Monday, March 04, 2013 17:01

Review 134. Kagawa, Aguirre & Duvall - ‘Til the world ends.

'Til The World Ends (Blood of Eden #0.5)Title: ‘Til the world ends.
Authors: Julie Kagawa, Ann Aguirre & Karen Duvall.
Pages: 368.
Published: January 29th 2013 by Harlequin Luna.
Sort: Part 0.5 from ‘Blood of Eden.’
Review part 1: The immortal rules.
Source: Netgalley & The publisher.
Dawn of Eden by Julie Kagawa
Before The Immortal Rules, there was the Red Lung, a relentless virus determined to take out all in its path. For Kylie, the miracle of her survival is also her burden-as a doctor at one of the clinics for the infected, she is forced to witness endless suffering. What's worse, strange things are happening to the remains of the dead, and by the time she befriends Ben Archer, she's beginning to wonder if a global pandemic is the least of her problems....
Thistle & Thorne by Ann Aguirre
After a catastrophic spill turns the country into a vast chemical wasteland, those who could afford it retreated to fortresses, self-contained communities run by powerful corporations. But for Mari Thistle, life on the outside-in the Red Zone-is a constant struggle. To protect her family, Mari teams up with the mysterious Thorne Goodman. Together, they'll face an evil plot in both the underworld of the Red Zone and the society inside the fortresses that could destroy those on the outside...for good.
Sun Storm by Karen Duvall
Sarah Daggot has been chasing storms since she was a child. But after the biggest solar flares in history nearly destroy the planet, she becomes a Kinetic, endowed by her exposure to extreme radiation with the power to sense coming storms-in the cosmos and beyond. And she's not the only one. Sarah believes the Kinetics are destined to join forces and halt the final onslaught of the sun. She'll vow to keep trying to convince the one missing link in their chain of defense, the enigmatic Ian Matthews, up until the world ends.
Rating: Different rating for every story, but overall:

To be very honest, the reason why I wanted to read this book was because of Dawn of Eden. I can’t wait for The eternity cure after falling in love with The immortal rules. I loved this one. We get more information about the Red Lung virus. Kylie is trying to help her patients, but they are all slowly dying. When Ben arrives with his wounded friend, he is keeping a secret that will change their world very soon. It was a great way to understand the situation at the beginning of the outbreak. We even get a glimpse of a character in The immortal rules! This story get’s 4 out of 5 flowers.

The next novel wasn’t my cup of tea. Thistle & Thorne by Ann Aguirre was a very confusing story. The world-building wasn’t fantastic and I didn’t connect with Thorne or Mari. It started okay, but the middle part was boring and I skimmed the last part. That isn’t a good sign with such a short story. I rate this 1 out of 5 flowers, because it was close to a DNF.

Sun Storm by Karen Duvall started very interesting. The world is plagued by sun storm’s with lethal rain of radio-active sun sparks which changes your DNA. Only Kinetics can survive the touch of the sparks and they have a special gift. Sarah can predict the upcoming storms and Ian, new in town, can control the weather. They don’t know the important role they are going to play in the existence of the world. After this nice promise, the story goes downhill. There is some travel, there comes a bad guy, more travel and I skimmed through the end. I rate this 2 out of 5 flowers because of the original subject.

This is the problem I always have with anthologies. Some stories are really good, others suck. I’m not sure if I recommend this book and that is a shame, because Dawn of Eden is worth a read.

]
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

32 comments:

  1. ouch! sorry you didn't enjoy it but good review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really wanted to love it.. but I guess we can't like all books we read.

      Delete
  2. I only picked up this book because of the short story from Kagawa and to be honest that's the only one I read. And like you I did love it! It's got me in the mood for The Eternity Cure definitely now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, you don't really miss anything spectacular ;)

      Delete
  3. That sucks! I love anthologies. I always think its the best way to find new authors. But those other two stories were that bad that you had to skin so much *yuck*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like anthologies, because now I know that the other two authors are probably not my thing :p

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed the Kagawa, that would be the reason I read it too. SOrry the others were disappointing.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Short stories are always so hard, especially in fantasy, because you have no time to do a lot of world building.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kagawa's story sounds great! But that's too bad that only her story ended up being good.

    Nice honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would have been better if this story was published at the end of The immortal rules.

      Delete
  7. I totally share your opinion about the anthologies - some stories are amazing and others are awful. But I'm glad you ended up liking at least one story! Everyone obviously loves Julie Kagawa and I haven't read even one book by her... The shame! haha
    I hope you have better luck with the next anthology you read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, you should definitely read a book from Kagawa! :)

      Delete
  8. Parts of this one sound really good! I need to read more anthologies. I tend to stick with novels, but sometimes you find a good one in an anthology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is also a good way to find out if the authors writing-style works out for you :)

      Delete
  9. I honestly never really like anthologies either, but I like the look of this one just for Kagawa. I might get it just to read that one or hope it gets released all on its own.

    After all, I don't find that lots of short stories mashed together are my thing.

    Great review though and glad that Dawn of Eden lived up to expectations! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to find an anthology that manages to blow me away, but it's also a great way to discover new authors :)

      Delete
  10. Oh, I didn't realize this was an anthology. I never really looked because I haven't read The Immortal Rules yet. I'm not huge into anthologies and usually end up only picking and choosing which to read. Sorry the other stories weren't as good as the one you really wanted. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's because only Kagawa's name is on the cover.

      Delete
  11. Oh, darn. I was hoping this was good simply because it was by Kagawa. I didn't know there were other stories in here by other authors. Good to know! If I pick it up I'll probably only read the one by her. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the reviews on Goodreads are also positive about the other two stories, so it could be me :)

      Delete
  12. Sorry that this was a disappointment for you, Mel! I'm not surprised that you enjoyed Julie Kagawa's story, though - she's an excellent fantasy writer. Confusing books are an absolutely no-no for me. And I agree, the last story sounded promising! Too bad it wasn't that great after all.

    Thanks for the helpful and honest review! I think I'll be staying away from this for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darn, I a) loved this cover and b) really wanted to read Kagawa's story, but I really don't feel like picking up this anthology if I'm going to dislike the other two stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is pretty indeed! Perhaps you could try it out from the library? A lot of people seemed to like the other two stories :)

      Delete
  14. I had never actually heard of this book, and it probably isn't one that would really interest me, but what a cover! I just love everything about it- the design, the colours, the thought-provokment behind it... wow, stunning! Great reviews- I'm sorry you didn't love it overall, though at least the first story was great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a huge fan of anthologies for that very reason. There's only really one or two authors' stories I want to read, most of the time, and the rest I don't even bother with. Sorry this didn't impress all the way through, but I'm glad you liked Kagawa's story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, but sometimes it's fun to try out new authors :) just to see if the writing-style works.

      Delete
  16. It must have been a while since I've visited because your blog design has changed - I love the new header!

    And I have issues with anthologies too, they can be good for finding new authors, but a lot of the stories can turn out to be duds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still in love with the new design :D

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0