Thursday, November 22, 2012 13:25

Review 98. Gennifer Albin – Crewel.

Crewel (Crewel World, #1)Title: Crewel.
Author: Gennifer Albin.
Pages: 368.
Published: October 16th 2012.
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Sort: Part one of “Crewel World.”
Source: eARC from Netgalley & the publisher Faber & Faber.
Incapable. Awkward. Artless.
That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: she wants to fail. Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But if controlling what people eat, where they live and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested. Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and wove a moment at testing, and they’re coming for her—tonight. Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her Dad’s stupid jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape. Because once you become a Spinster, there’s no turning back.
Rating:

This book has to be one of the most unique and different books I’ve read so far. There is really no other book I can think off that follows such a storyline. So if you are looking for something else, this is definitely the book you want to pick up.

“But someday my parents will explain what Spinsters really do - that no matter how good their intentions, with absolute power comes corruption.”

The idea of a world build upon another world by the hand of The Guild is fascinating. The Creweller provides the raw material, so the Spinsters can weave. They are in total control. From the weather to the amount of babies every family can get; your entirely life is in their hands. They can take your thread out of the weave if it becomes fragile - and within seconds you disappear into nothing. This all happens in a loom; a special machine that shows the threads.

You can see that the world-building was phenomenal, but I became slightly bored towards the end. I wished that there was more story than explanations about the world and weaving. All I really got was Adelice and her love-triangle (yes, unfortunately) with Eric and Jost, combined with a little bit of plotting for an escape. She started as a great character, but slowly I noticed little irritation points. For example: Josten just told her about his tragic story and all she can think of is:

“I cry because I'm a stupid girl who can't curb the jealousy and inferiority I feel towards Rozenn for getting him first.”
 
Really? He revealed an important piece of his life and this is the first you think of? I also questioned the fact that everybody admired her and her courage, but when you think of it, there is nothing brave about her. Oh well, the story was entertaining enough and the end makes me curious about the next book. It was very surprising and I didn’t see it coming.

Have you read the book? What are your thoughts about it? And if you haven’t read it, are you going to?
Mel4

40 comments:

  1. Um. Adelice's first thought after Josten told her his story is very... um, strange. I personally think that it doesn't matter whether you get him first or second or third... in the end, it's you who's getting him, right? :P Aside from that, the world in Crewel does sound very interesting! I read mixed reviews on this one, but I'm glad that you enjoyed it, Mel! <3 :)

    I don't think that I would read this book anytime soon, especially since I've read about the dreaded love triangle. :D Thank you for the helpful and honest review, Mel! Amazing review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's especially a weird thought once you know the real story ;) You're welcome!

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy that you enjoyed this even though you had a few quirks with it. I read it a while ago so I don't remember extremely well but I loved the world building the most. The more you advance in the story the more mind blowing it is. Lovely review, chickie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still remember your review! It made me so excited to try it out :)

      Delete
  3. I've seen so many reviews for this lately, and I'm so glad you're one of the ones who enjoyed it. I really hope to read this sometime soon :) The world building sounds amazing; too bad the ending was somewhat slow. It sounds great, awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, it's just better to read a book despite the negative reviews. I like it when a book manages to surprise me :D

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, I really like the world building. It's so different and interesting. I need to read this book soon. Thanks for the amazing review :)Oh, and I love when the story has surprising ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you're definitely going to love this ending! :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't read this but it sounds great so I'd like to get round to reading it eventually. It's ashame that Adeline and the plot start to go down hill towards the end. The world building sounds amazing as well as the unexpected ending. I'm glad that you still enjoyed it though, even if you had a little trouble with it. At least Crewel made for an entertaining read! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely entertaining and the world-building was dazzling enough :D

      Delete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog; I returned the follow :)

    I was absolutely blown away by the ending-I have no idea where Albin might take the series next but I'm very interested to find out! Instead of feeling frustrated by the cliffhanger, I'm eagerly anticipating the second book, which is always a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow!

