Saturday, November 03, 2012 14:08

Review 91. Stephanie Perkins – Anna and the French kiss.

Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) Title: Anna and the French kiss.
Author: Stephanie Perkins.
Pages: 372.
Published: December 2nd 2010 by Dutton.
Sort: Part one of ‘Anna and the French kiss.’
Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home. As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?
Rating:  

“The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.”
 
Anna’s parents are divorced and her rich father believes he has a great idea: he puts Anna in a boarding school in Paris. He tells her it will be a wonderful experience, but all Anna thinks about is what she leaves behind. A good job, a best girlfriend, her little brother and her crush.

On her first day, she meets Meredith and her friends: especially Étienne St. Clair. He is this perfect boy every girl wants to be with – and every boy wants to be him. He has the looks, the popularity and the personality. Only downfall is his egocentric dad who keeps Étienne away from his sick mother.

Anna starts to fall in love with him, but there is a little problem: he has a girlfriend, Ellie, and he isn’t planning on breaking up with her. He doesn’t want to be lonely and he is afraid for his mother. Will they ever get together or will Anna stay with her fling Dave?

Opinion.
As you can see, I wasn’t blown away by this book. This is the main reason why I try to stay away from hypes; most of the time, they don’t deliver. Was it cute? Definitely. Did I like the writing-style? Yes, I did. So, let me tell you why my rating is low.

1. Anna. Like all the other girls, she falls in love with Étienne’s looks right away. But, she is actually pretty easy with her feelings, because Dave is also in the picture – and not to forget the crush in her hometown. She develops a friendship with Étienne, but she keeps whining that his gorgeous looks distract her and that she wants more. What she had to do was stay the hell away from him, because he has a girlfriend.
2. Étienne. The perfect boy who has everything, but to make the storyline a bit more complex, throw in a sick mother and a bad father. Girls swoon around him and he never got the guts to tell Meredith that he doesn’t like her. Poor, naive girl. He stays into this bad relationship with Ellie, because he is afraid to be alone? Yeah, alright. I don’t like these perfect, pretty boys and he just wasn’t fair to Ellie and Anna.
3. All. the. drama. Anna and Étienne keep walking around each other in endless circles, making a lot of fuss and drama in the meantime. Fighting, staying friends, wanting more, fighting, blablabla. Just get on with it already! You like him, he likes you, the end. I have the feeling I actually read the same thing over and over again until they finally made their decision.
4. Alcohol. I don’t like drinking, but I know that it’s something personal. What I find distracting was the fact that the author made it seem like it’s perfectly normal to get wasted. Anna has never been drunk before and I liked that about her, but after the whole puke-and-lose-my-memory-situation I had to roll my eyes.
5. Mean girls and boys. There were so many stereo types. Every girl Anna doesn’t like is a mean girl (Amanda) and every boy Étienne dislikes is a bad guy (Dave). The only people in between are Meredith, Josh and Rashmi; who doesn’t really play a bigger role than making Anna feel better about herself.

I hope that I don’t get all the fan girls hating on me now, haha, because everybody seem to love this book. I guess it’s also because I normally don’t read these type of books. Perhaps Perkins should have thrown in some zombies to make it more spectacular for me ;)

Naamloos

14 comments:

  1. Oh, you know what, your review has really made me look at Anna And The French Kiss with a whole new perspective. I thought the book was super cute and a nice read, but I have to agree with ALL the points that you mentioned! I did feel bad for Meredith and come to think of it, there was drama. ;) Nonetheless, I enjoyed the book when I read it and really great review! :D

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yes there is a lot of drama huh? I'm sad that you didn't love that one as much as I did but at least you didn't seem to have hated it. You made some good points, though. I don't remember a whole lot I read this over a year ago, but stereotypical means girls/boys might annoy me more at this point that back then. Lovely review, regardless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get your negative points about Anna and the French Kiss and I share some of them. Especially about the cheating part, she should have stayed away! But in the end I ended up really enjoying this book because I loved the writing style. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awh, I've heard great things about these books so I'm definitely sad to hear you didn't like it. I still have both of them so I'll definitely read them anyway :P Thanks for being honest though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww.. i hoped you enjoyed it much more! For me, i thought it was just SO MUCH fun! LOL! Despite all the problems, i genuinely enjoyed it! Thanks for your honest review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really honest and fair review, Mel! The reviews for this one has been pretty average and I'm glad you pointed out all the stereotypes in this. Definitely not planning on reading this one myself :/ Thanks for sharing the great review!

    yay, it's Pooh!! I've got stickers with Pooh sleeping just like that XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember I read this last year and didn't really enjoy it at all. I'm still going to have to read the Lola and the Boy Next Door. I hope this one turns out better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's SO nice to find someone who doesn't get the hype for this book at all. I was really looking forward to reading this and when I did, I just hated it. You can check out my review here: http://thesisterstale.blogspot.com/2012/09/review-anna-and-french-kiss-by.html

    Let me know what you think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, the hype of this book was so overwhelming, and was also recommended to me most of the time. some of my good blogger friends did. But like I said its overwhelming that I stay away from it.. then again I wanted to know what the hype was all about especially with Etienne. but from your review, I think it will disappoint me big time.. but im hoping to see it for myself and see how I go. Great review Mel! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read nor do I plan to read this for the exact reasons you mentioned. I'm not a fan of 'perfect' boys, annoying mcs and drama. :/

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw man! Bummer that you duidn't enjoy this book! I haven't actually read it yet but I saw so many rave reviews so I really wanted to read it. I might not end up reading this book now. Going through yoru list, it sounds like many of those things might really bother me too. And I'm also not a big fan of drinking. I can tolerate it in some books but stacked up against all the other stuff, this book just might not be for me!

    Really great review! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. For all the reasons you didn't like it, I think may be reasons that I will ilke it! Haha. It sounds like an ABC Family drama and I am currently addicted to those. And for some reason it also reminds me of the French film Lol (which I completely and totally adore!)

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked this one but never loved it like some people mainly because I hated that Etienne couldn't get the guts to break up with his girlfriend. I'm not a big fan of cheaters :) Great review, Mel!

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, Mel! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.
    I'm TOTALLY a fangirl, but I promise I'm not hating on you. I think you make a bunch of very valid points ;)

    I'd say I'd enjoyed it despite these things but... I didn't notice them while reading, if you know what I mean? I got so caught up in the romance and craziness and Paris I didn't notice but... what I mean is, I didn't notice then, but you point them out now and I'm liike 'heeeeeey. That's kind of... a good point.'

    My best friend didn't like Anna, either. And I kind of love hearing when people don't love a book I did (or vice versa), because then we all get to discuss, and that's what I love most about Book Blogging!

    WONDERFUL review, even if it your thing ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0