Sunday, January 06, 2013 12:34

Review 112. Cassandra Clare – City of Glass.

City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
Title: City of Glass,
Author: Cassandra Clare.
Pages: 541.
Published: March 24th 2009 by Margaret K. McElderry Books
Sort: Part three of ‘The mortal instruments.’
Review part 1: City of Bones.
Review part 2: City of Ashes.
To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight. As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?
Rating:


I liked it, but I didn’t love it as much as the other two books. There might be spoilers if you haven’t read the other books.

Clary is now searching for wizard Ragnor Fell, because he is the one to bring her mother back from her coma. She must travel to City of Glass, home of the Shadowhunters, but Jace finds it much too dangerous for her. He tricks her, but Clary is determined to find the wizard and she makes her own portal into the city.

Valentine has made his army of Demons and he breaks into the city; demons flood through the streets and there is death and chaos everywhere. He gives the Clave a choice. They must support him and his war against the Downworlders or he will return with a bigger army to destroy each and everyone of them. Clary isn’t planning to give up and she wants to use the Downworlders in this battle. In the mean time, Jace is on his own mission. He is trying to find Valentine’s hiding place, so he can kill him. Can they win this war before it is too late?

While I liked the plot (even when it was very predictable) and the action, I started to get really annoyed by Clary and her stupid behavior. She is acting like a spoiled brat, she is making dumb decisions and she isn’t capable of thinking clear. I’m not sure what has gotten into her, but I couldn’t stand her! She throws herself into these dangerous situations and I wanted to slap her in the face multiple times. I liked Valentine as the villain, I only wished that he appeared sooner in the story, because I got a little bored sometimes. It was because of that endless dragging about the sister/brother relation between Clary and Jace. Just get over it already. Tell me what is going on and continue with the real story.
  
I’m not sure if I’m going to read the other books. I’m very satisfied with this ending and I’m afraid that the other books are just a waste of time. For now, I think I will say goodbye to these characters and who knows, I might pick up the other book someday.
“There is no pretending,” Jace said with absolute clarity. “I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there’s a life after that, I’ll love you then.”
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

27 comments:

  1. Nice review, Mel! I'm a fan of the series, but at the same time I can understand why you would want to end here, the other books' endings kind of left me with a sour taste... I wasn't really satisfied with those antagonizing conclusions. Anyway, at least you gave the books a go, and lovely, honest review, doll! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some negative reviews on Goodreads, saying that they didn't like the endings too. Such a shame, but I have the feeling that she's just trying to gain more money over nothing.

      Delete
  2. Oh no, too bad it wasn't all to your liking! This one is my favorite in the entire series so far!
    Clary got on my nerves as well, she can be very annoying at times, but I dislike Izzy more.
    I read the next two books and they get sort of a new beginning but from the old point of the first 3 books so it's pretty engaging as well. I loved both 4th and 5th and I cannot wait for the last installment.
    Hope you decide to read more of these. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people seemed to like this one too, but it just didn't work out for me. I might pick them up somewhere in the future, but for now, I'm very content with this ending. Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  3. Aw, sorry to hear that this wasn't really your book. I'm actually planning to read CITY OF BONES soon, what with the movie coming out and all, so I'm kind of disappointed that the sequel doesn't exactly live up to expectations. :/ Sounds like Clary's going to be one of those 'so-brave-they're-foolish' heroine phases. It'll pass. Hopefully.

    Haha, I skimmed through the review so that the story isn't spoiled for me, but overall, thanks for the honesty and the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOLD ON. HAHA. I just realized that this isn't the sequel to the first book! I'm getting a bit confused. How many 'Cities' are there, anyway? XP

      Delete
    2. I'm happy that I did like City of Bones, because I can't wait to see the movie :D

      Delete
  4. I was disappointed in the continuation of this series and since you had mixed feelings on this book I am not sure you will find the others enjoyable. If you haven't read the Infernal Devices series, it may be worth a shot. I think it is better than the Mortal Instruments, and a bit witty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the first book from Infernal Devices and I look forward to try it out :)

      Delete
  5. I'm sad to hear you didn't like this one as much as the other two! While I had issues with Clary in book 2, in this one I liked all of the characters much more and I loved the overall plot and setting better than in the previous books. I was also hesitant whether I should continue these series or not, but I couldn't stop thinking about it so I ordered them anyway :) I'm more curious about the Infernal Devices right now! But I do agree: I definitely need a break from this world and these characters ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw your review and I'm happy you liked it more than I did! :) I hope that the other books also work out for you and I might read them after your reviews. I'm planning to read Infernal Devices soon.

