Thursday, January 10, 2013 15:00

Review 113. Cameron Dokey – The world above.

The World Above: Title: The world above. 
Author: Cameron Dokey.
Pages: 175.
Published: June 8th 2010 by Simon Pulse
Sort: Stand alone, Part of the ‘Once upon a time series’ 
Challenge(s): Fairytales & Bingo.
Gen and her twin brother, Jack, were raised with their mother's tales of life in the World Above. Gen is sceptical, but adventurous Jack believes the stories--and trades the family cow for magical beans. Their mother rejoices, knowing they can finally return to their royal home.When Jack plants the beans and climbs the enchanted stalk, he is captured by the tyrant who now rules the land. Gen sets off to rescue her brother, but danger awaits her in the World Above. For finding Jack may mean losing her heart..
Rating

This has to be one of my favorite retellings from Cameron Dokey together with Golden (retelling from Rapunzel). It has everything you could ask for in a fairytale. A intelligent, strong heroin, a sweet love romance and some action to spice it all up.


Jack and Gentian (Gen) live with their mother. They aren’t rich, but happy. When their need for money is high, Jack is sent to sell their cow on the market. Instead of money, Jack comes home with magical beans; their mother starts to cry tears from happiness. Gen is afraid that he lost his mind. Their mother always told them a bedtime story about her life. She was Duchess Celine, married to Duke Roland in ‘The world Above’. When Roland was murdered by Guy, pregnant Celine fled to ‘The world below’ by climbing down a beanstalk. With these beans they can claim their Kingdom back. Jack goes first, but he doesn’t come home in four weeks and Gen sets off to recue him. This is the start of a huge adventure for the practical Gen. She meets Jack’s love-interest Shannon and Robert, son of Guy, as Robin Hood. He doesn’t agree with his fathers claim and he wants to help Gen to restore their Kingdoms.

Gen saves the day. She is the brain behind everything. Jack is someone who throws himself into a situation before he thinks. They are twins, but very different and I liked their interaction. When he is caught by Guy, Gen comes up with a clever plan. I liked how down-to-earth and witty she was. When she faces her enemy, she stays cool and smart. There is also no instant-love! They were sweet together and their romance is fast, but that’s something you can expect from such a short book.

I love the twist she gave to the original story and it was fun to see some parts of other fairytale stories as well. Fun, quick book.

Mel1
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

17 comments:

  1. I've read most of these retold fairy tales but had missed this one-I'll definitely need to add it to the list now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked the other retellings, you'll definitely like this one too! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh cute new design! I like it! And I've been really enjoying retellings lately I'll have to check this one out! I'Ve never read any of the Once upon a time books I really should try it out O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giselle!

      Some of the books from that series were a bit disappointing, but there are some good retellings :) like this one.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a great retelling! I like that it has no insta-love, because most of the time I really can't stand it when that happens anymore. Also, Gen seems like a great character to read about. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The no insta-love surprised me a lot. I almost expected it.

      Delete
  4. Wait, there is a Robin Hood in this book! I love books about Robin Hood so I definitely need to look into this one. Plus, the whole story seems pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing and bringing it to my attention. I'm going to put it on hold right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was fun that he also showed up in the story! :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds interesting. I love retelling stories:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read a rapunzel retlling, and that is sweet there is Robin hood representation.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fairytale re-telling and this sounds like one I might enjoy a lot! I sounds a mixture of Repunzel, Robin Hood and Jack and the bean Stalk.
    Glad you enjoyed reading this, Amazing Review!

    Gabby~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huh. This sounds like a really interesting retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk. I think I might pick this one up. Honestly I'm not really impressed with a lot of the Once Upon a Time book series, but Cameron Dokey's have always been good. :) Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From all the authors in the series, I think I enjoy reading her book the most :)

      Delete
  9. This sounds great! I love fairy tales and retellings, so I'll definitely be adding this to my TBR. Amazing review :)

    Also, I love the new blog design. It's very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a lovely retelling! The only retelling I've read of Jack and the Beanstalk would probably be (partially) Enchanted, though that one didn't go well for me. I do love the sound of a twist! Those are always so much fun to read, because they show so much of an author's creativity ^_^ Lovely review, Mel! <3

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0