Monday, November 12, 2012 00:58

Review 94. Alethea Kontis – Enchanted.

EnchantedTitle: Enchanted.
Author: Alethea Kontis.
Pages: 305.
Published: May 8th 2012.
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books.
Sort: Stand-alone.
It isn't easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true. When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.
The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past - and hers?
Rating:

“All of us heal in time. The strongest are born again. We only keep the scars we choose to keep.”

If your looking for a book that is made by kneading together various fairytales, then your search is over. This story was so much fun! We have the happy family consisting of four daughters (Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday), a son called Peter and an adopted son Trix. There used to be seven daughters and a son called Jack, but you will have to find out about them yourself.

Sunday is the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter: and therefore, she is doomed to live a happy life. Her talent is writing. Unfortunately, everything she writes down has the tendency to come true. One day, Sunday meets a frog. They become friends until she breaks the curse that was placed upon Rumbold, the prince. He returns to his palace and he announces a ball. Her family hates the Royal Family and Rumbold wants to make sure that Sunday falls in love with him as a person: not only as a frog.

Troubles are starting when the King lays his eyes on Wednesday. He reminds her of his true love, the fairy godmother Sorrow. The king and Sorrow have a gruesome plan in order to keep his youth and power. Rumbold must do anything to rescue Wednesday before it is too late.

Opinion.
“She needed him to keep her sane, to make her laugh, to feel complete.”

I love how every character got their own personality. Besides Sunday, I really appreciated Saturday. She is a woodsman like her father and she hates dancing and the fancy balls. At the end of the book, she is even trying to learn how to handle a sword! Sunday is a sweet girl and she will do anything to keep her family safe. It was nice to see how happy this family is, despite the losses they have suffered. They have their struggles, but they love each other anyway.

I didn’t really connect with Rumbold (therefore 4.5 instead of 5 hearts), but he was a good match to Sunday. Their love blossoms when they meet as a girl and a frog, isn’t that great?

The storyline is awesome and the plot is wonderful. It was so much fun to figure out all the fairytales! The use of those stories is perfectly executed. The writing-style is fast paced, the world-building is good and I couldn’t stop reading this book. I can’t wait to read more from this author.


15 comments:

  1. I liked Enchanted but I didn't love it. I'll definitely revisit it with my daughter when she's a little older, but I think I prefer a more intense retelling. This was supremely cute, and for some reason, I don't do cutesie all that well when it comes to books. :( Great review...glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I have yet to read this one but have had it since its release! Cannot wait to read it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab review! I've heard some interesting things about this book. Can't say I'll read it any time soon but it does sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEEEEEEEEES! I love it when we have the same opinion about books! I LOVED this book! it is one of my favorite of this year =D Too bad you didnt connect to Rumbold, but to be honest, I didnt really felt i love with the prince, but rather with the frog. I LOVED the froggy version for the prince. <3 Btw, Alethea is writing the companions! From Monday to Saturaday! yay! I hope they all get published! fingers crossed ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a wonderful and magical story. I've seen this around but have never really checked to see what it was about. It sounds really sweet. Great review Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I was just doing a bit of blog hopping and wanted to say hi! I would love for you to stop by for a visit and follow if you would like! :) Here's the link: MaMa's Book Corner I hope to hear from you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! Awesome review :D So glad you loved this book. <3 I thought it was amazing :) I adore fairytale books. <3
    Thank you for commenting on my WoW. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so enjoy fairytale retellings, and I've had this book on my list for a really long time. I just need to make time for it:) Too bad you didn't quite connect to Rumbold as much as you wanted, but overall this sounds like a winner:) Thanks for the review Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can be difficult to please when it comes to fairy-tale retelling but I really enjoyed this one as it was so clever and sweet. I felt the same way about Rumbold but liked the two of them together overall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for good fairy tale retellings! I've been super excited for this one but still haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Can't wait though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought this one had a bit of a younger tone to it but still really enjoyed it too, Mel, because I love fairytales and this one incorporated a lot of them. At the beginning, I found it so hard to keep track of the sisters - I had to keep going back to the rhyme - but by the end, I felt that they all had different personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, so glad you loved this one! Me too. I want more mashed-together-fairy-tale-books! :D Also, I loved Trix. He was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of those books that I was eager to read and couldn't wait for it, but then another books came and I forgot about it. Too bad cause from your review it sounds great. I should find some time for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must admit that I hadn't been too eager to read Enchanted, but your review makes it sound absolutely fun and wonderful. Fairytales are a weak spot for me so I'll definitely have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vivian the Spirit says: I couldn't resist coming back to read and comment on this one, because for the very first time, I think, we're disagreeing on a fairytale book >_< I personally just could not get into this one and had to push myself through to finish it, but I'm really happy that you enjoyed it this much! Even though I didn't personally like it, it definitely was a sweet story with a lovely heroine <3 Great review, Mel! POOF!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0