Tuesday, November 06, 2012 12:33

Top 10 Tuesday (21). Vivid worlds/settings.


This week our topic is: a freebie! I picked:

Top Ten Most Vivid Worlds/Settings in Books.

1. The magical world of Harry Potter. J.K Rowling uses so many details in the Harry Potter books. From the way they can transport (Thestrals, Flu powder and Apparate are my favorites), the different food (chocolate frogs with the moving wizard cards, yeah), the secrets in Hogwarts and the places they visit to the vivid characters.

2. The world of Tamir - Lynn Flewelling; Skala. Tobin is actually a girl, hidden inside a male body by dark magic. She must be protected, because she is the girl from the prophecy. She/he is haunted by a ghost and she has no idea what is waiting for her in the future. The land is plunged into darkness and is suffering under the hand of King Erius. In the beginning is a map and I have a weak spot for maps.

Schaduwen boven Ulldart (De donkere tijd, #1)3. The dark times - Markus Heitz; Ulldart. Such a shame that these books aren't translated into English. There are 9 books and they are fantastic! Detailed, rich and filled with amazing characters. There are several story lines and the world of Ulldart is a wonderful place to stay. The main story tells about a prophecy which claims that The Dark Times will return.
And there are maps in every book and a list with names. Heitz is a true genius. I've read these books in a short time, because the quality is high. They never get boring and I love them so much + the covers are SO pretty.


4. The seven waters - Juliet Marillier. A beautiful house in an enchanted forest, do I need to say more? This is the place where everything starts. As you all know, I'm a huge fan of Marillier's writing style. Her books have a Celtic influence and it's just magical. All her characters are admirable. They are flawed, but also strong and loving. There are several other places and ever time I read those books, I can see them in my head: like I'm walking right there. There is also a map and a list with names and words.

5. The court of The Tudors - Philippa Gregory. It's a delicious place in books. Gregory does a wonderful job at sketching life at court. Everybody is trying to gain more power and money - and they will do anything to achieve that. There are no true friends. You can trust no one, because they will stab you in the back if they have to. Intrigues, plotting, a King who can't make up his mind, I love it!

Lycidas (Oeroude Metropool, #1)6. Ancient Metropole - Christoph Marzi.
Another series that isn't translated into English. I only read Lycidas & Lilith (the other books are still only available in German) and I love it! It's a world which exists under London. It always reminds me a bit of Harry Potter. It's filled with magical (scary) creatures. There are werewolves, fairies, demons, talking rats; name it and it's there. Emily is the main character and she is such an intelligent, sweet girl. Together with her best friend Aurora and new made friends, she must unravel the mystery that is going on. Why are there so many disappearing children?


7. The forest of hands and teeth - Carrie Ryan. Not a place where I would like the live, but it's a beautiful creation. It's a dark place with scattered cities, ruled by The Sisterhood. Everybody believes that they are the only survivors, but it appears that there is a world behind the gate. Most of the world is filled with Unconsecrated, moaning for flesh, but there is more. The descriptions are incredible.

8. The treachery of beautiful things - Ruth Frances Long. Forget those sweet faeries, this is the real deal. They are beautiful, but deadly. They are selfish, but they live in a gorgeous palace in a forest. There are so many creatures there and the details made this place very vivid.

9. The Fey kingdoms from The Iron Fey - Julie Kagawa. First; it's Julie. If you want a great world-building, you must read her books. Second; I want to meet Puck & Grimalkin, so we can be best friends. Third; the different courts sound fantastic and I would love to visit them.

10. The world of the fairy tales - Several authors. Wouldn't it be amazing to walk besides Cinderella when she visits the ball? Or to live with Snow White and the seven dwarfs? Or to watch Belle and the Beast dance together?

So, tell me all about your freebie!

40 comments:

  1. I'm always surprised at how many books aren't translated into English. Wish they were!

    Some of the best books I've ever read are short books you can read in a night. Here's my Top Ten Best One-Night Reads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read Harry Potter and The Iron Fey on this list, but I agree with you completely on those! I'll have to check out some of the other books on that list, world-building is one of my favorite elements when I'm reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea for Harry Potter! (I just had to get that off my chest). I also find it a shame that more books aren't translated into other languages (and not just English), there are so many amazing novels out there and find it tragic that they can't be shared with more people. On that note, I must say you have a wonderful list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh dude I have to check these out! Vivid world building is by far what makes a book my fav. The Iron Fey series has been on my shelves for ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I've only read two of these series (HP & Iron Fey), but I agree with the amazing way the setting/world is described.

    Thanks for stopping by Book Sojourner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the worlds of both Harry Potter and the Iron Fey. Great picks!

