Friday, March 15, 2013 10:00

Review 139. Sarah Zettel – Dust girl.

Dust Girl (The American Fairy, #1)Title: Dust girl.
Author: Sarah Zettel.
Pages: 304.
Published: June 26th 2012.
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers.
Sort: Part one of ‘The American fairy trilogy’
Callie LeRoux lives in Slow Run, Kansas, helping her mother run their small hotel and trying not to think about the father she’s never met. Lately all of her energy is spent battling the constant storms plaguing the Dust Bowl and their effects on her health. Callie is left alone when her mother goes missing in a dust storm. Her only hope comes from a mysterious man offering a few clues about her destiny and the path she must take to find her parents in “the golden hills of the west”: California. Along the way she meets Jack, a young hobo boy who is happy to keep her company—there are dangerous, desperate people at every turn. And there’s also an otherworldly threat to Callie. Warring fae factions, attached to the creative communities of American society, are very much aware of the role this half-mortal, half-fae teenage girl plays in their fate.
Rating:

“I thought maybe I could just get away from everything. But you can't get away from a thing that's your own fault.”

From the beginning I was sucked into the story of Callie. She lives in Slow Run with her mother in a small hotel. The constant storms are causing health problems for Callie, but her mother refuses to leave. Year ago their father left them, but he promised to return one day and her mother is holding tight to that promise.

When one of the worst dust storms comes up, Callie’s mother disappears. That is when Callie starts to find out that she isn’t just a girl. She is part of a prophecy and the two Faerie courts – Seelie and Unseelie – are both looking for her. Together with Jack, a boy she releases out of jail, Callie is heading for the golden hills of the west; California. Her parents are supposed to be there and she will do anything to safe her mother. On their way, they encounter dangerous people and it’s hard to find out who they can trust.

I really liked Callie. She has a hard time with the dust, but she keeps supporting her mother. I’m not really sure if her mother deserves that, but her loyalty was touching. It was fun to collect all the pieces of the puzzle with her. Why is she hearing all these strange voices and what is the mystery around her father? Jack is a sweet boy, but I didn’t really connect with him. He was just there and I like that he decides to help Callie, a girl he barely met. The secondary characters are interesting and I like how they played their role in the story. There are some creepy characters and it was a shame that the real villain was overshadowed.

The ending was a bit too rushed for my taste. I didn’t see the twist coming, but I wished that the plot got more time to unravel. A few pages more would have completed this story, but I’m definitely looking forward to part two, Golden Girl, which will be published June 25th.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

39 comments:

  1. This sound like a book I will like to read:) Thanks for sharing:) Love you review, and the books cover is beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this book on NetGalley sometime around last year or so, but it never really caught my attention. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, though! Callie sounds like the ideal MC - likable, easy to connect with, and totally realistic. Eh, I've been reading a lot of books with rushed endings, so what's one more? ;) I do think villains need to stand out, too, so it's a shame he was overshadowed in DUST GIRL.

    Anyway, great review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that mother sounds annoying. Refusing to leave even though her daughter is sick? Yeesh. But despite some faults, this sounds good overall. I don't read nearly enough fairy books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry the ending was rushed, but glad that you liked Callie--she seems loyal and great to read about.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I love about series where the lead has some abnormal transformation, is that that the first book is basically an introduction. It appears this is the case of Dust Girl. I guess Golden Girl will have more revelations (ie. her father) and conflicts. Looking forward to your thoughts on the followup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "A boy she releases out of jail"... um that sounds awesome! That's too bad that you didn't connect with him, though I'm glad you liked the main character. That's what's most important. Overall, the book sounds very interesting. I think it's something I would enjoy. I'm adding this to my Goodreads page. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it if you give it a shot! :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds good, and I don't think I've seen this one reviewed before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any reviews about it either. It was an impulsive buy and I'm happy I went for it.

      Delete
  8. How have I not heard of this book? I mean ... I'm from Kansas, not a whole lot of books get based in that forsaken land. I love a good paranormal book and it sounds like the MC is someone I can get behind. Too bad you didn't connect with the love interest, I'm always disappointed with that happens :(
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. I always like it when I come across a book about the place I grew up :D

      Delete
  9. This one sounds really cool! I am listting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any review on this book, so thank you for the wonderful review, Mel! <3 I'm glad that you liked the heroine, and Callie does sounds amazing. :) I'm very interested with the faerie part and the journey to save her mother as well, it's always lovely to read strong heroine with purpose in her mind! <3

    Amazing review, dearie! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the title, cover and blurb of this one just don't give enough information. By the title and cover, I thought this was historical fiction set during the Depression in the 1930s. But the blurb doesn't really say. And it's also … paranormal?

    Hmmm. I do like books that are completely different. I'll think about giving this a try.

    You can find me here: Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the blurb is pretty accurate when it comes to the story. The faeries are there, but not like you normally expect from a Paranormal story. They feel very realistic instead of strange, other creatures.

      Delete
  12. I like her last name ;) And I also like the cover and the blurb. I am not a huuuuge fan of faeries but I truly think I will enjoy this one. Rushed endings suck, but let's hope the second book can make it up to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can appreciate this book, since it doesn't focus on the faeries.

      Delete
  13. I always find it odd when characters risk everything to help each other even though they've just met, but I'm glad it worked in Jack and Callie's case. This has been on my tbr for so long! i should probably read it for my challenge.
    GReat review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could accept his choice, since he has no one else and she promises to help him with his future :)

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the amazing review! I had never heard of this book before but it sounds awesome! Very me :)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review, I've had this book on my list for a long time but it kind of slipped my mine until I read your review! Thanks for the reminder ;) and for stopping by my blog!

    New follower :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. This definitely sounds like an interesting book. Callie sounds like a great character!

    Kind of reminds me a little of Blood Red Road from what I can garner from your review and the premise.

    Either way, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hm. I haven't heard of this book before. It doesn't sound like my typical read, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh, I've never heard of this and it certainly sounds interesting, but the thing that most gets me and is making me swoon- THAT QUOTE! You can't start a review with a quote like that and not expect practically everyone to start fainting and buying every possible copy of the book. I think I'm adding it to my to-read list, just to swoon for that quote. Aah- it's bookish love. (:
    Fantastic review, Mel! I always love how to the point and well rounded they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Romi! I always try my best to make my reviews as good as possible, so it's great to hear compliments like that :D

      Delete
  19. Glad to hear you liked this one so much! I've been meaning to start this series since I recently got hold of book 2. It's been too long since I've read a good fairy book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great! I can't wait for the release of Golden Girl :D

      Delete
  20. Now THIS sounds interesting. It doesn't sound like anything I've ever read, and I'm very curious right now. I'm glad you liked it and I definitely want to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review, sweetie :D I'm glad you enjoyed this book. <3 I'm sorry you didn't connect with Jack, though :\ and that the ending was a bit rushed.. but I hope you'll love the sequel :) I must admit to never having really read about this book, but having read your review, I do think it sounds pretty awesome :) Maybe one day :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like a pretty decent read :) Definitely love the sound of Callie, though it's too bad that Jack was sort of a hasty paste-in. Well, at least it still left you wanting the next one even though the ending was rushed :/ Anyhow, great honest review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0