Friday, October 26, 2012 19:32

Review 88. Ruth Frances Long – The treachery of beautiful things.

The Treachery of Beautiful ThingsTitle: The treachery of beautiful things.
Author: Ruth Frances Long.
Pages: 384.
Published: August 16th 2012.  
Publisher: Dial Books.
Sort: Stand alone.
The trees swallowed her brother whole, and Jenny was there to see it. Now seventeen, she revisits the woods where Tom was taken, resolving to say good-bye at last. Instead, she's lured into the trees, where she finds strange and dangerous creatures who seem to consider her the threat. Among them is Jack, mercurial and magnetic, with secrets of his own. Determined to find her brother, with or without Jack's help, Jenny struggles to navigate a faerie world where stunning beauty masks some of the most treacherous evils, and she's faced with a choice between salvation or sacrifice--and not just her own.
Rating:

I had a hard time with this book. It has a nice fairytale feeling, but it was very slow. Especially in the middle part, where the story dragged a little, but the ending made it so much better! It delivered a great plot and I end up liking it.

Summary.
Jenny’s brother was swallowed by the trees and taken by The Greenman, but nobody believed her. Her parents never stopped mourning over their son and Jenny is happen to go away. She is planning to go to college in another town and she wants to say goodbye to Tom. That’s before she hears his music; he was a gifted musician. Without thinking, Jenny storms into the woods where she meets Jack and Puck. Jack has many names, but one of his most important tasks is to guard the edge. Jenny is in grave danger and he must help her to return to her world. One problem: she doesn’t want to return without Tom.

Jack is trying to keep her away from the dangerous Queen of the forest, Titania, but King Oberon is also after Jenny. In this world, she isn’t just Jenny. She is someone special and everybody wants her for their own reasons. Even Jack has a lot to win if he turns Jenny in. Can she survive the forest and escape with Tom? Or will she lose even more?

Opinion.
The treachery of beautiful things, indeed. Faeries are known for their beauty, but they can’t be trusted. There are some conspiracies. Puck answers to Oberon, Jack is torn between two ‘masters’- and all he actually wants is his heart and freedom. I liked them. Jack sounds handsome with his two different colored eyes and his dark hair.

Jenny was a damsel in distress in the beginning of the story. She doesn’t know what is going on and she depends on Jack. She strongly stands up for what she wants (finding Tom) and she will do anything to achieve that, even risking her own life. She became more kick ass towards the end of the story, where she is trying to get Jack back. I thought she was nice; she has a good heart, but that also made her naive in some situations.

There is some romance in this story – like you can expect from a fairytale-ish book – but it doesn’t play the main role. It’s all about her search for Tom, while everybody is looking for her. I loved the whole background story. Why they all want Jenny and who Jack really is.

The writing-style is pleasant, but sometimes a bit slow like I already said. It does paint a pretty picture of the forest and the creatures in it. The descriptions are well-done.  I was never bored and there is a lot going on. One moment, Jack is trying to persuade her to leave the forest, the other moment her soul is taken and he must fight to gain her back. And the end, I thought it was incredibly sweet! I was very happy with the ending.1
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

14 comments:

  1. Very curious about this one! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!! Going to check this out and I love the cover :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab review! I haven't heard much about this book but I'm loving the cover for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I want to read this even more now! I'm glad you ended up liking it, even though it was slow in the middle for you. Can't wait to read this!!! (PS EEYORE!!! EEEP! SO. CUTE!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this was a sweet book too but it never did manage to capture my full attention. I Guess it was just TOO nice, if that makes sense. Awesome review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great! Even though you only gave it 3/5 stars, I think I'll read it anyway. I love that the faeries are the same characters as Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. It really makes it feel like they're alive out there somewhere and still up to their shenanigans.

    Old follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review Mel. I really really like that cover. Im scared to read this because of the slow part, but it sounds good, we will see. Im adding this on my tbr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to read this book! The cover is just GORGEOUS but I've read some mixed reviews so I wasn't sure. The fairytale aspect is intriguing ;)

    Awesome review, Mel ♥ Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been really looking forward to this one, but I've read several reviews that have said it's a bit slow and that's disappointing. Though, clearly, the ending is fabulous so that might be enough to keep this one on my list! Really lovely review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's too bad this book doesn't match up to its gorgeous cover. It does look really interesting, though, and I'm glad that the Jenny got more kick-ass towards the end instead of being a damsel in distress the whole book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. aw i'm glad it was sweet & had a happy ending! i've heard mixed reviews of this one but will try to give it a shot soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to hear that the descriptions in this are gorgeous, but sad to hear it's a little slow... but never mind, I'm pretty sure it was a good read nonetheless :) Great review!

    Rabiah @ Confessions of a Readaholic

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mel! Thank you for visiting my blog. I'm following you now, btw! :)

    Okay, I've been dying to read this book for months! But the enthusiasm sort of faded naturally. I love books about faeries but after reading The Iron Fey series which is probably one of the most unique take on fey, I don't think I'll be easily impressed by faery books again. But because you said the writing is pleasant albeit a bit slow, I will look into this again. Glad you enjoyed it! Great honest review!

    Precious
    Fragments of Life

    ReplyDelete
  14. This story is very interesting. At first I was thinking it was rather odd. But, it quickly won my heart and I love it. I would recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy.
    suggested Divorce Attorney Dallas Engle Law Group

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0