Wednesday, December 05, 2012 15:50

Review 102. A.E Rought – Broken.

BrokenTitle: Broken.
Author: A.E Rought.
Pages: 384.
Expected publication: January 3rd 2013 by Strange Chemistry.
Sort: Stand-alone.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
Imagine a modern spin on Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein where a young couple’s undying love and the grief of a father pushed beyond sanity could spell the destruction of them allEmma is broken, a hollow shell mechanically moving through her days. She and Daniel had been made for each other, complete only when they were together. When she encounters newcomer Alex Franks, only son of a renowned widowed surgeon, she's intrigued despite herself. He's an enigma, melting into shadows, preferring to keep to himself. But he is as drawn to her as she is to him. He is strangely... familiar. The closer they become, though, the more something inside her screams there's something very wrong with Alex Franks.
Rating:

There is an extremely long blurb on Goodreads and it gives away so much from the story, that I decided to adjust it.

”Promises are like hearts, easily broken.”

Summary.
Emma recently lost her boyfriend and true love, Daniel. She is overwhelmed by sadness and she spends her days wandering on the graveyard – their special place. When she meets newcomer Alex, there is something familiar about him. He knows things about her he actually could not know and they have a certain chemistry. Their friendship develops into a dangerous relationship, because his father doesn’t want Alex together with Emma. And he will do anything to keep them separated.

Opinion. 
I felt sorry for Emma. I can’t imagine how it must feel like to lose your boyfriend. Everybody expects her to move on and she finally starts to feel better when Alex comes into her life. He gives her the same feelings as Daniel. I like Emma’s personality. She stands up for herself, even when the girls at school are giving her a hard time.

“Pathetic?” I stalk up to them. “You wanna know what’s really pathetic? Your lives are so damn empty you have to fill them up with what’s happening in mine.”
 
Alex is lost and broken; in need of love. He died, but his father managed to revive him and that has huge consequences. Especially when he finds out how his father “created” him. This father figure is a terrible person! He is the perfect villain and he scared me. 

The relationship between Emma and Alex went fast, but somehow it also made sense. I had troubles with the slow pace. The beginning is mostly about Emma’s grief and I understand that it’s hard for her, but it dragged. I wished that the action started earlier in the story, because that part was good and creepy.

1
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

18 comments:

  1. I downloaded the book from Netgalley too but I am yet to read it. I think I will like Emma.
    Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will like this story more than I did! :)

      Delete
  2. This didn't completely work for me either, mostly because I didn't feel much happened during the book. You were right to adjust the book description there. It's ridiculous just how much it gives away. I agree that when the action finally kicked in, it was the best part.

    Lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blurb actually tells the whole story in short - and it spoils everything that gives this book a bit of a story.

      Delete
  3. I really like the quote you chose for your review. Emma seems to have some fire in her, even if she's an empty shell :P as that summary suggests. Nice that the father is the perfect villain. I hadn't heard of this book before--thanks for featuring it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was empty indeed. And her development wasn't great, but I liked that she showed some spunk now and then :)

      Delete
  4. Great review Mel! I have heard great things about this book..I'm still not too sure about it myself though.
    If I get the time I will be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice plugin – I will definitely be using it in my Blog.
    Rinoplasti

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had such high hopes for this book, but this is actually the second time I've heard about the pacing being too slow. I'll still give it a go, though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww darn I had high hopes for this one. At least it wasn't awful but I'm not often i the mood for books that drag on. Glad I know what to expect now, though! It might make me a lil less disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read some praising stuff about this book, but I don't do too well with slow books so we'll see if I decide to read this book or not. Still, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cover is absolutely gorgeous but too bad it didn't work for you! Slow pacing doesn't help it either. Anyway, this was a great review! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find it so hard to get into a book when the pacing is inconsistent.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, it's a shame you didn't like it more. I've seen a couple not-so-great reviews for this one, and I have a VERY short attention span so slow pacing tends to lose me fast. I'll still try it, but definitely not anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard of this book quite a few times but never actually wanted to read it. The cover is intriguing but I'm sorry to hear that you didn't quite enjoyed it.

    Thank you for sharing this awesome and honest review with us, Mel ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh, great review :D Sorry you didn't really love this book :\ I do think it sounds interesting, though ;p Alex at least sounds amazing. <3 Thank you for sharing :)
    Thank you for commenting on my WoW. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh noooooo! this sux! I loved that cover but truth be told,I wasn't eager to read the novel either. However, I was expecting to maybe read good reviews about it and then, add it to my list. XD

    Anyways, take care sweetheart! hoe you are doing awesome <3 ^^

    and thanks for the honest thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i hope it doesn't drag too bad since i have this for review also. And I hate insta love but I'm hoping it works out like you said.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0