Wednesday, October 31, 2012 13:00

Review 90. Emma Cornwall – Incarnation.

IncarnationTitle: Incarnation.
Author: Emma Cornwall.
Pages: 352.
Published: September 18th 2012.
Publisher: Gallery Books.
Sort: Stand alone.
Source: Edelweis & Publisher.
In the steampunk world of Victorian London, a beautiful vampire seeks out the author of Dracula–to set the record straight . . . If one is to believe Bram Stoker’s legendary vampire tale, Lucy Weston is Dracula’s most wanton creation, a sexual creature of the night who preys on innocent boys. But the real-life Lucy is nothing like her fictional counterpart—and she demands to know why the Victorian author deliberately lied. With Stoker’s reluctant help, she’s determined to track down the very fiend who transformed her—from the sensual underworld where humans vie to become vampires, to a hidden cell beneath a temple to madness, and finally into the glittering Crystal Palace where death reigns supreme. Haunted by fragmentary memories of her lost life and love, Lucy must battle her thirst for blood as she struggles to stop a catastrophic war that will doom vampires and humans alike. Ultimately, she must make a choice that illuminates for her—and for us—what it means to be human.
 Rating: Favorite.

In the beginning, I struggled with this book, but after a few chapters I was sucked into this story. I could not put it down and I was mesmerized by the world and characters Emma crafted. This book puts vampires in another light and there is even a touch of another magical creature.

“She and I were one, Lucy and the being who had clawed her way from the grave. We inhabited the same body, shared the same mind, had the same memories.”

From the first page, we are plunged in Lucy’s new life. When she awakes in a coffin, she knows something strange is going on. After digging herself out of the earth, she visits her old house. Her parents and sister are gone, but she finds some clues in a book written by Stoker. It’s exactly her story, but he added wrong details and she hunts him down in order to get answers.

It appears that something bigger is going on and on her way to find her maker, Lucy gets information out of different corners. Felix, a close vampire to Lady Blanchard, and Marco, a Protector. Apparently, Mordred – the vampire king – disappeared around the day she was turned. With him gone, the balance between humans and vampires is in danger. It’s up to Lucy and Marcus to find him.

It won’t be that easy, because danger lurks every where. It's a race against the clock and they better find Mordred before it is too late.

Opinion. 
The first thing I noticed about this book are the rich details. The world-building is incredible and beautifully crafted. During Lucy’s quest to find her maker, she gets a lot of information. At the end, everything falls together into this amazing plot. The little bits and pieces really deliver that Victorian feeling without getting too much. The background story of every character and happening was so well-thought. It’s fast-paced and filled with great characters.

Lucy is very likable and clever. She is strong and the opposite of whiny. When she finds out that she is a vampire – and be aware of the fact that these creatures are unknown at this time - she manages to deal with it in a great way. Then there is of course Marco. There is a romance between them, but it develops good and it plays a small role. I liked him. Despite his believes, he opens up for Lucy and he is protective in a cute way. 

There are no sparkling vampires in this book. They are beautiful, but deadly and you better watch out. I would not turn my back on them. There is this scene where vampires are fighting against each other.. believe me, that won’t be a pretty sight.

The only critic I can think of, is the ending. Everything from the important storyline is tied together, but there is still room for your imagination on one detail. I wish I knew.. I will be keeping an eye on this author, because I can’t wait to read another book from her.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I'm glad to hear the world was well built, that's hard to come by sometimes. I've heard great things about this book from so many people now. Amazing review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this sounds really good and the world building sounds super compelling and that always works to suck me into a book! I really like this cover, too! Fab review, chickie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I adore books that have great world-building! Lucy sounds like an awesome mc, and this book sounds amazing. It's also great to hear that the vampires are portrayed as the dark creatures they are! Great review, Mel! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, this sounds super intriguing. I'm really wary of vampire books nowadays, but I might give this one a shot. I love books that have good world-building and this sounds like a fantastic re-telling of the Dracula legend. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! great review my dear Mel! I havent come across by any review of this book and Im glad you are sharing your thoughts about it. Im all about Vampire but better yet when the story rocs like this one! And Marco =9 yummy! I want to see that cute side of his.

    If the ending wasnt entirely satisfactory, maybe there is a sequel? I hope so! since it seems to be a great Vampire novel :)
    Thanks for sharing my dear! Im gonna keep an eye on this one! I miss reading about Vampire =9

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woah, this book sounds really freaking unique! The vampires sound different too, that's always a plus. I haven't heard much about it, but I'm looking forward to checking it out! Thanks for the fabulous review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds great! I love the storyline and I'm a huge fan of steampunk, so I'll definitely be checking this one out. Thanks for the awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm...I've never heard of this book before but the cover looks gorgeous! It's about steampunk?! YAY! AND SQUEEEE...steampunk + vampires? EVEN BETTER. Can't wait to read this book ;)

    Awesome review, Mel ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vivian the Spirit says: I've had my eye on this book for such a long time, and now you've just made me want it SOOO much more!! >_< I do like the way vampires are being portrayed here. No sparkly vampires for me please =_= Awww, too bad about the ending, especially if it's a stand alone! Still, this one sounds fantastic and I'm definitely going to try hard to get a copy for Winter Break! Love the cover too *o* Fantastic review as always, Mel!!

    and OMG. I LOOOOVE your Winnie the Pooh signatures; they are SO adorable >.< POOF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mel,
    Love the cover of this book. Steampunk is not really my thing but with vampires? I'll give this book a shot. I love your review on it.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0