Thursday, November 15, 2012 13:55

Review 96. Julie Kagawa – The lost prince.

The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #1)Title: The lost prince.
Author: Julie Kagawa.
Pages: 379.
Published: October 23rd 2012.
Publisher: Harlequin Teen.
ISBN: 0373210574 (ISBN13: 9780373210572)
Sort: Part one “Call of the Forgotten”
Part five “The iron Fey.”
Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them. That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for. Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

It was pretty obvious that this book is the start of a new series – and that makes me very happy! It’s wonderful to return to the world of the iron Fey. Seeing Meghan, Puck, Grimalkin and Ash made me realize how much I missed them. I hope they will play a bigger role next time. You can't have too much Puck and Grimalkin!

Summary.
Ethan is not a normal teenager. His half-sister is queen of the iron Fey and he is cursed with “the Sight.” Which practically means that the faeries are ruining his life. In order to keep a low profile from the faeries, he tries to stay away from people. There is only one girl who isn’t scared by his bad temper: Mackenzie, also known as Kenzie.

When a half-breed named Todd asks for Ethan’s help, things are starting to get out of control. Especially when Todd disappears. Ethan keeps seeing faeries he never saw before – what are they and what are they doing here? When Ethan ignores a warning from one of them, the real trouble starts. He ends up in Nevernever together with Kenzie.

He finally meets Meghan again and when she doesn’t listen to him, Ethan decides that he must find Todd before it is too late. Together with Keirran, a half-elf, Razor, a gremlin and Kenzie, he embarks on a difficult journey to find out who these Forgotten are – and what they are doing to the disappearing exiles and half-breeds.

Opinion.
First of all: we all know that Kagawa knows how to write a good story. The world-building is great. It always felt like I was walking besides Ethan and his new made friends. She also knows how to create believable characters and a good male POV. I totally understood Ethan’s bitterness, even when he sometimes went too far in his hate. He is blinded by his anger for Meghan, but he slowly starts to open up for the world that is part of him.

"Now, before I start screaming, will someone – you or the talking cat or a freaking flying goat, I don’t care – please tell me what the hell is going on?”

Kenzie was great! She is brave and an equal match for Ethan. I did question her behaviour sometimes, but it became clear at the end. I love how their feelings got enough time to develop, so don’t be scared about instant-love (and thank you Kagawa, no love-triangle!)
I can’t write this review without mentioning Razor, the gremlin. What a cutie! You just have to love this little guy. The Forgotten are very creepy and unique. They made a great plot, even when the pace was a bit slow sometimes.

Conclusion: it was a good start from a new series, but definitely not the best book from the iron Fey so far. I’m looking forward to the next book.

Mel4

20 comments:

  1. I have this but I'm so afraid of being disappointed. I read all of the Iron Fey books, but I really thought it should have stopped at The Iron Queen. Sometimes I don't need a HEA to be happy with a series. But that's my problem. :P I had moved The Lost Prince down in my pile, but your review has made me rethink that move. Sounds like it's every bit as good as her other novels, so despite my reservations, I still think I'll enjoy it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really liked this! I haven't the Iron Fey series, and I read The Lost Prince first. I also agreed with the pace between slow, and I liked Ethan. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it as I was quite happy with it myself. I just love that Julie managed to confront us with a completely new storyline despite the "old" world. :) Looking forward to the next installment. Lovely review! :)

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah!!! I've had this one on my TBR shelf FOREVER!!! I REALLY need to read it!! I love the Iron Fey series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eekers! I so have to read some Julie books I feel sort of ashamed that I'm a Julie virgin! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I was so relived there wasn't a love triangle too! I loved the worldbuilding in this one also, but also agree that it's not the best book yet. Oh and there is no such thing as too much Puck and Grim. ;)

    Lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen reviews for this a lot within the past few weeks. Haven't read the series yet, but am looking forward to it! I read her book, The Immortal Rules a few weeks back and really enjoyed it. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to finish this series. Only read the first one! Your review makes me wanna buy the second one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in the same situation as Megan.. I haven't read The Iron Fey series but I read and LOVED The Immortal Rules! I need to get started on The Iron Fey so I can join the club!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still have yet to read this! I am counting down the days until I am able to. Great review though, didn't give too much away! Thank you for following I am now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally want to read this one. I am thinking of getting the whole series.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still haven't started reading this series. I know! Why? I just saw this book around a lot of blogs and I wanted something different. But, I really want to start reading them. They sound fantastic. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The reviews have been all over the place for this one! I love Kagawa's writing, but I'm worried that I might find Ethan slightly infuriating. Nevertheless, revisiting these characters and their world makes it worthwhile.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so want to read this one! Amazing review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read the Iron Fey series yet... but I did ask for it for Christmas, so hopefully Santa is good to me this year!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh so glad to hear you enjoyed this Mel as I plan on reading it later this month. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vivian the Spirit says: Lovely review, Mel! I quite liked this one myself, though I agree with Maja, that I'm seeing plenty of mixed reviews for this one! Kenzie, unfortunately, didn't strike me as toooooo likeable, but hopefully, I'll grow to like her too. The cameos of the original cast was fantastic though, and OMG, who can resist Razor?! XD Glad to hear that you enjoyed this one, Mel, but I agree with you 100%, that I think this series is only starting and Julie still has a lot of growing space here. POOF!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've seen some mixed reviews for this one but since I haven't read this one or any of The Iron Fey books, I'm not sure which way I'd lean towards. I do think a lot of people end up comparing the two series which I guess is a little unfair but obviously is also understandable. Regardless, great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I could never get into the Iron Fey series and fairies are my least favourite paranormal creature to read about, BUT, your review is wonderful and very convincing. :) I may just give it a go, now..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Julie Kagawa definitely has a way with words. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I loved it, too. Aha, Razor! One of the cutest creatures in fiction I've ever read of. :) Yes, Kenzie definitely was a match for Ethan. I just didn't feel much chemistry between them, though...

    Great review, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0