      I honestly have no idea how this story is going to continue. It agree; it was a good cliffhanger.

      Delete
  7. Yay! So glad you enjoyed this, Mel! I agree, the whole concept of CREWEL is just fascinating, and not to mention totally original!

    I agree with you, though, the romance between Adelice and Jost wasn't exactly great, but it was bearable. I found the whole book quite interesting, especially the end! ARGH, another cliffhanger. I'll have to pick up the sequel now. :)

    Anyway, great review! CREWEL was definitely one of the most unique books I've read in my entire life. Period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, this has to be the most unique concept I've ever seen - so far.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read this book, but I heard a lot about it. A lot of people recommend it, but I'm such a cover addict. ;) I just don't like the cover and I'm not sure if I want to buy the book. How bad is that? lol.

    But, unique and different? Oh men!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I understand what you mean. There are some series I still haven't read, because I hate the cover.. I quite like this one though.

      Delete
  9. I have this book on my nightstand but something keeps me from reading it. Oh, wait - that would be the fifty other books on top of it. But this definitely sounds like such a rich and unique universe, even if the MC might not be a future favorite. I'm going to have to give it a go soon! Thanks for the review!

    --Megan @ Book Brats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know the feeling.. I have so many books waiting for me. The world-building was enough to make me forget about the fact that the MC isn't that exciting :p

      Delete
  10. Noooo, I havent read the book and I have it here ugh! I read mixed reviews about it, so that's why I passed on it but your review really makes me want to read it and Im defintely will! specially with such a phenomenal world-building! =D

    I havent been able to say hi lately. Im on my finals and even though Im around, time is not enough to comment =(

    Anyways, hope you are doing great sweeheart! thnx for the wonderful review!

    Muah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear what you think about Crewel once you read it :) And I hope you are doing great with your finals! x

      Delete
  11. I can see why some of this bugged you, but it does seem entertaining enough to read. I think it's the world and I'm curious about it. I'm not too happy about the heroine, but maybe she will grow when the series continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she has great potential, so I hope that she will develop even more :)

      Delete
  12. I totlly agree. I really liked this book. The world building was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't see the ending coming either so I was very impressed with it! It opens up exciting possibilities for the sequel. :) I'm really glad you enjoyed this book too, Mel! I agree about the love triangle, though the rest satisfied me enough to make up for it.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to see how this is going to continue. It was a great cliff-hanger.

      Delete
  14. YAY to Crewel! I read this a while ago but did enjoy the interesting premise. The concept of weaving time was very creative and I can't wait for the sequel ;)

    Awesome review, Mel ♥ Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love it when an author can come up with something creative.

      Delete
  15. Yeah, this sure sounds unique! I am having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the concept actually, haha. Sorry to hear the MC gets a bit annoying towards the end though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit hard in the beginning, but once you are sucked in the story, the concept makes sense! :)

      Delete
  16. I'm reading this at the moment and really enjoying it so far, definitely a unique book :)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear your opinion once you are done :)

      Delete
  17. Awesome review!! I had some very similar thoughts about the book! I agree with you completely that it is one of the most unique books I have ever read. There's nothing else like it! The love triangle was definitely a bummer though. I just remember being kind of apathetic about the whole thing.

    P.S. Your blog background totally makes me happy!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new background makes me also very happy :D

      I was glad that the concept was good enough to make me forget a little bit about the love-triangle. But it would have been a perfect book without it.

      Delete
  18. I have this book sitting on desk waiting to be read..one of these days I will get to around to it! Great review Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think when you've read it! :)

      Delete
  19. I haven't read this book yet! But there is time to read it, isn't there? lol I love how you loved the world building. And I'm kind of sad that there is a love triangle :/
    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely time enough to read it :)

      Delete
  20. I really loved this one! I'm happy to see that even though you had some issues with it, you enjoyed it overall as well. The world was amazing!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Seems like you really liked the world building but wasn't as taken with Adelice. Which I agree I really wasn't impressed by her as a main character.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0