Saturday, October 06, 2012 11:43

Review 12. Mette Ivie Harrison - The princess and the bear.

The Princess and the Bear (Princess, #2)
Title: The princess and the bear.
Author: Mette Ivie Harrison.
Pages: 327.
Published: April 28th 2009 (first published April 17th 2009)
Publisher: HarperTeen.
ISBN: 006155314X (ISBN13: 9780061553141)
Sort: Part two of “Princess”
Review part 1: The princess and the hound.
He was once a king, turned into a bear as punishment for his cruel and selfish deeds. She was a once a princess, now living in the form of a hound.  Wary companions, they are sent - in human form - back to a time when magic went terribly astray. Together they must right the wrongs caused by this devastating power--if only they can find a way to trust each other. But even as each becomes aware of an ever-growing attraction, the stakes are rising and they must find a way to eliminate this evil force--or risk losing each other forever.
Rating:

So, the first book wasn’t totally what I expected, but I disliked this one. It was a bit boring and it kept dragging on, while nothing spectacular happened. In the end, there wasn’t so much going on and it was fixed in a rather easy way.

This story is told from the POV of the dog and the bear; every chapter switched between them. The story picks up where the first one left. They are staying together and after a while, there is a friendship between the two. When they find ‘Unmagic’ in the woods, they visit the wild man. He transforms the bear back into his real shape: the human king Richoun. The dog takes also a human body and she will go by the name Chala. They must travel back to his kingdom to stop a war and they must find a solution for the one who is using his ‘Unmagic’.

Opinion.
I felt disconnected from both of these characters. Chala is very distant and she keeps longing for her dog appearance. After a couple of times mentioning how it felt to be a dog, I get the point. There were some interesting things about her. The clever way she sees certain situations and how she stays loyal to the king (due to her dog feelings) But I never got to know her enough. It was slightly better with the king, but I don’t know.. He lacked of something.

The story was, like I said, a bit boring. Especially in the beginning when they are in their animal form. There is nothing going on, they just go on with their life and I kept waiting for something to happen. When they took their human form, I expected the story to pick up, but instead it went down hill. They travel a long time to his kingdom and again, nothing happens. There is some treat of Unmagic, but it stays too much on the background. The last couple of pages had a bit of action, but that wasn’t enough for me. I also missed the magical feeling and I’m really started to wonder if I’m going to read the next one. Perhaps just to finish this series, but I'm not sure.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

6 comments:

  1. Oh no! I hate not being able to connect to the characters it definitely makes a book kind of bleh and with a boring plot line to boot. Hopefully your next read will be better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like I'll be steering clear of this for a while! I know how it feels like when you can't connect with characters AND when the story is boring. Sometimes, I even DNF a book because they lack certain things. :/

    Anyhow, thanks for such a helpful and honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vivian the Spirit says: Sorry to hear this one was such a disappointment, Mel :( It looked really promising and I've had my fair share of boring books like this one as well. Having characters that you couldn't connect with obviously doesn't help either... I think you found the first one pretty mediocre as well..? -remembers your review- Ah well. I'd agree for you to just finish the series since you've made it up to this point. Hope your next read is more enjoyable, Mel!! Lovely review, as always!!! POOF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this book until now but it sounds disappointing :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww dang, I hate it when you can't connect with the characters! I've seen this book around a couple of times, but I'll have to pass....
    btw Mel, I am LOVING your new princess rating system! So cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard a couple similar things about this book as you've mentioned. Which is a shame because I LOVE the concept. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0