Tuesday, October 02, 2012 13:49

Top 10 Tuesday (17). Older books.


Top 10 "older books" you don't want people to forget about.

I will list some of my favorite books. The ones that could be forgotten with all these amazing new releases every time.

1. Markus Zusak - The book thief. Like always, I have to point this one out. This story is touching. I've read it four times now and every time, I get blown away by his wonderful, flowing writing style.

2. Juliet Marillier - The seven waters series. Luckily, there is coming a new book! Part 6 and it will tell the story of Maeve. I can't wait. These books are.. magical. I always get a warm feeling when I read these books. Everything feels right and her words feel so natural. All her other books are great as well.

Scarlet3. A.C Gaughen - Scarlet. I expected more publicity for this book, but I'm disappointed. I thought it was great! A Robin Hood retelling, how awesome is that? Scarlet is a kick ass girl and the side characters are well-done. Add a fast writing style and that's all you need, right?

4. Adam Gidwitz - A tale dark and Grimm. Part two is coming up, called In a glass Grimmly. This was an original twist to a not-so-popular fairytale. I loved it.

5. Anna Sheehan - A long, long sleep. I was so touched by this story. It was emotional and the main character really grew onto me.

6. Carrie Ryan - The forest of hands and teeth, The dead-tossed waves and The dark and hollow places. My first zombie books and they blew me away.

7. Heather Dixon - Entwined. Dark twist on The twelve dancing princess.

Tiger Lily8. Janet Lee Carey - Dragonswood. Magical, sweet and some great characters all in one.

9. Jodi Lynn Anderson - Tiger Lily. Definitely in my top 3 favorite reads this year. Heartbreaking story.

10. Victoria Schwab - The near witch. I haven't heard many things about this book and I thought it was quite decent. This book managed to enjoy me and I'm looking forward to her new book.

And of course, I don't want to see J.K Rowling - Harry Potter disappearing from the reading world. This series always has a special place in my heart. They never get boring. 
& Also very important: fairytales.

I could go on for a while, because there are so many great books out there, but I will keep it on these 10. Link me up with your list!

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

35 comments:

  1. The Book Thief is such an amazing book, but I don't know if I'm strong enough to read it again! I cried so much the first time that I was dehydrated for a week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read most of these but a few are on my to-read list, this may help move them further up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Book Thief was absolutely fantastic. I don't usually read that type of book, but I couldn't put it down.

    Scarlet sounds really interesting. I love everything Robin Hood-related, but I've never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry Potter is my favourite series ever!! I would love to read Tiger Lily and I have a review copy of Scarlet yet to be picked up, maybe soon... Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Half of these I've read and loved, and half are on my wish list -- great Top 10!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been meaning to read The Near Witch (I have the matching bookmark though!). Great list!

    Followed you back.

    Megan @ Bookworm in Love

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any from your list but The Book Thief is one I'ev been meaning to get to for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I plan to finally start The Forest of Hands and Teeth series this month. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really loved the Forest of Hands & Teeth trilogy. The Book Thief is quite near the top of my "To-read" pile as I've heard many good things about it, but haven't read it yet! A lot of other good picks you have there -- Top Ten Tuesdays always seems to add to my "to-read" list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! Harry Potter definitely! I should have included it on my list. It just slipped my mind.

    I got a huge kick out of A Tale Dark and Grimm myself. I haven't read In a Glass Grimmly yet, but I plan too.

    Fantastic list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo Scarlet seems interesting!

    I'm currently reading The Near Witch and I'm liking it so far. Chilling yet fantastical at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! I really want to read Scarlet, from what I've seen and heard, it's awesome!

    Thanks for stopping by my list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep seeing Tiger Lily on lists, I've got to remember to check that one out! Thanks for the awesome list, and yey Harry Potter. I'm definitely going to be giving those books to my kids some day :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think Harry Potter will ever be forgotten, it's too well loved :)
    Tigerlily sounds good, I've been thinking about it ever since I read a different Peter Pan spin-off story (Forever Neverland).
    Thanks for stopping by My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Am I the only one who hasn't read The Book Thief?

    Also, I think Harry Potter has potential to become a classic, like Narnia.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, I don't come across other Dutchies here that often :) And yes, the Book Thief, aka one of my favorite books ever!
    And after reading about these I really do want to read Tiger Lily and Scarlet. Especially Scarlet! It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have Scarlet on my TBR but I haven't got to it yet - no idea why, everything I hear is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I NEED to read Scarlet. Glad to see you liked it so much! I love Robin Hood, so this one should be right up my alley. (:

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my ... you start your list with a book which has been on my TBR pile for what seems like forever! Better get a read on now, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I completely agree with you on Entwined! It's such a lovely story. Have you ever visited Heather Dixon's blog? It's super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really enjoyed Entwined. It was such a great book. I hope people keep reading it as well.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Near Witch was sooo good, it definitely deserved more attention! I haven't read Tiger Lily yet, it's on my wishlist..I must get it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aah, Tiger Lily and The Book Thief- I love both of them so much! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Scarlet has been on my radar for a while, but the Grimm series is brand new to me! I'll definitely have to add it to my TBR mountain ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Completely awesome list. I need to read many of them. Agree with Fairytales and Harry Potter. =] Thanks for sharing and visiting my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tiger Lily is AMAZING. And A Long, Long Sleep is on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great picks! Thank you for stopping by my page and will see ya next week for TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just read Juliet Marillier's Shadowfell and the mc's voice was great! Will def need to read her other series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Harry Potter should not be forgotten! But I think that will never really happen, or hope actually. It's such an amazing series!
    Thanks for stopping by!

    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yeesh, I STILL haven't read The Book Thief! I know, I know, it's shameful. I'll get around to it, I swear! Thanks for the reminder, great list!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've seen a few people on twitter that have recently read and loved Daughter of the Forest, so I think I need to hurry up and read it. Also, YES, to Carrie Ryan's series!! It almost made my list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hooray! The Book Thief is on my TTT as well, and I LOVED Scarlet! Did you hear she's not against writing a sequel? *happy dance*

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-top-ten-older-books-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is the fourth time in the last two weeks that The Near Witch has popped up. I really must read it! Excellent list!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, this is a GREAT list! I've read several of these and absolutely loved them. (Unfortunately, Scarlet wasn't one of them; she just really got on my nerves!) But Tiger Lily, Entwined and A Tale Dark & Grimm are all on my TBR list, and I can't wait to get to them!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT and sorry for the late reply!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ooh, nice list! I'm rereading The Book Thief later this year for a class, and I can't wait. :) I also really need to read A Tale Dark and Grimm and Dragonswood. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0