Sunday, November 25, 2012 15:12

Review 99. Michelle Diener – The emperor’s conspiracy.

The Emperor's ConspiracyTitle: The emperor’s conspiracy.
Author: Michelle Diener.
Pages: 336.
Expected publication: November 27th 2012.
Publisher: Gallery Books.
Sort: Stand-alone.
Review:
In a treacherous court.
Review:
Keeper of the King’s secrets.
Source: I received an ARC from the author.

Chance led to Charlotte Raven’s transformation from chimney sweep to wealthy, educated noblewoman, but she still walks a delicate tightrope between two worlds, unable to turn her back on the ruthless crime lord who was once her childhood protector. When Lord Edward Durnham is tapped to solve the mystery of England’s rapidly disappearing gold, his search leads him to the stews of London, and Charlotte becomes his intriguing guide to the city’s dark, forbidding underworld. But as her involvement brings Charlotte to the attention of men who have no qualms about who they hurt, and as Edward forges a grudging alliance with the dangerous ghosts of Charlotte’s former life, she faces a choice: to continue living in limbo, or to close the door on the past and risk her heart and her happiness on an unpredictable future.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

This was again a book from Diener I really enjoyed. 

Summary.
Charlotte grew up with Lady Howe after her employer left her in the chimney. She always disguised herself as a boy, but Lady Howe gave her a life as a woman. Otherwise, she would still live a hard life on the streets with her friend Luke. He is now a London Crime Lord and he always protects her. Not that Charlotte needs it. This girl is feisty, brave and intelligent enough to safe herself.


When Charlotte attends a ball, she overhears Emma conversation with another woman. She warns Emma about a dark plan and the woman flees with her three boys. Emma tries to get help from her brother Edward. He is a powerful man of the crown, but his behaviour pushes Emma away. Charlotte and Lady Howe are kind enough to let Emma and her boys stay with them as long as she likes.

Edward finds Charlotte and her story interesting. He is trying to gain more information about her and that’s when Luke enters the story. He sees Edward as the enemy and he wants to eliminate him, but Charlotte can interfere with this plan. It seems that Luke is part of a conspiracy. Huge amounts of money are leaving the country, but who is behind this? Edward is trying to find out what is going on and he needs Charlotte. Together, they are trying to save England before it is too late.


Opinion.
Charlotte is a wonderful girl. She grew up as the (bastard) daughter of a prostitute, but she managed to escape the same fate. Lady Howe saved her life by taking her in, but Luke protected her on the streets. Two separate lives combined in one and Luke is giving her a hard time. He loves in a way she can’t return and that is keeping her away from finding a husband.
Luckily, Edward isn’t planning to stay away from her. He is intrigued by Charlotte and they start to fall in love. Their conversations are fun and I loved to see how they grew to each other.


The only problem I had with this story is that it’s sometimes a bit slow. The conspiracy felt more like a background story. I had the idea that this book is more about Charlotte and her struggle with Luke and Edward. It’s very entertaining, don’t get me wrong, but I wished that the mystery played a bigger role. The plot was great though and the writing-style is pleasant. I can’t wait to read another book from Diener.
Mel1

29 comments:

  1. Love the cover:) This, I like to read sometime:) Will definitely add it to my wish list:) Thanks for your review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! The cover is very pretty indeed :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a very interesting book! Haven't read anything like it so far so this might have just convinced me ;)


    Readiculously-Peachy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really like historical but this seems like a really good book. I'm adding it to my TBR!

    I'm a new follower! :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, you always find intriguing historicals I've never heard of!
    Thanks for stopping by ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite it being a little slow at times, it sounds like this book really delivered. And I'll definitely have to check this author out now if her books have been consistently good. Lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do that! I especially like her characters :)

      Delete
  6. Dude a conspiracy should never have to take the backseat to anything! Thanks for your review, I'm a sucker for historical fiction (about bastard children) so I'm excited to read it!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but the story itself was entertaining enough and I liked the plot :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. That's too bad. I think if a novel tries to sell you to intrigue and conspiracy on its summary, it should never take a backseat to anything else that's going in the novel. I'm glad you still found it enjoyable, nonetheless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really good, too bad the conspiracy was not a bigger role :( I love historical fiction and I'm glad you still enjoyed it. Also, the relationship sounds really cute :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you enjoyed this in spite of some of your issues. It seems like a love triangle. I wonder who she chooses. Great review Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't really call it a love triangle. Luke is there because they share their past together, but she can't return her feelings. She is always very clear about that :)

      Delete
  10. This sounds promising enough. I love the time and setting. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This isn't one I've heard of before, but I bet I would wish for more mystery and less love-triangle as well. Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't really call it a love-triangle, because Charlotte is very clear about her feelings for Luke. She is more trying to save Edward from being killed by him :p

      Delete
  12. Ooh, I love YA historical mystery books so that is going on my tbr for sure! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've actually NEVER heard of this book before! The cover is lovely, though, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. :-) The characters - especially Charlotte - sound great, and the whole concept sounds pretty good, even if the story does get kind of slow at points.

    Anyhow, now I've got one extra book to add to be TBR list! Great review as usualy, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy that the ARC has the same cover; it's very pretty :)

      Delete
  14. This sounds like it has a good premise I love conspiracies but I'm not such a fan of slower paced books so it could go either way I guess. I noticed this book just a few days ago so I'm glad to see a review of it I had no idea if it was any good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great review! 1. I love that cover! 2. I love what you wrote about the story!
    I find it annoying when I'm loving a book but then it gets a slow patch, but I guess it's at least ok if it gets the pace back up... otherwise it's sad. (: This sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0