Tuesday, February 05, 2013 12:08

Review 122. Elizabeth C. Bunce – A Curse dark as gold.

A Curse Dark As GoldTitle: A curse dark as gold.
Author: Elizabeth C. Bunce.
Pages: 396.
Published: March 1st 2008.
Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books.
Sort: Stand alone.
Charlotte Miller has always scoffed at talk of a curse on her family's woolen mill, which holds her beloved small town together. But after her father's death, the bad luck piles up: departing workers, impossible debts, an overbearing uncle. Then a stranger named Jack Spinner offers a tempting proposition: He can turn straw into gold thread, for the small price of her mother's ring. As Charlotte is drawn deeper into her bargains with Spinner-and a romance with the local banker-she must unravel the truth of the curse on the mill and save the community she's always called home.
Rating
1 star
This book was close to a DNF. I was really looking forward to read it, since there aren’t so many Rumpelstiltskin retellings. I saw on Goodreads that a lot of people liked it. I might expected too much from the story, but I was so bored!


Charlotte Miller and Rosie Miller are taking care of their woolen mill after their father’s death. There are rumors about a curse, but Charlotte is to earthly-minded to believe in ‘such nonsense’. They are having a hard time; they are broke and they lose a lot of workers. Things are looking better when they Uncle Wheeler arrives, brother of their deceased mother. That is until he decides it’s better for them to get married. Business is not meant for women, but Charlotte isn’t ready to give up yet. That’s why she accepts Jack Spinners offer. Now it’s only a ring, but Jack won’t be satisfied with jewelry for long.

This book started all right. I liked the stubborn Charlotte at first. She was willing to do anything to keep the mill in the Millers family – except taking help from the right people. When Charlotte is married to a guy, she refuses to tell him anything. She doesn’t want to loan any money from him, so she decides it’s better to offer anything he wants to the unknown Jack Spinner. Sounds like a great plan girl! She really started to get on my nerves. But at least something happened after that deal, because I was. so. freaking. bored. The only thing that happens is: Charlotte denying the curse, some accidents and a lot of I’m-not-going-to-sell-the-mill discussions with uncle Wheeler.

So no, this book wasn’t something for me at all. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t give it a try if you like the sound of it. Go to Goodreads and look at the other reviews, they are all very positive. It just didn’t work out for me.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

14 comments:

  1. Aw, Mel, so sad to hear you didn't like this! I know that this is in my want-list from 2 or 3 years ago. I can see why you didn't like it. Maybe our heroine got carried away with her stubbornness. Great honest review!

    Precious
    Fragments of Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this didn't work for you-I remember liking it but being frustrated about how Charlotte didn't talk to her husband at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry that you didn't like this book. I haven't readthis one, but I had my eye on it. Now I don't think I am going to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, sorry this one wasn't for you. I like the cover, and Charlotte sounds good at face value,
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer and I so love re-tellings. The cover is lovely. *scratches off wish list* Thanks for joining in the read-a-thon. Somehow you responded through blogger and not discus, so I apologize for not responding. Are you reading Strands of Gold and Bronze? I have an ARC of it and will be starting it soon, it's another retelling and I desperately hope its good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one has been sitting on my shelves forever---picked up because of the gorgeous cover and because it was a retelling. After reading your review, I'm not sure it's really my thing either. Maybe I'll give it try someday if I have nothing else to read (like that ever happens LOL). Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I trust your judgement when it comes to fairytales, and I'm pretty certain I won't enjoy this. I'm sorry it disappointed, Mel, even when it started off okay. I think I'll avoid for the time being... great review, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your review made me laugh! I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy this, Mel. Fairytale retellings aren't my specialty (but they're yours, so like Sam, I trust your judgement on them!), but I can tell that I won't be enjoying this book either. Charlotte sounds like one of those stupid oh-look-it's-a-boy-and-he's-cute-I-think-I'll-do-anything-for-him kind of girl.

    It's sad to see that a book with such an interesting premise falls short of your expectations. I think I'll give this a pass for now.

    Lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww :( I saw the cover and fell in love! So sad to hear it's not that good. I hate girls like Charlotte in books, so it's not for me either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. "So.freaking. bored." I got this from the library ages ago, read a few chapters, and never did pick it up again--and more importantly, I don't really have any desire to. I'm with you on the indifference to this one. Oh, well. Hope your next read is better!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  11. Think I'll give this one a miss. i wrote a 2 star review for a book the other day that only had 4 and 5 star reviews up til that point. The author said 'but it has all these fab reviews...' Good for you! but it doesn't change that I personally did not like it. we're allowed to not like books aren't we?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Urgh. This sounds no bueno. The last thing I need right now is a boring read so I will be keeping well away. Thanks for the review though, Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember feeling disappointed after reading this too >_<

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear O_O This was a surprise, since from seeing that cover (which I gotta admit, is quite pretty!), I was like, Wow, a book that seems like the type that Mel would really enjoy! Sorry to hear that it was such a disappointment! I would've definitely fell for that Rumpelstiltskin retelling hook, but good grief, I would've wanted to strangle this Charlotte too >_< Anyway, thanks for sharing the honest review, Mel! Hope your next read is better <3

    Happy Chinese New Year~!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0