Friday, October 19, 2012 12:37

Review 86. Alex Flinn – Bewitching.

Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles, #2)Title: Bewitching.
Author: Alex Flinn.
Pages: 336.
Published: February 14th 2012.
Publisher: HarperTeen.
Sort: Part two of ‘Kendra’s chronicles.’
Review part one: Beastly.
Bewitching can be a beast.. Once, I put a curse on a beastly and arrogant high school boy. That one turned out all right. Others didn't. I go to a new school now--one where no one knows that I should have graduated long ago. I'm not still here because I'm stupid; I just don't age.  You see, I'm immortal. And I pretty much know everything after hundreds of years--except for when to take my powers and butt out. I want to help, but things just go awry in ways I could never predict. Like when I tried to free some children from a gingerbread house and ended up being hanged. After I came back from the dead (immortal, remember?), I tried to play matchmaker for a French prince and ended up banished from France forever. And that little mermaid I found in the "Titanic" lifeboat? I don't even want to think about it. Now a girl named Emma needs me. I probably shouldn't get involved, but her gorgeous stepsister is conniving to the core. I think I have just the thing to fix that girl--and it isn't an enchanted pumpkin. Although you never know what will happen when I start.. bewitching
Rating:

What a clever written story. Yes, there is instant-love, but that didn’t bother me. It’s cute and told in such a sweet way, I totally buy it. And let me tell you a secret; I believe, deep down, in love at first sight. Most of the time it’s just lust, but I do believe that it happens sometimes.

Summary.
This story is all about Kendra and the ‘good’ deeds she has achieved so far. The first part of the book is about her past. She lost her parents, sisters and brothers during a plague, but she managed to survive and she saved her brother. She took her brother with her to another city. On their way in the woods, they stumble on a witch and they are in trouble.

From here on, we are told about several stories. The main story is about Emma, a girl who lives a happy life with her mother and stepfather. She is a bit lonely and her mother is sometimes pushy when it comes to appearance, but her life is fine. That is until Lisette arrives. She is her stepfather’s real daughter and the mother recently passed away. This girl is pure evil. She takes over Emma’s life and Emma – good, naive and sweet as she is – let her do it. Lisette is a true witch. She is a nasty girl who hides her ugly personality behind her gorgeous looks. I wanted to jump into the story to strangle her (and to give Emma a slap in the face to wake her up). When Lisette takes something important from Emma, she is going to gain her life back. Things will turn out different than she expected.

There are also two side stories and they are lovely. It was fun to discover which fairytale retelling they were.

Opinion.
Kendra could be my best friend. She is smart, sweet and she isn’t afraid to be herself. Even when everybody is laughing at her for her clothes, she keeps wearing them. Even when everybody is picking on her, she will remain silence. Yeah, I liked her so much.

Emma is a sweetheart, but she is way too naive. She should have listen to her mother, but I can also understand some of her choices. She wants to make the best out of the situation and she is trying so hard to fit in. Emma doesn’t see how special she is, but I’m glad she found someone who did.

The writing-style is flawless. Easy to read, fast-paced and clever. Beastly was fun, but this one was even better.Leuk he

9 comments:

  1. I liked this book too. And the cover! I did wanted to read more about Kendra, but maybe in the next book we'll get more info about her.
    Great review and I'm glad you liked it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea there was a sequel to Beastly, though I haven't read that one either. This sounds quite interesting! I've concluded that insta-love is somewhat inescapable if you want romance in a stand-alone. Though there are degrees of insta-love, of course. You can still try for a little build-up!

    Also, I love Piglet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only heard of Alex Flinn's Beastly but I heard that her books are really enjoyable! Her re-tellings of fairytale are really interesting so I need to read this book soon ;)

    Awesome review, Mel ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww.. thats sweet that you believe in love at first sight.. for me, i don't know if it exists, but lets hope :P Anyways, I'm not a fan of books with instalove, but sometimes, if their written well, i might just enjoy it. And Kendra sounds like an adorable girl!! Emma sounds nice as well! Lovely review, i might just pick this up!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love characters that don't let anyone bring them down! This sounds fantastic! I am definitely going to add this to my tbr =)

    Awesome review =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! So happy you enjoyed Bewitching too! Kendra's SO awesome. <3 I totally agree, there was insta-love, but it didn't bother me in the slightest! I guess Alex Flinn's writing was just too beautiful. :P Lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still like Beastly a little better, but I LOVED this book too. I totally agree with you about Kendra! She's amazing and I want to be her friend! Haha. Great review Mel. Hope you're having fun reading ALL THE FAIRY TALES! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read Beastly, but I have yet to read this! The mc sounds so cool, will need to bump this to the top of my tbr. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I really like the sound of this. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Easy to read, fast paced and cleaver sounds just perfect! Fab review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0