Wednesday, January 02, 2013 15:11

Review 109. Larbalestier & Brennan – Team Human.

Team HumanTitle: Team Human.
Author: Justine Larbalestier & Sarah Rees Brennan.
Pages: 352.
Published: July 3rd 2012 (first published July 1st 2012)
Publisher: HarperTeen.
Sort: Stand-alone.
Just because Mel lives in New Whitby, a city founded by vampires, doesn't mean she knows any of the blood-drinking undead personally. They stay in their part of town; she says in hers. Until the day a vampire shows up at her high school. Worse yet, her best friend, Cathy, seems to be falling in love with him. It's up to Mel to save Cathy from a mistake she might regret for all eternity! On top of trying to help Cathy (whether she wants it or not), Mel is investigating a mysterious disappearance for another friend and discovering the attractions of a certain vampire wannabe. Combine all this with a cranky vampire cop, a number of unlikely romantic entanglements, and the occasional zombie, and soon Mel is hip-deep in an adventure that is equal parts hilarious and touching.
Rating:

“I don't think he likes girls", I said. "Or boys. Look at the horror on his face. He doesn't look like a people person.”


My first book in 2013 is a fact. I’ve won this book a while ago and it's nice that the main character’s name is 'Mel’ I liked this girl! She is smart, she is doing well in school, she is loyal to her friends and she has a fantastic sense of humor. It was so much fun to read this book told from her POV. I could connect with her and she made me laugh out loud a couple of times.  


She has a best friend named Cathy, an ex-boyfriend called Ty and another friend Anna, who has been absent after her father left her and her mother for a vampire. Vampires are nothing special, since New Whitby has a place for them, The Shade. When one of the vampires sign up for their school, Cathy is fascinated by him. Mel hates him right away and she can’t stand the fact that Francis becomes a part of their group. When Cathy and Francis fall in love, Mel is desperate to keep Cathy away from him. Her plan doesn’t go that well, but that is how a boy with a strange story, Kit, arrives in the story.

Mel is also trying to find out more about Anna’s father. Her mother is acting strange and she can’t believe that her loving father just left her. When Mel starts to discover many secrets together with Kit – a boy she really starts to like – she is plunged into a dangerous mystery. Can she stop Cathy from becoming one of the Undead and can she unravel the mystery around Anna’s father?

While I really liked Mel, I wanted to smack Cathy most of the time. She is a girl with ‘an old soul’ and that is why she connects with Francis. She is supposed to be very clever, according to her perfect grades, but she lacks of intelligence when it comes to love. Wanting to become a vampire after “falling in love” so soon? (They only know each other for two weeks) I did like Kit. He is so sweet and naive, because he knows so little about humans.

Another thing I appreciated about this book was the normal family. Mel has a brother called Lancelot and two happily married, normal functioning parents. I’m happy to see that they still exist in books. It was refreshing to see someone who wants to stay way from vampires, because they are bloodsuckers despite their gorgeous looks. If you like vampires and you want something else, I definitely recommend this book.
Eye-ore
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

20 comments:

  1. My favorite part of this book was how funny it was-I've never read a vampire book with so much humor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Glad you enjoyed this! I know many of my friends did, too, but I never really thought to give it a try because I'm not exactly a huge fan of vampires. :P Ha! That quote made me laugh. Anyway, I'll definitely give this one a go. ;)

    Great review, Mel! Oh, and Happy New Year (I'm quite late, I know)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will connect with Mel without any trouble! She absolutely hates them and her sarcastic way to show that to Francis is hilarious. I hope that you are going to like it! If this quote already made you laugh, you are up to quite some laughing :D

      Delete
  3. AWWW, a book Mel! <3 I've seen this one at the library but was rather iffy-feeling towards it. I really do like your point about normal parents. According to my family studies class (i-it's a sociology subject ^_^;), the nuclear (mom, dad, kids) family structure is not going to be the norm for long :( I love it too when a book presents a great, supportive nuclear family <333 The characters sound really diverse in this one, and it's awesome that you liked Mel!! ^o^ I've yet to find a Vivian in a YA book (please do tell me if you find one ^_^) Fantastic review!

    ~ Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very pleased with this book Mel. She made me proud, haha. If I find a book-Vivian/Viv I will let you know! :D

      Delete
  4. Wow, a normal family is so rare in YA, the missing parent trope is what we've learned to expect. I doubt I'll ever get to read a book in which the MC shares my name... well, maybe a Croatian book, but nothing like this. It must be pretty awesome, especially since you liked her.
    Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I'm very happy that we don't share her real name. (Mel is short for her real name, like my name is actually Melanie)

      Delete
  5. I like that you read something fun and humorous on the first day of 2013 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool, this sounds pretty good! I was also impressed with Brennan's other 2012 release, Unspoken, which also featured two happily married and normal parents - I liked that a lot, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds like fun, I like a book where vampires are not necessarily worshiped. It is always nice to have a normal family in YA, great review!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I really enjoyed Team Human too because it was just a fun read. I actually never thought of how Mel has a normal family in the story but that just makes me like this book even more now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear you liked this book too :)

      Delete
  9. I had almost forgotten this book existed! I've been meaning to get a copy for so long >.< It sounds like a really fun read and it's refreshing to see how a family is actually functionally portrayed. Lovely review, doll!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a nice, refreshing take on the typical vampire book! I'm already almost sold simply by the fact that there's a character who doesn't actually fall for the vampire...cos really, we could do with some variation in the paranormal romance genre now, couldn't we? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that the book was a fun new take on vampires, but there were also certain things that bothered me. Like Cathy and Francis' relationship. Mel definitely is a great protagonist, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been intrigued by this book since I heard about it. I'm a little burned out on typical vampire books, but I like that this is a slightly different take on the genre. I do like both of these authors so I'll probably pick it up at some point. Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0