappointment. I'll keep this one on my stay-away list as well. Thanks for sharing your lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.