Monday, March 18, 2013 12:18

Review 140. Tia Nevitt – The sevenfold spell.

The Sevenfold Spell (Accidental Enchantments, #1)Title: The sevenfold spell.
Author: Tia Nevitt.
Pages: 97.
Published: September 27th 2010 by Carina Press.
Sort: Part one of ‘Accidental Enchantments.’
Review Part two: The magic mirror and the seventh dwarf.
Have you ever wondered what happens to the other people in the fairy tale? Things look grim for Talia and her mother. By royal proclamation, the constables and those annoying "good" fairies have taken away their livelihood by confiscating their spinning wheel. Something to do with a curse on the princess, they said. Not every young lady has a fairy godmother rushing to her rescue. Without the promise of an income from spinning, Talia's prospects for marriage disappear, and she and her mother face destitution. Past caring about breaking an arbitrary and cruel law, rebellious Talia determines to build a new spinning wheel, the only one in the nation--which plays right into the evil fairy's diabolical plan. Talia discovers that finding a happy ending requires sacrifice. But is it a sacrifice she's willing to make?
Rating:


This book was so different than I expected. After really enjoying part two, I decided to pick this one up. You can see that I was disappointed by this story. It's almost as if it was written by another author. The magical feeling was gone and replaced by something that doesn't fit a fairytale.


The first thing that really surprised me is the amount of sex scenes. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind it, but I didn’t expect them in a fairytale retelling. They felt very out of place and this book lost all it’s magical charm. Most of the time, our MC can be found in the bed of several men in an attempt to forget her real love William. He is send away to a monastery, because his father isn’t able to take care of William and his two sisters. Tia is a “plain, dull” looking girl, as her mother likes to describe her. William is the only one who gives her the attention she longs for. They are making love two weeks long before he leaves and they start to fall in love. Tia is now a pariah and that is when she throws herself at any available man. I think she feels flattered when she seduces them, but she lost her dignity in my eyes.

I did admire Tia’s strength. She stood up for herself and she doesn’t care about other people’s opinion. That is the only good thing I can say about her, though. I didn’t care for William. I never felt a connection with these characters – and that is not only because of the shortness of this story. The writing-style made them feel very distant.

There is still a moment when we get a glimpse of a fairytale. When a little girl Rose comes in their town with her two aunties. It appears that Rose is simple, but she is in fact princess Aurora. When the evil fairy cast her curse, the last good faerie couldn’t complete the Sevenfold spell. Rose is doomed to stay this way until she sleeps for a hundred years. I did like the twist towards the ending, although I saw it coming.

It’s a shame.. I’m very glad that I read the second book first, otherwise I wouldn’t have picked it up after reading this one. Just skip it.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

27 comments:

  1. I remember being very put off by all the sex scenes-so not what I was expecting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never read this book. To bad you didn`t like it. But great that you like book number two then:) Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's strange how her style changed in book 2.

      Delete
  3. I usually hate realizing I started a series with the wrong book! So, I'm so glad it worked out well for you! This sounds like a fun a fairy tale series, even though book 1 was not as good as book 2. I'd never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I started in the wrong book, but they can be read separately :)

      Delete
  4. Tia's strength sounds like a plus at least. So sorry this one fell flat. I'd never heard of it, but prb will stay clear.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do recommend that you stay away from this one :p

      Delete
  5. You wouldn't be the only one not expecting sex scenes in a fairytale retelling! Talia doesn't sound like an honorable protagonist in my eyes either. I don't really mind it when someone has sex with ONE person, but with a few... ew, no, thanks. I don't think I'll be giving this one a go - so thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I just started laughing when you said the thing about the sex scenes. That's just … odd in a fairy tale. I mean, maybe I should be more open-minded, but …. wow.

    You can find me here: Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I am open-minded, but this was just so weird!

      Delete
  7. Sex scenes in fairytale retellings is not something I would expect too lol. I've never heard of this book before but it sounds really cool and different from anything I've read for sure.Tia also sounds like my kind of MC. I'm not much for the damsel in distress types. Great review, muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read this book and it seems like I never will. I don't mind sex scenes either but they have to serve a bigger purpose for the MC and the storyline. It doesn't sound like that's what happens in this book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely, it was here more of.. filling up the space in the thin plot.

      Delete
  9. Huh. I don't think I've seen sex scenes in a fairy tale retelling before. I like that this has a strong MC, but otherwise it doesn't sound that great. However, I do think it's funny that you read the second part and DID enjoy that one. They must have done something wrong with the first ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was like the second book was written by another person under the same name.. So strange!

      Delete
  10. The blurb sounded really intriguing, but I would never have imagined to be bombarded by sex scenes! Lol that's just so odd in a fairy tale retelling. And a fairy tale where you don't believe in the romance? Doesn't sound like a very good fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, most of the times, fairytales are all about the romance..

      Delete
  11. That is odd! LOL Definitely a pass for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Uhm, wow. This book sounds crappy. I might have been okay with all those sex scenes you mention, IF it had been with one guy only :p I don't think I would have liked this book at all. I'm so sorry that you didn't like it, that it was so disappointing. But oh, thank you for your awesome honest review :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, sorry this was disappointing. I've never heard of this before, but I don't think I will be adding it to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear :( I wasn't expecting the 2-flowers rating either after reading your review of the second one. You're really right about her losing her dignity. That sounds like just downright vulgar and mindless action. It's really too bad that all that distracted from the fairy tale nuances of the story. Ah well...Thanks for sharing the honest review though, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0