Thursday, January 31, 2013 17:02

Review 120. Cameron Jace – Grimm Diaries Prequel 1-6.

The Grimm Diaries Prequels volume 1- 6: Snow White Blood Red, Ashes to Ashes & Cinder to Cinder, Beauty Never Dies, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, Mary Mary Quite Contrary, Blood ApplesTitle: The Grimm Diaries Prequel volume 1 – 6
Author: Cameron Jace.
Published: November 19th 2012.
Sort: Prequel to the ‘Grimm dairies’ series.
The Grimm Diaries are pages written in a Book of Sand, where each fairy tale character confessed the true stories once altered by the Brothers Grimm two centuries ago. To keep the truth about fairy tales hidden, the Brothers Grimm buried the characters in their dreams to never wake up again. But the curse is broken now, and the characters are allowed to wake up every one hundred years. They intend to tell the truth about really happened, and about an untold cosmic conflict between fairy tale characters.
Rating
2 stars
This is such a hard ‘book’ to review, I’m still not sure about the rating. I really liked the twist to the stories from the Brothers Grimm. According to this book, the Brothers Grimm altered the true fairytales. The immortal characters from those tales lived among us until there was a cursed placed upon them. They were buried in their own dreams; the Dreamworld. Some of the Immortals broke the curse and they could wake up once every hundred years. The good ones want to tell the truth about their fairytales, the bad ones want to bring wrath on our world. Everything is documented in a Book of Sand, also called the Grimm Diaries. You are now reading part of those diaries.


A lot of character are mentioned in this book and I liked how the puzzle pieces fell together. You can see that the author did his research and his world-building is good. Let me walk you through the diaries:

Snow White Blood Red (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #1)
This is the story of the Queen of Sorrow, also known as the Evil Queen from Snow White. In this diary we get to know the real truth behind her and her daughter (yes, not her stepdaughter) The Evil Queen is actually trying to protect the Kingdom of Sorrow, instead of hunting the girl down for her beauty. She banished Snow to the Dreamworld, so she can find the Lost Seven to kill the immortal Snow White. She must find out who these Lost Seven are by identifying their objects. 
This was a nice story. It was fun to see the first lies from the Brothers Grimm and I almost felt sympathy for the Evil Queen.

Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder  (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #2)
This is the story of Alice Grimm. She is a descendant from the Brothers Grimm and she is able to locate the fairytale characters. It’s her job to remind them in the Dreamworld who they are. When she flies to Venice to an 800 hundred year old witch’s skeleton, Alice knows this is her chance to find one of them. Together with Dreamhunter Loki, she dives into Dreamworld.

While I liked the idea of Grimm’s descendant, I had some trouble with Alice and Loki. Their dialogues were a bit uninteresting. I wanted to see more of the story instead.

Beauty Never Dies (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #3)
Peter Pan is in love with one of the immortal monsters and to wake her up, he wakes Dracula. He is also important to the Evil Queen, because he can help her with the lost Seven.

While I liked the idea of Peter and his love for one of the characters, I didn’t like the language in this story. Peter is trying to show off his good body to the Queen by walking around half naked. She is brushing him off by using worlds I found every un-Evil Queen-like (and yes, that is a word from now on, haha.)
Not that it matters, but this is my favorite cover from the prequels. Very pretty.

Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #4)
Little Red Riding Hood isn’t just some girl. She is given an important role in life and when she reaches the age of sixteen, she will find out. One of her first tasks is going into the woods to bring a basket of food to her grandmother.
I don’t want to give away too much of the story, because the author manages to surprise me. I liked the dark undertone in this story and it was fun to see what the title means. This was one of the better prequels.

Mary Mary Quite Contrary (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #5)Death is watching one particular girl when an enchanted mirror cracks. Some of the splinters ends up in her heart and it makes her a great evil. But one day, her dark practices unleashes an even bigger treat into the world. Death must do something and he locks the evil spirit away in a mirror. The same mirror that talks to the Evil Queen.

The background to the mirror: awesome. I liked that a lot. But this story was actually.. horrible. This is an example of: in need of editing. When Death is talking with words like “duh, told ya and WTF” I’m gone..

Blood Apples (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #6)Prince Charming is working together with Jack the Beanstalk to save his love Snow White from the tower from Rapunzel.

This was okay. I liked the fact that we finally know why the apples are red instead of their original golden colour. The appearance of Jack was fun and I liked how their is a real fairytale undertone in this story: you will do everything for the one you love. You can even look beyond the fact that they are a monster.

Conclusion: These prequels promised me a lot for the upcoming books. I’ll definitely give them a try, because I can see how much fun Cameron had while writing these books. I appreciate the twists on the stories, the way he used a lot of characters and how he built these two worlds. These stories read incredibly fast and they are worth a shot, but you can see that he needs an editor. The reason why I decided to stick with 2.5 flowers is the fact that some of the sentences and words don’t fit into the story. The ideas are better than the execution.
Pooh
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds like it could have been quite good if given a little more care and attention. I'm glad you found some of these stories better than others, though. Lovely, honest review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you did not enjoy this one, Mel, It sounds like it could have been better with an little bit more care into the stories. However it great that you did enjoy some of them, even if not all.

    Great review Mel <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting set of retellings, though a shame about the execution. Super review, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of these but sounds really interesting!

    New follower, hope you can stop by.
    www.themakeupmother.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read these yet. When I first heard about the idea of this series, I was like "this is an awesome idea!!" When I saw the cover of the first book and read the excerpt I was more like "meh" :P Thanks for a great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, great review :) I'm sorry that you didn't love these. But glad you somewhat liked the short stories ;p I won't read them, since you mention that they need editing. I can not read bad writing. It just isn't possible for me. Still, they do sound pretty awesome :) Thank you for sharing your honest review. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lot of fun :) Like you said, the twists on the story make them interesting. You mentioned editing, which is sad.. this sounds like a series that deserves a shot at 'real' publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw man, this makes me SO SAD Mel! I'm still going to read these, but dang! This is my #1 pet peeve about self-published works. Granted, they're not ALL like this, but the biggest issue I find is in the editing. There are many, MANY great and creative stories out there that suffer from not enough editing and the being-pushed-into-the-world-too-soon syndrome. :(

    Thanks for the honest review. I'm interested to know how the full length books are going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh these seem pretty interesting, Mel! I'm sad to hear most of these weren't for you though. Great mini reviews, doll! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was hoping you would love them! Too bad! I will pass then!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0