Wednesday, November 28, 2012 21:12

Review 100. Cassandra Clare – City of Bones.

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)Title: City of Bones.
Author: Cassandra Clare.
Pages: 485.
Published: March 27th 2007.  
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books.
Sort: Part one of ‘The mortal instruments.’
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know.

Rating:

After seeing the amazing trailer I talked about in Fairytale News 3 I had to read the book. And I am so glad I did, because I liked it! There were some little things that bothered me, but it was a good story.

Summary.
Clary’s life is pretty normal until she sees something nobody else can see. She can look through the Glamour from Shadowhunters and their target; demons. When she encounters Jace and his friends, they are very surprised. How is it possible that a “Mundie” can see them?
Not long after their meeting, Clary is attacked in her home by a strange animal – and her mother Jocelyn is gone. Jace takes her to his mentor Hodge at the Institute and they tell her more about this whole new world. There are Downworlders, like faeries and vampires, and Shadowhunters, a line from the Angels. They fight against demons to keep the humans, or ‘Mundies’ safe.

It appears that Valentine has returned. A Shadowhunter who is supposed to be dead. He once made his own group called ‘The circle,’ because he wants to purify the world by killing everything that isn’t human. The Clave made rules about that and now he wants to build his own army with the Mortal Cup. One problem: he doesn’t know where it is and he suspects that Clary mother knows it’s location.

Nothing will ever be the same when Clary starts to find more information about her and her mother’s life. Can she save Jocelyn before it is too late?

Opinion.

“Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.”

 
Let me start by saying that I fell in love with Jace and his strange sense of humour. He must be the most adorable jackass I have ever met. There is something about him I really liked. Behind his attractive smiles, there is a broken boy. Clary also surprised me. She stood up for herself and even when she doesn’t make the most clever decisions all the time, she does it with a good intention. I was glad to see that she wasn’t such a whiner and I liked her conversations with Jace.

The story was nice. I liked the idea of Shadowhunters in our world and the use of all the ‘creatures’ like werewolves and demons. There was a steady pace, action and a bit of romance. The plot was well-done and I was baffled by the ending. You could say that I did not see THAT coming. At all. I can honestly say that I wasn’t even happy with it and I hope that I’m right about my suspicion that it’s going to change. I definitely can’t wait to continue this series.
Mel1

39 comments:

  1. Adorable Jackson! HaHa! That's how I would describe Jace too. The ending was shocking, and unexpected. I was so mad at it, but don't worry, things will definitely change. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *JackASS Why did I said Jackson? JACKASS

      Delete
    2. Haha.
      I'm so glad to hear that things are going to change!

      Delete
  2. I have to start this series. Thank for the great review and reminder to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most adorable jackass describes Jace incredibly well! I can barely remember the ending of this book because I read it so long ago, but I think I know what you're talking about. But keep reading...

    Awesome review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep reading! Already started the second book :)

      Delete
  4. Adorable Jackass -- love that!
    I read the first three books then fell behind. But I really did enjoy this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can read all the books in a short time to catch up :p

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you liked it! I'm about halfway through and I'm really enjoying it as well. Think I might just need to read the rest of the series too! :) Really curious about what's happening at the end right now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear what you think about the ending!

      Delete
    2. So yeah I just finished and let me just say: WOW, I did NOT see that coming!! The last hundred pages or so changed my opinion from 'it was pretty good' to 'I really liked it'! Now I need more.

      Delete
    3. I had exactly the same thing! I need to find out if it's true or if I'm right..

      Delete
  6. I'm currently reading, well actually listening to, this right now! I'm towards the end and totally loving it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you liked City of Bones. I still think this is my favorite Cassandra Clare book (but I haven't read City of Lost Souls, yet). When I read it, I hadn't heard anything about it. I just liked the cover. I mean, the guy is cute, and he doesn't look like a teen so I can justify that (since I'm not a teen).

    I could not put it down. I stayed up way too late reading it, and I didn't see that coming either. If I think back on it, I think there is foreshadowing, but I was so involved in the basic plot, I didn't pick up on it.

    I cannot wait for the movie. The trailer makes me think that Jamie Campbell Bower gets Jace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also stayed up way too late.. If I didn't have to go to school, I would have read it in one read :p

      Delete
  8. I didn't really like reading this particular novel. (Must be an anomaly.) I did enjoy the basic plot though, so I'm excited to see how this translates to the big screen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha 'adorable jackass' is a good fit :D While I can't say I'm a huge fan of this series, I can SO appreciate why everyone loves it! And I am SUPER excited for the movie. It looks soo good! I'm really glad you loved this and I hope you enjoy the rest of the series just as much :) Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! The second book starts great :) Thanks for stopping by Brodie!

      Delete
  10. I've always heard this was a good series! I'll have to pick it up someday. I love the quote! Sounds like it shows his personality quite perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read any of this author's books but I know people adore her. I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked City of Bones a lot! I read a few months ago, actually :) Also, I loved City of Ashes. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now reading book 2 and I also love it! :)

      Delete
  13. EEEEEEEEEEEEEE YAY!!! SO SO HAPPY you read City of Bones, Mel! I truly adored this series but I might have loved The Infernal Devices series more ;) Absolutely can't wait for the movie to come out next year!

    Awesome review, Mel ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to read The Infernal Devices after I finish this series. I have the first book on my shelves :)

      Delete
  14. Nice review! I really enjoyed the first 3 books of this series (I won't comment on the rest bhaha) I loved Jace and the humor in the series is great! The ending also caught me off guard! Hope you enjoy the rest of the series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I really enjoy the second book too. His humor is the best thing about these books.

      Delete
  15. I liked the third book in the series the most but I love them all. Can't wait for the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review! Have you read the others in the series? Also, have u seen the trailer for the upcoming movie? :)

    Awesome Blog.
    Alex @ Possession of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now reading the second book and I've started this book because of the trailer :) Thanks!

      Delete
  17. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I skimmed through the series (it never really caught my eye), but Jace and the humor was definitely one of the highlights :) I'm really curious to see what you think of the next few books!

    Great review :)

    Chri @ Ink Skies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely let you know. I'm almost done with the second book :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  18. YAY! :D Awesome review. <3 Sigh. So glad you loved this book :) Sniffs. Jace is so amazing. <3 There is some more heartbreak in book two and book three. But from the middle of the third book things get better ;) sort of :D it is my favorite book of them all :) hope you'll love the rest of the books. <3
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  19. I started reading this yesterday and couldn't finish it! I found it horrible. Something must be wrong with me :-(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0