    Thanks for stopping by our Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! The Dark Times looks very interesting, it's too bad it isn't translated into English. It's times like these that I wish I was quick in picking up new languages so I can read them! xP (slowly getting there with Italian, but still lol)

    Here's my Top Ten for this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great TTT topic choice & GREAT list! I (obviously) couldn't agree with you more with you number 1 choice. The Magical world of Harry Potter is by far my top pick for favorite magical world ♥ Definitely agree on the world of Fairy Tales as well :) The Seven Waters series & The Iron Fay series are pretty high up on my reading list! Can't wait to get into both! Thanks for sharing. Old follower, here's my TTT this week.

    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you added the fairy tale world; I love fairy tales! Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your topic, world building is so important and I appreciate all the great recs. I've heard good things and Juliet Marillier's & Philippa Gregory's books. And I've had my eye on The Treachery of Beautiful Things so I'm glad to hear the world-building is well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aaah I accidentally deleted your comment! :( My phone and I don't always get along... But thanks so much!
    And I've only read Harry Potter from your list, but that one is insane! World building is such an important part of the story and when it's so brilliantly developed... Best of the best <3

    Judith @ Paper Riot

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am dying to read The Forest of Hands and Teeth. One of these days I am just going to have to bite the bullet and do it.

    Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did this few months ago and my first place also was the magical world of Harry Potter :) I mean we could never forget it :) Great list I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Harry Potter has to be a must for me too. There is no other world I know better. :) I love Julie Kagawa's settings too! She is very imaginative and always manages to get her ideas across so vividly.

    Awesome choices, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list. I'd looove to live in HP world, I'd be hanging around Hogmeade all the time :D

    Thanks for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read most of these so I'll have to check it out :) Love fairy-tales and their settings! Thanks for stopping by my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  17. I definitely agree with HP, The Iron Fey, and the world of fairy tales! I had a few trifles with the Iron Fey series, but the world-building is absolutely astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love vivid worlds - great list. There are several I need to read on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't read a lot of your picks, but I definitely agree with the Iron Fey setting! Great topic choice Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cool list! I would love to visit fairy tale worlds!! Like Neverland or Alice in Wonderland!! Those are great worlds! Although Hogwarts is the best :) Thanks for stopping by My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  21. I totally agree with Carrie Ryan and Julie Kagawa's worlds! SO vivid!!

    I really want to try the Seven Waters series though! It sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi!
    Great list topic! I DEF agree with the ones I've read, Nevernever, Hogwarts, and the forest of hands and teeth! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Harry Potter! Forever and always the best world building. I still need to read The Iron Fey series but I like seeing it make your list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't read all of these, but I definitely agree with Harry Potter (that's why I love the movies, it portrait the same world I had imagined), and the Iron Fey world. Great list!

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great topic!

    I love the world J.K. created in those books. Magical and so easy to lose yourself in.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great list! I totally agree with Harry Potter and the Iron Fey, and I love that you have the fairy tale worlds on your list too! I definitely need to read some of the other books that are on your list :)
    Thanks for checking out my TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm reading The Iron Queen right now. I love how Kagawa has portrayed the Summer and Winter courts. I'd also like to snuggle Grimalkin to bits, but he'd probably rip me to shreds. :)

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love TFHT!!!!!

    I need to read my 1st Gregory historical.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would definitely have to agree that the world of Harry Potter is by FAR the absolutely best world setting I have ever read about. Of course the movies helped out a TON as well. I mean, I don't think there was ever a time where I didn't think that the world of Harry Potter wasn't real. I grew up in that world right alongside them and they will always be some of the best friends I have ever had. LOL... I know that's deep for fictional characters, but when you grow up with a series over a 10 year period of time, it hard NOT to feel like they are real.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier, returning some of the love <3.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I agree with so many of these! Harry Potter's world and Sevenwater and Tudor England (though Gregory did have an easier time here considering it was a real place!). I loved this prompt when I did it a while back. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't know a lot of these settings, but I agree about Hogwarts 110% :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Besides Daughter of Smoke and Bone's Prague and Elsewhere (just finished it - it's AMAZING), I'd have to add Tamora Pierce's Tortall and Emelan worlds, as well as Kristen Cashore's lands in Graceling, Fire & Bitterblue. What I wouldn't give to explore those worlds - even with my aversion to the outdoors ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I completely agree with you on HP! It's so amazing! If only it were real :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I agree with HP and The Iron Fey! The Forest of Hands and Teeth was also a very crazy setting thought I have to agree about not wanting to go there!

    Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great picks here! I want to check The world of tamir! It sounds amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. I definitely agree with you on HP. Fantastic world-building there. But most of these I have not read and I am a huge advocate of strong settings so I hope I can get to them too. This is a great topic and I am glad you chose it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Harry Potter FOR SURE.
    And of course the Nevernever! Good list!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I've read the HP series (up to novel 5) and The Treachery of Beautiful Things and I agree that they do have amazing settings. The visual you get from reading them makes you feel like you're actually in the book. The experience is breath taking:D Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great list! I haven't read a lot of these, but I completely agree about the fairy tales! Love! I really liked the world building in HP too & I just started reading the Iron Fey books for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I really like your top ten, Mel! Pity Lycidas hasn't been translated into English yet, it caught my eye straight away! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0