      Delete
  6. This was one of the frustrating books in the series, but that doesn't mean I didn't liked it. A brother and sister issued was stretched a lot, and was not solved till the end of the book, which really made me mad because I wanted to see them together more. And I agree, the ending was satisfying for the series, and that is why I' not continuing with the rest of the three books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they are cute together - but the fact that they were kissing while they were thinking that they are brother and sister.. Bit nasty :p

      Delete
  7. I can't remember how I felt exactly about this book, but I did like the series as a whole. I'm very excited about the movie! Sorry you just felt so-so about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I should rate the three books as a whole, I would give them a 3 out of 5. So that isn't too bad :)

      Delete
  8. Sorry this one didn't go as well for you, Mel! :( I do know what you mean about Clary since as much as I love TMI, she's just never been one of my favourite heroines in YA. Valentine was definitely a great villain in this one :) and to be honest, City of Glass really did feel like a decisive end to the series. Cassie actually planned on TMI being a trilogy, but then she decided to add 3 more books.

    Mel, I suggest you switch to The Infernal Devices side of the fence. I strongly do. It's set in Victorian, and I really do think you'll love it much more than TMI. Tessa is quite different from Clary, trust me.

    Too bad you didn't enjoy this one as much, hope your next read will be better :) Lovely and honest review nevertheless, thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think she wanted to get even more money :) Not that I want to sound too harsh, but sometimes you have to know when to stop. I'm definitely looking forward to The Infernal Devices! The first book stands on the shelves here and I'm planning to give it a shot soon. Tessa sounds good.

      Delete
  9. Awww, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't quite enjoyed this book as the first 2 books in the series, Mel! I did like City of Glass although like Vivian said, I ended up loving The Infernal Devices series more than The Mortal Instruments series.

    Thank you for sharing this awesome and honest review with us, Mel ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear, since I'm planning to read her other series soon :)

      Delete
  10. Haha yes Clary has her moments! Too bad you didn't like this one as much and the 4th was really disappointing to me--she should have kept it at 3 books instead of writing more to make more money. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy this one that much, Mel! I've been debating whether or not to start this series, and I've read a lot of mixed reviews.

    I hate it when characters are annoying and act like brats! Clary sounds like she'd get on my nerves in this...

    Thank you for sharing your brilliant, honest review with us, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry you didn't care for this one. I really love this series a whole lot. I know of a few people who are not continuing after the first 3 books. It makes sense, since the last 3 aren't technically necessary. I still love them though. Thanks for your honesty! I always love hearing what others think of books I've read, good or bad. :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, too bad you didn't like it! I really enjoy this series. Thanks for being honest. And thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah... I'm not sure you should be reading the newer books either. I was satisfied with this ending, too, and though I was initially excited at the prospect of more storyline for the characters, I find the new trilogy to be unnecessary. Sorry you didn't like this one so much, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahh. I'm sorry sweetie :( I'm sorry you didn't love this book. It was my favorite of the three. But only after the first 200 pages.. and yeah, I do understand your feelings about Clary. I didn't like her much. But Jace. Jace is amazing! <3 And yeah. Valentine is an amazing villain :) Thank you for your honest review. <3 I did love the next two books. But you should maybe at least wait for the final book next year before reading them :) City of Lost Souls have an evil ending.
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this book, and this whole series. This is the latest one I've read and it was fantastic, the best so far.

    Sapir @ Diary of a Wimpy Teen Girl

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0