Saturday, January 05, 2013 00:50

Review 111. Kat Zhang – What’s left of me.

What's Left of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles, #1)Title: What’s left of me.
Author: Kat Zhang.
Pages: 343.
Published: September 18th 2012 (first published September 1st 2012)
Publisher: HarperCollins.
Sort: Part one of ‘The hybrid chronicles’
Source: I got a review copy from HarperCollins International.
I should not exist. But I do. Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t… For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet.. for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.
Rating:

”Maybe that’s why things turned out the way they did. I wanted life too badly. I refused to let go. I didn’t complete fade away.”

Everyone has two souls when they are born, but around the age of five, you are supposed to be settled. The dominant soul will live and the recessive one will slowly fade away into nothing. When that doesn’t happen, you become a Hybrid and you will be taken away to an institute. Hybrids are dangerous and the government must take care of them.

Eva and Addie never settled, but the doctors pronounced them healthy after years of therapy and medicine. Eva always clung to Addie and is now only a shadow; she can’t shift into their body, but she can talk and feel. When they become friends with Hally and Devon, their life is about to change. They are Hybrids as well. Hally/Lissa and Devon/Ryan want to help Eva to break free, but they are caught and shipped away to an institute.

When Addie/Eva slowly find out what is going on, their world is falling apart. Everything they are told is a lie and they must do everything to escape with her two friends before it is too late.

I loved this book! I could connect with Eva and I felt incredibly sorry for her. It must be so hard to be locked up in someone’s mind. Everybody around you slowly forget you ever existed and you are supposed to be gone. At the same time, it wasn’t easy for Addie either. She is in constant danger of getting caught, but she’s still trying to help Eva. I appreciated that a lot, despite her egoistic moments. Their struggle and bond is fantastic portrayed. They depend on each other, but they still have their fights and silent treatments. I can't really describe how Zhang did it, but she managed to create two different characters with an own voice in one body. It’s nice that all the secondary characters are also well-written and developed. Ryan/Devon is a wonderful guy and I really liked this love interest. (There is no instant-love. Finally!)

The fast-paced, pleasant writing-style and interesting plot made this book a great read. The world-building is good, but I need more answers about the other Hybrid countries and why they are so dangerous; that’s why this book got 4.5 stars. I’m pretty sure we will find out in the next book.

Conclusion: Unique concept, great execution and I can’t wait to read the sequel.
Pooh
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

38 comments:

  1. wait.. no insta-love? this makes the book that much more interesting to me! great review, i will have to check this one out as it seems very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I'm happy you really enjoyed this one too. I'm definitely looking forward to book two because I have some questions left too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be great to see all the pieces fall together :D

      Delete
  3. I've been seeing some mixed review about this book. I like your review on this. "The fast-paced, pleasant writing-style and interesting plot made this book a great read"----- I might buy myself a copy :D

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always positive and negative reviews. I haven't seen one book everybody loves, because everybody has it's own taste. So definitely give it a shot if you like the sound of it! :)

      Delete
  4. I love that it got such a high grade, I look forward to reading this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I´ve been eyeing this book for a while now, because I love the concept and think it´s really unique, but I have seen some negative reviews which made me a bit hesitant. Your review makes me more excited again! No instant-love is always a win! I should buy (and read) this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There'll always be negative reviews, because everybody has it's own taste. You should try it and see for yourself :D

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I've heard such mixed reviews about it, but you made me excited again! :) It does sound unlike anything I've ever heard before. And I love the cover haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, this one sounds great! It somehow fell down my TBR list a couple months back, but sounds like I need to bump it back up again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a hard time with the four people in two bodies concept. I think I'll start by reading The Host and see how that goes for me. But thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the concept of this book when I first heard of it but it got lost in a sea of new releases for me. I'm so glad to hear you liked it; I like the two body-one head idea and if there's no insta-love, I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I love to review older titles. To make sure that they don't disappear between all the new books :D

      Delete
  10. Yeah, I really loved the dynamic between Addie and Eva, as well!! Excellent concept and executed well, too - it was a lot like The Host, actually. Glad you liked this one, Mel, and great job on the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Host and I'm actually not planning to :p But thanks and I'm happy to hear you also loved it!

      Delete
  11. Oh I'm glad you enjoyed this book Mel, I tired to get into it a while ago, but had to put it down, but your enthusiasm definitely makes me want to give it another try! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed this one, I liked the two souls aspect and fast paced and action packed it was. I also enjoyed the no insta love! Great review!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've really been looking forward to reading this one. The cover is beautiful and it sounds like such a unique story, as you said. Can't wait! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this one too and can't wait to find out what happens next! I really liked the whole concept, and couldn't imagine what it must be like for Eva for everyone to be so happy to see her gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has an impact on her. It was so sad!

      Delete
  15. I have been wanting to read this for so long! Great review! Thanks for your comment on my blog, by the way :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really, really loved the concept behind this one! I didn't find it fast-paced like you did, but I enjoyed moving slowly through this so similar, yet so utterly disparate, world. Totally agree about the love interest. Swoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny, but I'm happy that you enjoyed it :D

      Delete
  17. I've LOVED this cover from the first time I saw it. It's really mesmerizing to me. I'm so glad to hear you liked this one. I've wanted to read it, but I'm wary of dystopians right now. I've been let down too many times! But I think I'd enjoy this one. And now insta-love?! YAY! Sign me up! Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just got this from the library so I'm glad to hear that it's a good read! No insta-love? NO insta-love? Can there actually be no insta-love? LOL that's so rare I forgot its absence was possible! I'm so glad to hear that. I love a good MC. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was honestly worried about this book because two or three people I know who read it didn't REALLY like it. But I'm glad you did. I have it on my bookshelf and hope to pick it up soon.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody has their own opinion, right :D I hope you'll love it as much as me!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0